Home

NCAA Gearing up For A Power Shift in Division I

This is a discussion on NCAA Gearing up For A Power Shift in Division I within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2014, 03:40 AM   #9
Rookie

SpeedyMikeWallace's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NCAA Gearing up For A Power Shift in Division I

Since paying them would by all means make these players professionals, title IX would not even matter.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA Gearing up For A Power Shift in Division I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgoDuane
One issue that people are not discussing in any articles I have read regarding this issue is the law, Title IX. The Big 5 conferences want all these perks and what not and people seem to think that a "pay-for-play" is inevitable, but it's not. Title IX says that women must be treated equally to men, especially when it comes to athletics. So, if you are going to pay a football player a stipend, you must pay the same stipend to a female gymnast. Not only that, but that's why there are usually more women's sports than men's at most schools. Football uses 85 scholarships at the FBS level. Therefore, you must have women's sports who equal the same amount of scholarships, etc.

So, let's not try and proclaim that pay for play is close. It's not, by law.

Major universities would probably be able to accommodate non-football athletes too with minimal budget concerns. My main question is how this would give these Power Five schools a competitive advantage over schools that are not as wealthy and thus, may not be able to accommodate all of its athletes in such a way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »