Home

michigan state defense

This is a discussion on michigan state defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #9
MVP

SpartyParty11's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: michigan state defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
i leave my corners one on one all the time. Idk if many people know this but if you hold LT and press up on the RS before the ball is snapped, your defense plays the pass 100%. I've learned if I "tell" my defense to play pass, most of the time they cover pretty well especially the higher rated corners. Also backing off or press coverage also affects your chances of getting burned.
I use that all the time, doesn't work as effectively as you are saying. I'm always pressing cause if I make my corners back off, they leave the short stuff wide open. And then when I press, my corners still get beat and leave anything open. I also noticed linebackers don't cover tight ends very well. But then again, it could be because I'm doing an offline dynasty with San Jose State and their athletes can't even compare with MSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor1234
what plays do you call? im trying to build my defense like theres. right now i have a couple decent corners so im slowly implemnting that style. when you recruit how important do you consider the press rating to be?
I tend to run a lot of man. Sometimes Cover 2 if they like to run outside or throw short plays. If they have a mobile QB, I'll make sure to at least have a linebacker spy. What MSU really does is mainly leave the sidelines open because it's a far throw for a QB and since MSU's corners are quick, they can get to the ball for a int/swat or get to the receiver for a loss/short gain.

Michigan State Spartans
Oregon Ducks
Miami Hurricanes
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Central Michigan Chippewas (College I'm Attending)
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #10
Pro

RonMexico1992's Arena

OVR: 0

you have to switch it up, thats key... you cant just come out running same man to man blitz scheme ever play... You need good CB m2m cov and great press corners.... Get to QB fast..

And calling that the Michigan State way is not right lol, I think that is the most complete Big 10 team since 2002 buckeyes, because they broke the mold of zone defense n Big 10 and played an SEC style physical, fast, hard hitting man 2 man D. Alabama does it the best, FSU right behind them.... Its all about having playmakers on defense.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Pro

silver281gt's Arena

OVR: 3

Yea MSU is one of the Best Def in my Opinion and thats coming from a Die hard Husker fan here.

I am in year 2 of my Tar-heels dynasty and I am trying to get a MSU style defense. Well its hard for me right now cause I cant get good or high rated man corners.

Also you guys that want to run a MSU defense what are you using as your base playbook?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Rookie

falcor1234's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyParty11
I use that all the time, doesn't work as effectively as you are saying. I'm always pressing cause if I make my corners back off, they leave the short stuff wide open. And then when I press, my corners still get beat and leave anything open. I also noticed linebackers don't cover tight ends very well. But then again, it could be because I'm doing an offline dynasty with San Jose State and their athletes can't even compare with MSU's.

I tend to run a lot of man. Sometimes Cover 2 if they like to run outside or throw short plays. If they have a mobile QB, I'll make sure to at least have a linebacker spy. What MSU really does is mainly leave the sidelines open because it's a far throw for a QB and since MSU's corners are quick, they can get to the ball for a int/swat or get to the receiver for a loss/short gain.
im with you talent wise. im in the mac and dont have the athletes to pull it off. but i do have a couple corners that are redshirt freshmen that are low 80s in coverage. so im hoping to have them be in the 90s when they are juniors and seniors. that will probly make a huge difference on how often i can go man to man and press. right now i can only do it on low level mac schools like umass.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Even though for some reason people have a hard time admitting it, ratings do matter. If your best cb is a 80 don't expect him to be shutdown. In my Boise dynasty where my defense is rated 76 teams are running up and down but that's expected. In my other dynasty where my defense is 99, I have a shutdown D both in the passing and running game. Look at your player ratings and learn their strengths and weakness, then adjust to them.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
Pro

silver281gt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfins
Even though for some reason people have a hard time admitting it, ratings do matter. If your best cb is a 80 don't expect him to be shutdown. In my Boise dynasty where my defense is rated 76 teams are running up and down but that's expected. In my other dynasty where my defense is 99, I have a shutdown D both in the passing and running game. Look at your player ratings and learn their strengths and weakness, then adjust to them.

I agree with you 100% here.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Pro

silver281gt's Arena

[quote=SpartyParty11;2045819863]I use that all the time, doesn't work as effectively as you are saying. I'm always pressing cause if I make my corners back off, they leave the short stuff wide open. And then when I press, my corners still get beat and leave anything open. I also noticed linebackers don't cover tight ends very well. But then again, it could be because I'm doing an offline dynasty with San Jose State and their athletes can't even compare with MSU's.

How are the SJS Spartans unis. I think I am about to start up a Dynasty with them. Do they start out as a 1* program? How is their team and I know I will struggle alot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #16
Rookie

aerovt's Arena

None of the base playbooks move the SS in the box enough to mimic what MSU runs. VT runs a very similar defense (they were pretty good until injuries to their top 2 CBs, a starting LB and general offensive woes wore them down this year).

Basically to run the defense right, you need to run a 4-3 and manually control & hot route the safeties on pretty much every play. Be careful with any of this unless you have a defense rated 90+ with good players in the secondary

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »