Home

Question -- Running the Load Option

This is a discussion on Question -- Running the Load Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Question -- Running the Load Option

I am having a little trouble running the Load Option (Power option)...any two-option (QB keep or pitch) situation with a lead blocker against 4 down lineman where the DE is the option player.

The nice thing about the Load Option is you get that extra blocker out there, especially (potentially) for your pitch man. Unfortunately, I'm finding that I struggle reading the DE if he is the pitch man.

I tend to find the triple option easier to read, despite having two reads as opposed to the one, and I think it's because the DE doesn't present me with a great read on the Load option.

Any suggestions? I wonder if I don't wait to long to see what he does instead of attacking with my QB as if that is the only run I'm doing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

Re: Question -- Running the Load Option

I have found success with just forgetting about the pitch read guy, and just running the play like its any other play. Usually the D will choose one guy or another to key on and they will fly after him with reckless abandon. Sometimes they will cover both guys and it just wasnt meant to be. Its just one of those things that you need to practice over and over and over.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I switched (1.5 seasons ago in my offline dynasty) my Auburn offense to the "Option Run" custom playbook which I pulled from SimSports. Thought I had the perfect QB to run it (speedy ATH recruit w/ 83+ for pass acc. and pwr) and was so right. He and my HB both topped 1,000yds on the ground in that 1st season.
For some reason having a terrible go of it this 2nd season. I'm not having trouble with the reads of the Read or Triple options (although at least 1 in 5 read option plays I seem to miss the hand off -- not holding the button long enough? -- getting the QB creamed), what seems to be killing me is not understanding when the play simply isn't going to work and then using audibles.
Any hints, tips, lessons that can be learned -- based off what you see in the defensive alignment -- on when not to run the read/triple/load options?

I'm a YouTube fanatic for tips/tricks but everything is "how to run..." or "how to stop the spread (etc.)". Wish there were a few "if (this), then NOT (that)" videos for the offensive side of the ball.

I'm thinking this would help the OP with his load option question (absolutely don't want to jack his thread).
Old 01-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

What formation are you trying to run the load option out of? In the flexbone you should treat it as a QB run play as the dive blocking for the QB is better than the pitch man's blocking. Out if shotgun with split backs I treat it like a speed option where I try to run the QB just outside of the tackle and force the pitch read to really make a choice as to who he is going to cover.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
What formation are you trying to run the load option out of? In the flexbone you should treat it as a QB run play as the dive blocking for the QB is better than the pitch man's blocking. Out if shotgun with split backs I treat it like a speed option where I try to run the QB just outside of the tackle and force the pitch read to really make a choice as to who he is going to cover.
Typically in the I formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »