Home

Changing teams - What to do?

This is a discussion on Changing teams - What to do? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0
Changing teams - What to do?

I just started season 3 in my offline dynasty. I spent the first 2 years at Army as the OC. In season 1 I ran the Army offence, lots of option. I found I was pretty terrible at it as I'd have 3/4 turnovers a game from what can only be described as horrible decisions on when to pitch the ball!

In my 2nd year I flicked between playbooks and simmed a little and went 5-7 for the 2nd straight year. I also decided to go up tempo and go all 3 levels of the hurry up improvement trait for my OC. I did manage to recruit a 77OVR FB in the off season, which made me decide to run with the USC playbook and go more pro style. In year 3 I went 8-4 but got blown out in the bowl game, but I was much more competitive and really enjoyed it. I generally got into 1 formation and no huddled it down the field until I could set up play action, worked pretty well.

My problem is I just took a job as OC for Mid Tenn State. Their offence is an 88, their QB is a 93OVR Junior, and I couldn't resist. My problem is I don't know how I should play?! I reset my coaching tree (cheesy, I felt bad after I'd done it, and I'll reset it back as soon as I've finished the season). I thought with a top QB, I'd go back to huddling up. I've just lost my identity of how I want to play!

I wanted advice from other people who have changed teams:
Do you keep the style and scheme you have and just impose it on your new team?
Do you see what personnel the new team has and create a scheme to fit them?
Do you try and run whatever the team you're running runs from their current playbook?

Any help appreciated, I'm not sure what to do at present and wondered how other people approached moving teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Pro

nwfdwill's Arena

OVR: 10
I always use a pro style offense because I find that no matter the personnel, my Playbook has a wide array of different things I can do. I use the LSU playbook. I use a good bit of pistol formation because you can run and pass out of it with success. I've used it for great and mediocre teams and done well. In my current dynasty, I started off as oc for LSU to build my draft class for a few years on Madden. I then took over a 73 ranked ULL team who had TERRIBLE offensive players outside of qb and managed some success.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Changing teams - What to do?

i was at Old Dominion for 3 seasons, where I built up from a 5-7, to a 6-6, to a 7-5 season but missed out on bowl games

i started with the school air raid system but huddled up, to fit in with their stud QB and worked pretty well. QB graduated after year 2, and had a senior scrambling QB step up, so i switched to a no-huddle spread-option game - and took advantage of some decent HB/WR/ATH recruits to get through games (i found it harder using the option game than air raid, guess i got used to it)

never really got the option to level up my co-ordinators how i wanted to as they kept switching out and got some low-level guys

have just switched jobs to HC of Clemson, thinking of running the air-raid (WVU playbook) as i have a 98 OVR balanced QB

I generally switch up depending on my roster, but i do prefer a quick-fire balanced spread playbook normally
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0

The more I think about it, the more my thought process goes along the lines of "they hired me to run an offence for them, they didn't hire me to run their offence"

I don't have a vast knowledge of college football, but I'd imagine most programmes are pretty fluid in their style of offence, if someone new comes in then things go through some change. I think I may want to stick with what I do well, or did with success, at Army. That's what got me a job somewhere else, so it's probably what my new team would want me to do.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 5

For me, I try and look at the current personnel first.

I prefer running the Read Option, but if I don't have the speed for it, I'm not going to try and put a square peg in a round hole. Then again, when I evaluate what team to jump ship to (if I do), I try and stick with like minded teams so I'll have a better chance of immediate success to build upon.

If none of those choices are available, I'll take a challenge and go with something completely opposite of my current situation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Just started!

Snowcoog's Arena

OVR: 1
Thumbs down Re: Changing teams - What to do?

How good is your Running Back and Full Back? If both are pretty solid then maybe run a pro style offense that sets up the play-action through the run.

If instead you have both sucking, then look to the WR and TE. If you have amazing WR, or a speedy slot WR then maybe run pseudo-spread, or maybe even go full Spread. If the TE is great, maybe run some 2 WR, 1 TE as your base offense (pro style of course) And eat up the middle. You can both run and pass, with having that TE as a extra blocker. Great also for making audibles since the formation has the threat of either/or.

If neither are inspiring, or all about the same, then look last to your line. See where they excel more. Maybe they have higher Run Blocking, or Higher Pass Blocking. Remember, you want to try to play towards the strengths of the roster that you inherit the first year. After that, with recruiting you can begin to instil a offense more towards your liking. Just have a thought of what you would eventually like to run, and start building towards it.

Have you also tried making a custom playbook? Maybe you are a mad genius that can multiple rabbits out of your hat every game. That may be what I suggest you run in the end, but maybe you don't like the process it takes to make one.

Either way good luck!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »