Home

Shutting down the run/broken tackles

This is a discussion on Shutting down the run/broken tackles within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
Shutting down the run/broken tackles

Am I the only one having trouble tackling the ball carrier? I have RB ability at 60. Is that too high? User tackle has been at 60 too.

I just see repeated dive tackle attempts shaken off by the ball carrier and tackle animations not triggering when just trying to run into them. This is especially true behind the LOS.

My leagues play on Heisman and some guys do well shutting down the run (mostly with 4-3, 4-4 and 5-2). However, with 3-4 and 4-2-5 I get pretty much shredded. Is 4-3 just the way to go this year?

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Shutting down the run/broken tackles

If nothing else, I think that the "dragging the defender" animation lets the CPU ball carrier go way too far. All too often, I square a guy up at the line of scrimmage, and he drags my defender seven or eight yards. It should be 3-4 most of the time.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't get it. You turned up RB Ability slider to 60.. now complaining that RBs break too many tackles.

Idk.. maybe lower it back to 50?

Also.. 'just running into them' doesn't really work this year. Use hitstick or press square to tackle better.

I find 4-3 works better stopping the run then the 3-4.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
That's part of what I was asking. Is the 60 RB Ability to blame? Are people experiencing the same thing with lower levels? It's an easy fix if that is the cause but if its similar at 50 then no point. I have two dynasties using those sliders so I don't want to arbitrarily change anything significant.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

60 is high for a ball carrier, especially on Heisman.

our OD uses 45 for user and CPU, run blocking at 10 user/cpu, tackling at 40(maybe 45) user/cpu.

the good cpu RBs are still putting up decent numbers, the great RBs are putting up really solid numbers. the CPU will still abandon the run as normal though if you get out 14 or higher early.

I tend to use the "missle lock" tackle rather than the "tap" dive tackle. I also run 4-3 even in 3 WR looks, the new blocking techniques are killer when a pulling guard or Tackle gets on a LB so you really need 4 Dlinemen clogging up the holes so the LBs can try and stay free of Oline blockers.

I'm the top Rush defense in one of my ODs but I'm top 30 in pass defense because often times my LBs get stretched out or my SS gets stuck in coverage too often.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

RBA ability at 50 is too high because of the unnecessary jukes in the open field and the ridiculous amount of trucking by RBs/QBs that shouldn't be doing it.

I have RBA at 40 and TAK at 50 and it seems right. I have to plan and commit to stopping the run. I was running with the RBA at 30 and 35 and it was a little too easy to stop the run. A team with a decent running game should be a concern for you going into the match up. I think 40 does the trick. Speed threshold at 50.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

If you're going to put RBA at 60, you need to adjust your TAK and make it higher. From my experience, your TAK needs to be about 10 points higher than RBA.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I have no problem tackling RBs, but every quarterback I face, regardless of his break tackle rating plays like he's Tim Tebow or Cam Newton when I hit them

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »