Home

Does Redshirting players hurt their progress in the long run?

This is a discussion on Does Redshirting players hurt their progress in the long run? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Does Redshirting players hurt their progress in the long run?

For training results purposes throughout players careers, is it better to redshirt them their freshman year or to just let them play it out by not redshirting them even though they won't see the field their first year maybe even their second.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Rookie

Jeremy.Horne.SC's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Does Redshirting players hurt their progress in the long run?

If they're not going to play, redshirt them. In-season progression is minimal compared to training results and the extra off-season really makes a difference by the time player-x is a RsJr/RsSr.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

agreed, redshirting definitely helps. I try to redshirt as many people as possible so I know they can be better contributors down the line. Even if I have a WR that can play the slot as a freshman I still try to redshirt him so he can be an absolute stud by his senior year
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Pro

doyce7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrowalaska420
For training results purposes throughout players careers, is it better to redshirt them their freshman year or to just let them play it out by not redshirting them even though they won't see the field their first year maybe even their second.
Early on in my career(I always start as a bad team) if the freshman is the best player he plays if he's not he's redshirted. a few years in I pretty much redshirt all of them unless the freshman is 2 or 3 points above the guy below him
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyce7
Early on in my career(I always start as a bad team) if the freshman is the best player he plays if he's not he's redshirted. a few years in I pretty much redshirt all of them unless the freshman is 2 or 3 points above the guy below him
yep, I do the same. In years past I would redshirt basically every player, but in this years I have noticed players are more likely to leave if you redshirt them when they could have had some playing time. Sometimes when I have two guys close in overalls I end up waiting till their junior year to redshirt. I have yet to see a junior try to transfer from a school, so at that point it is a safe bet they won't leave your team
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Banned

redshirting definitely helps
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I agree that it can help a lower rated player to become a future star. I have 2 examples...

Player 1 was a HB on the original roster file I'm using. He was a 68ovr as a freshman and behind 3 other players on the depth chart. I red shirted him in hopes he would be my starter by year 3. After the red shirt year he improved to a 74ovr and went up 2 points in the speed ratings. He got some major playing time as a RsFreshman after my senior went down. I left the team after that season but he went on to become a star and ended up as a 93ovr RsSenior and a 4th round pick.

Player 2 is the star of my current team. He was signed in my first class by the previous coaching staff. He was rated as the #7 HB in his class but only a 69ovr. I had a 93ovr senior and a 80ovr junior ahead of him so I red shirted him planning on starting him the following season. He improved 7 points during the red shirt year and by the end of his RsFreshman season he was a 78ovr. Now as a RsSophomore he is an 84ovr and his speed ratings have improved from an 88spd to a 91spd, and a 88acc to a 94acc. I hope he stays another year or so where he is a lock for a 1-3 round pick.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Rookie

I'm a big redshirt coach, and probably apply similar methods as described above. I like the idea that, provided the player stays, he is going to get 20 pts better or more.

My biggest issue is the 70 player limit. I'm not sure why they couldn't add a few more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »