Home

Xbox version IS different from PS2 version in some subtle ways

This is a discussion on Xbox version IS different from PS2 version in some subtle ways within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
R**k**

OVR: 3
Xbox version IS different from PS2 version in some subtle ways

I played the PS2 version from the day of release up until Christmas, when I got an Xbox. I sold my PS2 version on half.com and bought an Xbox version. I use the same sliders. I noticed some little differences.

Some were cosmetic. I saw some intros that I had never seen in the PS2 version. Also, helmets fly off occasionally in the Xbox that I had never seen in the PS2. Overall graphics are certainly better - I really notice the backgrounds in stadiums with mountains. The sunsets and skies are much better in the Xbox and the player models are more defined. Definite graphical improvements. The game really looks beautiful - although EA could get rid of some of the jaggies that are still apparent in the Xbox version. If ESPN/Sega can do it, then EA can do it as well.

Of course, load times and sim times are much better on the Xbox.

As far as gameplay, the game plays a little harder on the Xbox. I don't know exactly what it is - the player response is less maybe? Not sluggish, and it is not the controls or the controller. But I don't feel like the cuts and jukes are quite as sharp as in the PS2 version. I play with Abner's sliders (All American) and find myself playing more low scoring games. I had always used 8 minute quarters, but I may bump up to 9 or 10. I find myself playing more for field position and taking less chances. I personally think that catching passes is a little harder - but that could be my imagination. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I see more differences in the Xbox version of this game than i see differences in the Xbox versions of ESPN Football and ESPN College Hoops. In those games the differences are mainly cosmetic. But I find that I have had to adjust my gameplay in NCAA Football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Xbox version IS different from PS2 version in some subtle ways

I agree, I played the NCAA demo on OXM and thought it looked a bit better but I didn't at all like how it played. It just didnt' feel right.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:

kevinpars said:
I played the PS2 version from the day of release up until Christmas, when I got an Xbox. I sold my PS2 version on half.com and bought an Xbox version. I use the same sliders. I noticed some little differences.

Some were cosmetic. I saw some intros that I had never seen in the PS2 version. Also, helmets fly off occasionally in the Xbox that I had never seen in the PS2. Overall graphics are certainly better - I really notice the backgrounds in stadiums with mountains. The sunsets and skies are much better in the Xbox and the player models are more defined. Definite graphical improvements. The game really looks beautiful - although EA could get rid of some of the jaggies that are still apparent in the Xbox version. If ESPN/Sega can do it, then EA can do it as well.

Of course, load times and sim times are much better on the Xbox.

As far as gameplay, the game plays a little harder on the Xbox. I don't know exactly what it is - the player response is less maybe? Not sluggish, and it is not the controls or the controller. But I don't feel like the cuts and jukes are quite as sharp as in the PS2 version. I play with Abner's sliders (All American) and find myself playing more low scoring games. I had always used 8 minute quarters, but I may bump up to 9 or 10. I find myself playing more for field position and taking less chances. I personally think that catching passes is a little harder - but that could be my imagination. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I see more differences in the Xbox version of this game than i see differences in the Xbox versions of ESPN Football and ESPN College Hoops. In those games the differences are mainly cosmetic. But I find that I have had to adjust my gameplay in NCAA Football.

One of the reason why it may be difficult to cut or juke on Xbox is because you're using the analog stick as opposed to using the d-pad on PS2.

I think intros vary. Since I've repurchased NCAA, i've seen intros that were not in my first xbox copy of NCAA.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:49 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I used the analog on both systems.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

Small minor note...On the PS2 version Miami(Go Canes), Oklahoma, and Texas all have the correct facemask color. On the Xbox version they don't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Review said:
Small minor note...On the PS2 version Miami(Go Canes), Oklahoma, and Texas all have the correct facemask color. On the Xbox version they don't.

LOL.. glad you said minor note.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:

bdunn13 said:
Quote:

Review said:

LOL.. glad you said minor note.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I agree with you on the cutback options Ps2 the gameplay is just flawless. But i like the X-Box better than the 3 major consoles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »