Home

Playing as a defensive lineman...

This is a discussion on Playing as a defensive lineman... within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Playing as a defensive lineman...

Wanted to get some pointers from people that have had success playing as a defensive lineman. I enjoy doing this, especially turning the camera angle to the defensive side of the ball, and I have seemed to struggle much more than usual this year.

Obviously not being able to jump the snap makes things more realistic, but pressing L1 and R1 to arm bar while engaged doesnt seem to have much success this year.

It appears that you can bullrush with more success this year, especially if youre playing a lower end school, but i dont seem to be shedding the block well once I get the offensive lineman moving back.

Can anyone give me on pointers on things they have done and had success with vs both the run and the pass.

Do you press R2 for the speed acceleration as soon as the ball is snapped? Do you press a certain button to shed most blocks when engaged on a run play and something different to shed blocks rushing the passer?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Playing as a defensive lineman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleC26
Wanted to get some pointers from people that have had success playing as a defensive lineman. I enjoy doing this, especially turning the camera angle to the defensive side of the ball, and I have seemed to struggle much more than usual this year.

Obviously not being able to jump the snap makes things more realistic, but pressing L1 and R1 to arm bar while engaged doesnt seem to have much success this year.

It appears that you can bullrush with more success this year, especially if youre playing a lower end school, but i dont seem to be shedding the block well once I get the offensive lineman moving back.

Can anyone give me on pointers on things they have done and had success with vs both the run and the pass.

Do you press R2 for the speed acceleration as soon as the ball is snapped? Do you press a certain button to shed most blocks when engaged on a run play and something different to shed blocks rushing the passer?
My most successful move is lining up outside a blocker, cutting to the inside of his block with a special move (swim, spin etc) and getting into the backfield.

The biggest drawback though is on read options, the game pulls you automatically to the RB, even if you want to hit the QB. If you leave fast QB's open for runs passed the line of scrimmage. Otherwise on passing plays, you get right in the QB's face if you time the moves properly.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
All Star

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I always take the LE and rush to the outside, that way I always contain the run. I never use any speed burst unless I beat my man that was blocking me and I'm going straight to the QB. The only move I use is flicking the right stick to the right, flicking it to the left is a move for going inside and that will leave me vulnerable against outside runs. The best piece of advice is that when the ball is snapped and something appears to be too good to be true, it is. If nobody is blocking you, stop and hold your ground because the QB is coming your way on a read option. If the HB is on your side of the formation in the shotgun and you effortlessly blow past the line, it's a screen so hurry and get outside and blow up the RB for a 5 yard loss
Old 08-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoco11
My most successful move is lining up outside a blocker, cutting to the inside of his block with a special move (swim, spin etc) and getting into the backfield.

The biggest drawback though is on read options, the game pulls you automatically to the RB, even if you want to hit the QB. If you leave fast QB's open for runs passed the line of scrimmage. Otherwise on passing plays, you get right in the QB's face if you time the moves properly.
Hold strafe and press the left stick in the opposite direction that you blitzed from so that you literally come to a dead stop if you want to play the QB. You won't be able to dive and take out both the RB and QB like year's past. QB's almost seem to have this invincibility shield around them until they are completely finished with the mesh handoff animation. Only then can you tackle them. I can understand why they did this as the player movement is still not realistic in this game (although noticeably better than past iterations) and user controlled ends could blow zone reads up every time if they wanted. Still though, it's a little irritating when your defensive end dives right through two players and doesn't seem to affect either of them.

As for the OP's question, don't forget to press down on the R-stick as well. Especially if you're facing a tackle that you're having trouble getting around. This will sometimes allow you to push the OT into the QB and collapse the pocket. Forcing the QB to either throw it before he wants to, or tuck and run.

Last edited by Pokes404; 08-10-2013 at 06:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »