Home

EA Sports Comments On The Future Of NCAA

This is a discussion on EA Sports Comments On The Future Of NCAA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #25
Rookie

dso122783's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports Comments On The Future Of NCAA

Well, honestly does anyone care where it says the players are from? I wouldn't care if it says Oregon QB #8 was from Oklahoma. And skin color would be easily fixed. Its funny how in the past years we would call these mistakes (wrong skin color, hometown, jersey numbers) and now we are suggesting this. So sad. Not looking forward to next July.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #26
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dso122783
Well, honestly does anyone care where it says the players are from? I wouldn't care if it says Oregon QB #8 was from Oklahoma. And skin color would be easily fixed. Its funny how in the past years we would call these mistakes (wrong skin color, hometown, jersey numbers) and now we are suggesting this. So sad. Not looking forward to next July.
Location matters when you get into dynasty mode and setting up pipeline states for recruiting. But that just means you need X amount of players from states A, B, and C.

If it were done in the name of randomization and being able to sell the game again, I'm not sure anyone would care where Texas A&M's QB was from, as long as the roster was ~90% from Texas.

But that ship has sailed. Honestly, I think the NCAA is going to get hit hard by the courts, and at the very least have to lift the ban on players making money from their likenesses, meaning something like the NCPA could serve as a licensing body akin to the NFLPA, MLBPA, etc.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
Rookie

dso122783's Arena

My personal opinion is that it will be a vary long time before we see NCAA players getting paid. The only way to do it would be to pay every single student athlete the same amount, such as the average work study job. A lot of players say things like they can't work because of time constraints, so that solves that. Now, we all know Oklahoma's football team brings in more than the rowing team. However, not paying the rowing team but paying the football team, would not be fair. You can't really tell the rowing team that they aren't important enough to pay. Or they don't work as hard as the football team. I mean, you could but too many people would b*tch. THEN, every college out there would have to do the same or you would have the edge on recruiting. And then where does it stop? D1? D1AA? Does it dip down into D2?
The other way is to let players make money on their likeness as long as they would be getting the same pay whether they are at Florida, USC, Michigan, etc. Because again, if not, there will be recruiting advantages and disadvantages. How much do you pay Jamies Winston for being on a billboard promoting the upcoming season, and how much do you pay the female Volleyball player whose picture is on the back of the pocket schedule?
I think this would take years to get squared away and put into effect. Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefrog
I would be okay with continuing a team's past successes, but randomizing how that's accomplished, even in online matches.

Say you play two online games against a friend. In both games, you take Texas A&M, while your buddy picks Michigan State. First off, it'll randomize the physical attributes of each player for every game (skin tone, height, weight, jersey number, uniform options).

Here's where it gets fun. Texas A&M always has an A- Offense, while MSU has an A+ for Defense (using these grades as an example, not true-to-life or true-to-game). My idea is to randomize the players' stats based off the playbook you choose. So if, in the first game, you pick Oregon's playbook, you'll get a quick scat back and scrambling QB. Then, in the second game, you pick Minnesota's playbook, you'll get a team built for power running, with a "balanced" or "pocket passer" QB. Since the offense will be an A-, all the players will better than the same playbook used on a team like North Texas.

On the other side of the ball, your buddy picks the MSU playbook in that first game, and his players are built to run that 7-man front. In the second game, he uses the Boise State defensive playbook, and he'll have better DB's with fewer quality LB's to compliment the 4-2-5 scheme that the Broncos run.

This would entirely eliminate any claim that Johnny Manziel is "the quarterback" for Texas A&M, because the player would be physically randomized, and his abilities would change literally every single game.

It could even be taken a step further; picking Oregon's playbook as Texas A&M means the HB gets a rating from 95-98. In the first game, his speed could be 98, while his acceleration is 93. Then, in the second game, with the same playbook, his speed could drop to 95, while his acceleration jumps to 99.

Someone needs to give me a loan, because now I really, really want to play this theoretical game.
Do a kickstarter....I would put down money for this. Even if you had generic teams.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #29
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dso122783
My personal opinion is that it will be a vary long time before we see NCAA players getting paid. The only way to do it would be to pay every single student athlete the same amount, such as the average work study job. A lot of players say things like they can't work because of time constraints, so that solves that. Now, we all know Oklahoma's football team brings in more than the rowing team. However, not paying the rowing team but paying the football team, would not be fair. You can't really tell the rowing team that they aren't important enough to pay. Or they don't work as hard as the football team. I mean, you could but too many people would b*tch. THEN, every college out there would have to do the same or you would have the edge on recruiting. And then where does it stop? D1? D1AA? Does it dip down into D2?
The other way is to let players make money on their likeness as long as they would be getting the same pay whether they are at Florida, USC, Michigan, etc. Because again, if not, there will be recruiting advantages and disadvantages. How much do you pay Jamies Winston for being on a billboard promoting the upcoming season, and how much do you pay the female Volleyball player whose picture is on the back of the pocket schedule?
I think this would take years to get squared away and put into effect. Thoughts?
All you need to do is remove the restriction on players profiting from their likeness.

There's no reason for the schools to be paying students, there's no reason for the rowing team to get paid by anyone, there's no reason for D2 athletes to be getting paid by anyone. There are no Title IX considerations.

There's no reason to force all players to accept the same pay for their likeness, either. Recruiting advantages and disadvantages already exist. Recruiting already largely comes down to money as it is, whether it's in facilities, or TV exposure, or just the simple ability to recruit in the first place.

The players who would have endorsement value are the same ones already looking at the NFL and NBA, meaning the overwhelming majority of them are going to programs where they can get exposure and playing time. Schools with money have major programs, have exposure, have pipelines to the pros. The decision making process for student athletes with market value changes very little here. So now they've got a deal with Nike and EA, there are still only so many chances at a starting job in a top tier program.

More than likely, you don't pay the female volleyball player on the schedule. More than likely, she'll give consent for that without compensation. If she won't, someone else will.

There are some fine details they'd have to sort out, but pretty much everything you just brought up is stuff that shouldn't matter at all.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #30
Rookie

Forestman's Arena

I imagine EA will jump back in once the dust settles. There is too much money to be made among-st all parties. They'll just amend the rules. You really think college players will get paid? Not gonna happen.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
Pro

barsoffury's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman
I imagine EA will jump back in once the dust settles. There is too much money to be made among-st all parties. They'll just amend the rules. You really think college players will get paid? Not gonna happen.
I also believe the same. If there is money to be made some how some way things will get figured out. Question is when? and honestly I think it will be a long time. Maybe 5+ years. The players and their likenesses getting compensated is one thing but getting all of the conferences and schools on board is another thing. This is not like the NFL where you have the league and the Players Association.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsoffury
I also believe the same. If there is money to be made some how some way things will get figured out. Question is when? and honestly I think it will be a long time. Maybe 5+ years. The players and their likenesses getting compensated is one thing but getting all of the conferences and schools on board is another thing. This is not like the NFL where you have the league and the Players Association.
The only reason the schools and conferences bailed was because of their potential liability in robbing the players of their right to publicity.

Once the NCAA case is settled, there isn't much standing in the way of getting the schools & conferences back on board.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »