Home

OS Community: You make the call

This is a discussion on OS Community: You make the call within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Rookie

jwb0581's Arena

OVR: 2
OS Community: You make the call

Scenario:

Online dynasty, human vs. human. I'm up by 7 with 2:47 left in the game. Facing 4th and 1 from my own 48, I elect to go for it. My opponent quits the game. He claims it's not sim to go for 4th and 1 from your own 48. I say he's crazy and/or covering for the fact that he rage quit in an online dynasty game.

1. Who's right?

and

2. Since "sim" is supposed to emulate real life, does anyone have any college football stats that show how often teams go for it on 4th and 1 from their own 48?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 12
Re: OS Community: You make the call

I would have gone for it too. My defense is usually bad so Id rather try to put the game away then punt and watch my opponent drive down the field and then go for 2 and win
Northern Illinois Huskies
Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Pro

soonermagic88's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb0581
Scenario:

Online dynasty, human vs. human. I'm up by 7 with 2:47 left in the game. Facing 4th and 1 from my own 48, I elect to go for it. My opponent quits the game. He claims it's not sim to go for 4th and 1 from your own 48. I say he's crazy and/or covering for the fact that he rage quit in an online dynasty game.

1. Who's right?

and

2. Since "sim" is supposed to emulate real life, does anyone have any college football stats that show how often teams go for it on 4th and 1 from their own 48?

Thanks in advance.
Personal preference, i would have punted. Not saying that you are wrong though. I do not believe what you did was cheese or in anyway justified him quitting.
Like i said, personally i would have punted and hoped to pin them deep, rather than risk not getting it and them only having half a field to go. Especially with them only needing a field goal to win. If the lead was 3 or more points, then i would have probably gone for it.
Either way, i dont see you as being in the wrong. He took the field, he should be mad at himself for not stopping it.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

OVR: 0

It really depends on how the game has gone to that point. If "up by 7" means 10-3, you absolutely punt the ball and trust your D to make another stop; on the flip side, if the score is 42-49, go for it because both offenses are styling all over the field.

It also depends on what others in in your OD have done in similar situations. If they usually punt, you probably should have punted.

TL;DR There's no right or wrong answer here. It's all about who can cry like a toddler about a video game the longest.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Rookie

mgjohns61585's Arena

OVR: 3

The Mad Hatter would have gone for it!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefrog
It really depends on how the game has gone to that point. If "up by 7" means 10-3, you absolutely punt the ball and trust your D to make another stop; on the flip side, if the score is 42-49, go for it because both offenses are styling all over the field.

It also depends on what others in in your OD have done in similar situations. If they usually punt, you probably should have punted.

TL;DR There's no right or wrong answer here. It's all about who can cry like a toddler about a video game the longest.
I disagree. Especially if your D is doing great you go for it and get the 1 yard and seal the game. You have nothing to lose because if you go for it and fail, your D that has dominated all game and held the offense to only 3 points the whole game takes the field.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfins
I disagree. Especially if your D is doing great you go for it and get the 1 yard and seal the game. You have nothing to lose because if you go for it and fail, your D that has dominated all game and held the offense to only 3 points the whole game takes the field.
Fair point, I hadn't thought about it that way.

It's definitely more of a douche move than punting, but it's not cheesing, glitching, and it certainly doesn't break the unwritten laws of sim play.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Rookie

BoltThrower74's Arena

Depends on if you trust how you've been calling your defense all game. If I've been calling a good defensive game, I'd have probably punted but make no mistake, I don't think you were wrong to go for it. You're playing to win, but it's not like you're being cheap. If he knew it was coming, he could've called something to stop your play. Bottom line is he rage-quit, that's the only thing I see wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »