Home

EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

This is a discussion on EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #73
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

Slightly off-topic, if it were up to you and you alone (you being the one reading this right now), what would you do if you were in the NCAA's or institution's position?

Being the idealist I am, I would rather scale back collegiate athletics than abandon amateurism. I would of course use the military academies as the epitome of my system. Oh, and I'd require a high school 3.0 GPA to even qualify for a athletic scholarship and a minimum 2.7 GPA to maintain eligibility.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #74

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Slightly off-topic, if it were up to you and you alone (you being the one reading this right now), what would you do if you were in the NCAA's or institution's position?

Being the idealist I am, I would rather scale back collegiate athletics than abandon amateurism. I would of course use the military academies as the epitome of my system. Oh, and I'd require a high school 3.0 GPA to even qualify for a athletic scholarship and a minimum 2.7 GPA to maintain eligibility.
Same boat as you here. I'm not from the South and I don't plan my Saturday's around watching some teens play football.

I'll watch a Wisconsin game if I'm home and it's on - but I would do that even if they scaled everything back and actually treated it as an actual amateur sport.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #75
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

OVR: 6

There is really one winner in this case and that is the lawyers who represented the athletes. The irony here is the players were going after EA and the NCAA for being exploited. However the lawyers ended up exploiting the players and cashed in.

Congrats on taking a stand...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #76
Rookie

Caius101's Arena

OVR: 0
I think the NCAA does push things a bit far in how the constantly berate and punish players over stupid things- also punish the schools over some very stupid things where students 'profiting' goes... however, I will -never- agree that a student athlete should be PAID to play (or compensated with money for their likeness) when they're getting an education that is worth $80,000 - 200,000+ depending upon the college they committed to. That... that is just stupid. Add on the fact this whole lawsuit was started by a group of losers looking to profit for themselves... *shakes head*
Old 09-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #77
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
This kind of statement is ridiculous in my opinion. Exploitation is such a strong word and has no reason to be part of this conversation.

However it's clear you feel it is. I just want to say I 1,000% disagree with you and I was a D-1 college athlete. Life was pretty damn good.
Every year less than 10,000 people generate billions of dollars and all they get in return is a glorified letter of recommendation that is furthered devalued every year.

SA generate actual money for schools and are paid with scholarships that cost the school nothing and other expenses that are pennies on the dollar compared to the revenue they generate. If that isn't being exploited I don't know what is.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #78
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Every year less than 10,000 people generate billions of dollars and all they get in return is a glorified letter of recommendation that is furthered devalued every year.

SA generate actual money for schools and are paid with scholarships that cost the school nothing and other expenses that are pennies on the dollar compared to the revenue they generate. If that isn't being exploited I don't know what is.
You forget, housing, equipment, clothing,food, exposure and a once in a lifetime experience. They exploit each other, that's why this is a controversy and not so cut and dry.

Also, those requests for grants don't write themselves, you have to hire someone to manage that
Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 AM   #79
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarz02
You forget,
housing:
- the cost is the same as if they were a non-athlete, which is taken from the so-called scholarship.
- many also do not get the choice of were they can live, esp with programs trying to control/limit exposure to deemed "distractions".

equipment:
-I worked in the equipment room of a major college, the gear you think they're getting free is so closely maintained, it's crazy.
- it's usually one set for workouts/non-pad practices and that's it.
- administrators and coach's are the "only" ones that have/get new gear as the please, not the athlete.

clothing:
- even having a girlfriend buy you clothes is against the rules because of the perception of it breaking NCAA rules.
- everything you buy and wear is closely eyed needing a who, what, when, where, how answer given.

food:
- try having someone "tell" you what you can/can't eat and you'll see this isn't a positive
- most athletes are forbidden to go out to restaurants to eat because of the perception of possible NCAA violations (this one I really hated)

exposure:
-NFL scouts have no problem with finding the talent the organization is looking for
- TV coverage nor school attended dictates if you get a shot at the NFL, it's 100% who you know if you're not the player they are looking for in the Draft (learned this at my Free Agent Tryout in San Diego)
- the only ones that benefit from exposure is administrators, coach's, NCAA and companies that marketed through the program.

once in a lifetime experience:
- I would say that most who've earned a Bachelor's and Master's, yet finding it difficult to find employment within the field of their degree would argue that the only lifetime experience that they've gained is that a degree doesn't "guarantee" you employment.

They exploit each other:
-when Nike introduced a contract for college to use/market it's footballs, shoes and gloves when represented in the public, I remember not one athlete being in that meeting having a say so (only school/athletic dept administrators and head coach, that's it)

-same for many other areas of the school/program.
I'm just happy that college sports video games will no longer be allowed to belong to one developer just because of the shedding of light this case has caused.

Somebody will develop a football game.
What skins will be used to make up the uniforms, stadiums etc... is another discussion.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
I'm just happy that college sports video games will no longer be allowed to belong to one developer just because of the shedding of light this case has caused.

Somebody will develop a football game.
What skins will be used to make up the uniforms, stadiums etc... is another discussion.
Your kidding about the someone else will make a college sports game right? The largest publisher just got burned for 40 large and the blood suckers behind this are still not done pushing for more cash.

No one will touch this genre of American [enter college sport of your choosing] again in any kind of legitimate way.

Hardy, har on those thinking NCAA college football players will be getting paid any time soon. You're going to see a push for a NFL minor system like all the rest of the organised North American sports sooner rather than later if anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »