Home

SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games

This is a discussion on SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Pro

kjjnesb's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: No SEC in Future College Football Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by awill25
I think there is no question that this is a game changer. Hard to imagine at least a couple other conferences won't follow suit. I do think it is only a matter of time before the NCAA reign over major college football is over. Then it will be a complete bidding war!
Yeah I mean imagine if a SEC team wins the Championship and finishes #1 yet isn't featured in the game it'd be kinda weird.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Pro

TallyBoi7's Arena

OVR: 8

Time to create FCS football 2015...I'm sure these schools would LOVE to be on a video game again...$$$ lol

Edit: Then again...the FCS playoff system belongs to the NCAA...
MLB: Atlanta Braves

Last edited by TallyBoi7; 08-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhhsfu0509
Just to clarify, the article says the teams can choose on their own whether or not to participate in the game. But the SEC and all of it's naming, imagery, etc will not.
That's true. I would be surprised if they did, but they certainly could.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
"Each school makes its own individual decision regarding whether or not to license their trademarks for use in the EA Sports game(s)," the SEC said in a statement. "The Southeastern Conference has chosen not to do so moving forward.
"Neither the SEC, its member universities, nor the NCAA have ever licensed the right to use the name or likeness of any student to EA Sports."
We know that no one has licensed the right to use the name of any student to EA Sports. That's why there were no player names in the game, only numbers.

Quote:
The NCAA's statement last month included similar language about current student athletes, but cited legal costs as the reason for not renewing its contract with EA Sports.
"We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games," the NCAA said. "But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.
"Legal costs" are the reason for not renewing its contract with EA Sports?? Legal costs?? Really??? Aren't the legal costs in defending the lawsuit? Why would renewing the contract cost them any more in legal fees if they are confident in their legal position?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 5

Someone explain how this will really change anything?

I mean, not having the specific licensed SEC won't leave a big impact because there will be a generic one. Just like in the old playstation 1 and 2 Tiger Woods video games, they didn't have the Masters, but there was always a southern championship conveniently located in georgia, where it looked identical.

The only thing it really affects is commentary which will hopefully mean they take some of that money and put it to better, more updated, in depth commentary.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 9

R.I.P. College Football
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Pro

War Eagle!'s Arena

we can't have anything. I'm so sick of lawsuits and patent wars I don't know what to do.

forget the consumer. businesses totally run without them /sarcasm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfan
Someone explain how this will really change anything?

I mean, not having the specific licensed SEC won't leave a big impact because there will be a generic one. Just like in the old playstation 1 and 2 Tiger Woods video games, they didn't have the Masters, but there was always a southern championship conveniently located in georgia, where it looked identical.

The only thing it really affects is commentary which will hopefully mean they take some of that money and put it to better, more updated, in depth commentary.

Without 1 of the Major conferences, this game takes a serious blow. EA has to choose now if they want the game to be 100% generic or to include 90% of the other teams. This is alarming for all conference because SEC players are the least likely to join in the lawsuit since they are already paid. But for the other conferences who players aren't paid watch out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »