Home

Mop Up Time(Is it worth it)

This is a discussion on Mop Up Time(Is it worth it) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18
Mop Up Time(Is it worth it)

I have been playing this game since it's conception when they could not even name the teams. Anyways I was and have wondered this for quite sometime, have any of you noticed if subbing in your backups makes a difference when it comes to them improving for next year or if it is just done at random? I very rarely put in my 2nd string in blowouts but I do rotate my defensive players from time to time. Any insight on this would be helpful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2004, 05:40 AM   #2
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Mop Up Time(Is it worth it)

It would be interesting if playing time affected training, but I'm pretty convinced it doesn't. Hey, if someone who's been playing as long as you hasn't seen any playing time effects, I think it's safe to say it's not in the game.

On a sidenote, I like the mass substitution option, but never use it. Anybody else have a problem with who gets put in as the mop up crew? I expect to see my number 4, 5, and 6 receivers, but I see DB's coming in as receivers? And then I see backup receivers playing on defense -- actually, I think sometimes they're my starting receivers. I don't want them getting injured doing that stuff. What football team beyond high school does this?
Old 01-03-2004, 05:54 AM   #3
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

Quote:

rns said:
Hey, if someone who's been playing as long as you hasn't seen any playing time effects, I think it's safe to say it's not in the game.

One reason I have not noticed it is I have never gone back and simmed after having played a season, nor have I used the mop up role on offense. So I really would not know how to notice it. I agree that playing time probably does not affect it but it would be cool if it did. When you have teams like Miami, Oklahoma, USC, and so on that can 2 to 3 deep and still compete with other teams first string, you find those teams constantly rotating in players so they have big game experience. Like I said I do that on D but I would not be able to tell if it makes a difference in their ratings or not.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
Pro

Chibi's Arena

OVR: 11

I think the biggest problem with mass subs not working very well is the 55-player roster limit. That puts a serious crimp in depth.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

I have noticed some impact from subbing. It seems like the guys you sub the most improve the most - especially at running back and linebacker. But - others claim to see no impact.

I always sub during blowouts to avoid injuries to my best players. Just last game (first game of the 2006 season), I lost my #1 wide receiver for the season on a pass play in the third quarter when I was up 14. I was really pissed at myself for allowing him to get hurt, but, what else could I have done...it was too early to get the subs in.

Last year, I lost my starting QB for 12 weeks in the last game of the year - in the third quarter - when I was up by 20.

I think that these types of injuries, alone, make subbing in blowouts essential. After these two injuries, I may even start subbing earlier...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

Thanks Steelerfan, I appreciate the info. Last night I decided to start subbing when I was up big to ensure that no players were hurt, especially since the Canes are next up for me. Hopefully I will see some marked improvement once I get to the offseason.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

they need to creat injuries which become nagging. this would make more people sub. as it is right now they have season ending injuries, multiple game injuries and in game like 2 quarter injuries. that's cool but what they need is for say kellen winslow to get a knee injury and go out for the game, but then maybe a few times during the year have the same injury crop up here and there. this would be more realistic and also make people more apt to sub because if they got recurring injuries it would mean you'd never really know when your guys could go down because of some earlier season boneheaded decision to keep your guys in when they were up 48-10.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

The nagging injuries would be a neat feature. Madden has it to some extent with doubtful, probable, etc but once they come back to full health it goes away. It would add some more realism to the game. Maybe we should put that on the wishlist thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »