Home

Playaction off of Spread-option plays

This is a discussion on Playaction off of Spread-option plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1
Playaction off of Spread-option plays

I'm running a Spread-option playbook pretty successfully right now focusing on zone-read and inverted veer plays. I've been sticking with these plays because there is generally a play-action pass off of them in any formation. I'd like to run some of the other option plays such as and
but I can't find many of these types of option plays with a corresponding playaction pass. Can anyone direct me to some of these types of runs that also have a playaction?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Playaction off of Spread-option plays

The play action passes are typically named the same as the corresponding run with PA attached at the beginning. They're usually found in the same formation set. Make a custom playbook and you can have them all together and ordered how you like.

Be cool.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

I know that many of the play-action passes are named to make it easy to pair it with the run play. My custom playbook has "Read-option" "PA Read" "Inverted Veer" and "PA Inverted Veer" in pretty much every formation. I'm curious if anyone has found a play-action pass off of one of the non-standard option plays such as the "Buck Read Option" or the "Counter Read Option." I'd like to add some variety to my running game but want to have a play-action pass of every run if possible and can't find any plays that say "PA Buck Read" or "PA Counter Read."
Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
I'm running a Spread-option playbook pretty successfully right now focusing on zone-read and inverted veer plays. I've been sticking with these plays because there is generally a play-action pass off of them in any formation. I'd like to run some of the other option plays such as and
but I can't find many of these types of option plays with a corresponding playaction pass. Can anyone direct me to some of these types of runs that also have a playaction?
I don't have many PAs off of my option plays, but those plays you showed are some of the best options in the game. I've tested them all and wasn't a fan of the cnt read option and found better plays than the trap read options, but there are some amazing ones.

My CPB is full spread option (all SG formations except for my 1 power I which is for goal line). There are 28 SG formtations and nearly max # of plays in my CPB.

I have 84 option plays in my PB, but there are literally (no exaggeration) only 5 "read option" plays in there. The rest are all so much cooler than normal read options. For the straight reads (with no triple option) they all (outside of those 5 read options) have something else going on. They usually have a pulling blocker(s) for either the QB or the HB. I've got all of this (multiple versions of a lot of them) as the options in my CPB:

READ OPTIONS/MIDLINES/INVERTED VEERS:
TE lead read opt
buck read opt
cake read option
dart read option
inverted veer
jet inverted veer
midline read opt
mtn read option
read option
veer option
y lead read opt lt
y lead read opt rt

SPEED/LOAD TYPE OPTIONS
jet option
speed option
load option
mtn wr option

TRIPLE OPTIONS:
dart tr option lt
jet tr option
mtn WR option
mtn tr opt switch lt
mtn tr opt switch rt
mtn triple opt Rt
qb slot option
shovel option
tr opt lead lt
tr opt lead rt
triple option Lt

If you're set on only using those with a PA pass that's fine, but you're missing out on some REALLY good plays if you do that.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 09-09-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
I know that many of the play-action passes are named to make it easy to pair it with the run play. My custom playbook has "Read-option" "PA Read" "Inverted Veer" and "PA Inverted Veer" in pretty much every formation. I'm curious if anyone has found a play-action pass off of one of the non-standard option plays such as the "Buck Read Option" or the "Counter Read Option." I'd like to add some variety to my running game but want to have a play-action pass of every run if possible and can't find any plays that say "PA Buck Read" or "PA Counter Read."
On all but one play art in your 1st post, there's an OL pulling. Correct me if I'm wrong but that would hamper pass protection. Is that something you see in real football? Legit question, I've never noticed it in the games I've seen with R-O teams. I could see some quick hitters out of it but they'd be pretty risky I think.

Either way, since you know the names are paired then you should know that if they ain't there, they ain't there. Except the triple option play, the only one without an OL pulling. I'm almost certain I've seen a PA from a motion read option play with the motioning WR doing a swing route. I know I've seen this play in real games. Good luck finding that.

Be cool.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »