Home

Ask Coach/Calling your own plays

This is a discussion on Ask Coach/Calling your own plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9

Hey guys, quick question.

I've been using "Ask Coach" and usually pick the middle play (unless it's like 4 verticals) for as long as I can remember. So I'm kind of curious, on how the majority of people call plays.

On offense, I feel like I won't get a good balance of run/pass, and I'm not playing how my team would play in real life. I also feel like I'll use certain plays too much (not always cheese plays). On the other hand, I feel like I'm not using my whole playbook, and I might use too many borderline money plays that the CPU coach calls for me when using Ask Coach.

On defense, I'm completely lost. I'm not good at using correct formations and such, and I'm for sure not good at playcalling based on the situation. It's just my lack of defensive IQ I suppose.

I guess what I'm asking here is, as a sim player, is "Ask Coach" the better option, or would it be better to just adjust and learn to call my own plays?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Like you, I think using ask coach is realistic in that during a game you don't look at the entire play book to call a play (my opinion). I typically go with what's called unless it's a play that I KNOW has a low success rate being that I'm the HC around here.

In some situations I take over the play calling still using ask coach as my pool of plays from which to choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ask Coach/Calling your own plays

On offence I typically call a play I like then no huddle the rest of the drive, so pick what play I want each down based on what is available.

On D I always call all my plays by formation so I can match up my DBs with how many receivers the CPU has, or one extra DB if I think it's an obvious passing down, or opposite for a run.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin
On D I always call all my plays by formation so I can match up my DBs with how many receivers the CPU has, or one extra DB if I think it's an obvious passing down, or opposite for a run.
On D I keep my base on the field against 3 WRs or less and call plays based on the situation. For blitzing, I send no more than 5 guys! I typically only blitz when they run a set where the only blockers in front of the QB are the Olineman!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Rookie

noles367's Arena

I find Ask Coach to be a huge timesaver for me on offense. Between the 12 or so plays they pick, I'm always finding something I want to call.

This years game it seems much improved with my custom playbook. Some plays still never show up, but thankfully the suggestions are much more varied and helpful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm pretty sure if you do ask coach and don't scroll you won't see a certain amount of your plays ever. I don't know how it's programmed, but I just about always use "Ask Coach" for offense, but the rare times I go by formation I realize that there are some plays that I NEVER see. Just something to think about.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_0_3
I'm pretty sure if you do ask coach and don't scroll you won't see a certain amount of your plays ever. I don't know how it's programmed, but I just about always use "Ask Coach" for offense, but the rare times I go by formation I realize that there are some plays that I NEVER see. Just something to think about.
I feel like I get much greater offensive balance using ask coach as I'm not great at putting offensive plays together to run a scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by NoleFan; 08-14-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

I use ask coach with a few house rules.

When I'm using a freshman QB or someone very inexperienced, I use ask coach but can only pick between the 3 plays on the screen. I also don't audible and can only hot route one receiver.

For veteran/really good quarterbacks I use ask coach, but I can scroll through the plays and hot route as many players as I want.

I'll really only go to formations when I want to run a specific play or use a certain backup player that I have in formation subs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »