Home

Would you pay for playoff DLC?

This is a discussion on Would you pay for playoff DLC? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you pay for playoff DLC
Yes! That would be awesome. 93 64.58%
Maybe, depends on how much it would cost. 37 25.69%
I'd buy it only if it included gameplay fixes as well. 9 6.25%
No, playoffs suck, bowl system all the way. 5 3.47%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Would you pay for playoff DLC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Profit is profit, no mater how you look at it. We really don't know what they had in the works for next year, and how far along they were with that.

Quite obviously this is a hypothetical poll. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.
Putting in a playoff won't take nearly as long as it does to develop a whole game, especially for a new console
Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

OVR: 3

Given what happened today, I'd absolutely pay for a playoff DLC. If it's just a playoff I'd pay maybe $5-$10 for it. If they want to squeeze other content together with it, and/or make a playoff available outside of dynasty (especially if the exhibition one had more than 4 teams), maybe as much as $20.

And given what I've seen playing around with the Madden/NCAA editors looking at the conf. championships and bowl games, I don't think it'd take a huge investment of manpower from EA to make it happen - add a "National Championship Week" to the end of the schedule, and play the semifinal games in the same "week" as the rest of the bowls. After that, it's just getting the playoff rotation accurate. There's also the fact they've probably already been working on the playoff for NCAA/CF14 and should already have some groundwork laid.

The biggest problem I forsee, and what I expect to happen, is their license w/ the NCAA might not allow them to put the playoff into this year's game. The game has been missing the option for even just an exhibition playoff for what, 15 years now? The NCAA opposed a playoff for years, and I'm sure EA's omission of a playoff anywhere in the game was due to the NCAA.

There's also the issue of getting licensing from the College Football Playoff organization, because like everything else in college football, it's an organization unto itself. I think a lot of people would be OK with not having official licensing for this, but I could also see EA being a little weary of exactly mimicking it without getting an official license.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Now that next year isnt happening. I hope they consider this. Id pay for it.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
Pro

superxero27's Arena

OVR: 2

In the hypothetical world, EA should offer it as a DLC, but instead of incorporating the playoff automatically, it should be an option. Maybe include it during the Custom Conferences stage of the offseason? On the "BCS Tie-Ins" screen have a "Yes ----No" slider, where "No" would auto-trigger a playoff.

My teams:
NFL - Minnesota Vikings, Arizona Cardinals
NCAAF/B - Arizona Wildcats, Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, North Texas Mean Green

I find it amusing that the OS icon for NAU is 20 years (and three rebrands!) out of date.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Are you sure you're not confusing "profit" for "revenue?" If it costs EA a lot more money to implement something like this than they would make from consumers (something on which I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money) then it's not profit. They'd lose money on something like that.
Gee, thanks for the business lesson.

JerseySuave4 pointed out they probably couldn't make much money, and I merely pointed out that if a profit could be had, why not?

True, not much money could be made, but there likely wouldn't be much risk either. It really all depends on where they are in terms of development as well as the licensing, and who knows the whole thing could already be shut down, but again that's not really the point. It's just a simple poll, about a simple scenario.

Last edited by RandyBass; 09-27-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
MVP

Pezell04x's Arena

OVR: 16

The no is misleading because I hate the current bowl system setup, but I would just say no because I wouldn't want to pay for it - not because it sucks.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Hail West Virginia

mtoo22's Arena

OVR: 10

Yes, put it and and deal with it later. They already are handing out a huge unknown sum to these 200,000 plus players

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk 4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

I’d pay for some updates but I don’t see it happening… EA is lazy enough putting things into new games so why would they take the time and effort adding to 14? We might get one more game play patch and continue to get uniform updates until the end of the season..Then it’s a wrap!

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »