Home

How does Letter of Intent's "Steal a prospect" work?

This is a discussion on How does Letter of Intent's "Steal a prospect" work? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: How does Letter of Intent's "Steal a prospect" work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conception
I scarcely have a hard time getting 25 recruits before offseason, so I've never had to use this.
I have house rules that only allow me to assign 2/3 points in:
  • opener
  • closer
  • royal treatment
  • (Most importantly)Kitchen Sink
Before I added these restrictions, w/ 6* Michigan I signed in season EVERY recruit on whom I spent 700 points. Now, even w/ 6* schools I always have to sign multiple guys in the offseason. It's even tough enough that, knowing I can't count on signing more than 4-5 guys in the offseason, I'll have to cut bait on some studs and go after vastly inferior guys just so I can spend my offseason points on other studs that I need more.

On top of that I can only offer schollies to as many guys as necessary to get to 70 players and don't allow cuts. This means that if I'm recruiting a stud where I'll have to battle all season long w/ Alabama then I can't just go after another guy as a plan B instead.

Furthermore, I'm not allowed to talk anyone into staying that declares for the draft or transfers so I'll often have new guys to pursue in the offseason that I couldn't recruit during the season.

EDIT:
I forgot another important house rule of mine that keeps me from signing everyone I want in season.

During the season I'm not allowed to add anyone to my board unless (1) they are 3* or less (2* or less for K/P/FB) and (2) they have me in their top 10.
This keeps me from being able to add any of the hundreds of very good recruits that are inexplicably not being recruited by any CPU teams.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 01-31-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Just a shot in the dark, but could this apply to those recruits you get that you don't recruit but on signing day they sign with you. I get 2-5 players each season that I never recruit, that sign with other schools, but on signing day they go with me. You can see who they are from the class ranking page. You can then go to the prospect list to find them. Most are 3* players and below and all have committed with another smaller school. I have never looked to see how many I have stolen to see if this may apply.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

If you hover your mouse pointer over the skill on your online dynasty webpage, a description of the skill will show up. It says "This skill gives you extra points to spend in the offseason, plus a percentage chance to steal a recruit from the top school."

I think you get the extra points to spend in the offseason, plus a chance at an artificial boost in the offseason to pass the recruits #1 school.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
If you hover your mouse pointer over the skill on your online dynasty webpage, a description of the skill will show up. It says "This skill gives you extra points to spend in the offseason, plus a percentage chance to steal a recruit from the top school."

I think you get the extra points to spend in the offseason, plus a chance at an artificial boost in the offseason to pass the recruits #1 school.
I know this, but the question is "what are the specifics on the 'chance to steal a recruit'". Back when I did this I did a fair amount of experimenting with it and I just recently did a little more (since I just got to it in again in my newish dynasty) and I haven't been able to find anything out.

In 1 test, I "stole" a recruit (again you can see that you steal a recruit because you'll get coach XP for it) where I led on him by 1,300 points and I spent another 15,000 on him. It's stupid to say that I "stole" him because:
1. I was the top school going in, not another school.
2. I would've signed him anyway due to the massive points I poured into him.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
Just started!

Artificial Red's Arena

OVR: 0

The only time i've ever had the "steal a recruit" coach xp trigger was an offseason where I signed 5 or 6 guys so I have no idea which one it was. I had 2 of those recruits who randomly signed with me who I didn't recruit and I only got credit for one "steal" so I'm thinking its not those guys.

The only thing that makes sense to me is if I attempt to recruit somebody during the offseason and lose out, then i have a 10/15/20% chance of signing them anyways. Whether you have to finish in second place or not, who knows?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:42 PM   #14
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial Red
The only time i've ever had the "steal a recruit" coach xp trigger was an offseason where I signed 5 or 6 guys so I have no idea which one it was. I had 2 of those recruits who randomly signed with me who I didn't recruit and I only got credit for one "steal" so I'm thinking its not those guys.

The only thing that makes sense to me is if I attempt to recruit somebody during the offseason and lose out, then i have a 10/15/20% chance of signing them anyways. Whether you have to finish in second place or not, who knows?
That was probably the 1st test I did. I maxed out LoI so I had the 20% chance. Then I only went after guys that didn't have me #1 on their board and I chased a bunch so that I had a better shot @ signing some.

I would spend various # of points on the 10 or so recruits that I pursued (@ a 20% chance I had a decent shot @ signing 1 of these 10). I tried this several times with different recruiting classes and couldn't "steal" anyone and certainly didn't sign any of the guys.

The only way I was able to sign anyone on my board was to spend enough points on them to move me into 1st place.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Letter of Intent works solely w/ offseason recruiting.
Are you sure? Because this may explain the phenomeon whereby you are leading another school and all of a sudden over a 2-3 week period they are gaining 500-1000 points per week on you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN30
Are you sure? Because this may explain the phenomeon whereby you are leading another school and all of a sudden over a 2-3 week period they are gaining 500-1000 points per week on you.
Yes I'm sure.

It sounds like you're seeing is a combination of locksmith and visits.

Recruiting uses very basic math and I've never seen a situation in season that can't be explained by simply adding/subtracting the points and factoring in visits and locksmith (both of which also use very basic math) where necessary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »