Home

Am I The Only One That Does This In The Coaching Carousel?

This is a discussion on Am I The Only One That Does This In The Coaching Carousel? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #17
MVP

SpartyParty11's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Am I The Only One That Does This In The Coaching Carousel?

It's much harder to bring up an awful SEC team than it was to bring up an awful (1 star) Mountain West team. I'm now 2-5 in my first year as Arkansas head coach. My first win was against an FCS team. I've had a tough schedule, if I can remember, all of the games I have played except one were against ranked opponents. I almost got my first SEC win against South Carolina. Up 28-20 with 2 minutes left, they scored, didn't get the 2 point. They got me to punt with 42 seconds left. They drove down the field and kicked a field goal with 16 seconds left. I throw a deep pass and I was running for a TD but saw I was at their 34 yard line and had to USC players coming at me and only 1 second left so I ran out of bounds. Kicker kicked it short. Lost the game by 1.

Finally I did get my first win against #20 Bama 17-11. I was up 14-3 late in the game and they almost came back.

I looked to see how my former team is doing and they're 7-0 and pretty highly ranked. I'm just glad I left them with some good players, unlike Bret Bielema.

Michigan State Spartans
Oregon Ducks
Miami Hurricanes
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Central Michigan Chippewas (College I'm Attending)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #18
Pro

Wahooworld15's Arena

OVR: 11

Usually I have this problem but this year I started out at Florida State and for some reason I haven't left yet (I'm in season 7 or 8, I can't remember). I realized the longer I stayed there, the easier it is to stay there but seeing this thread is making me consider...

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2049811572
Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

I did the same thing with UMass. I started out as OC for Ark St. Left after one year because I wanted to be the head man. As an OC, I make it a point to not recruit manually. I know it's weird, but I take a "staff" approach to recruiting and have all of the recruiting assistances on. Anyway, I got an offer from a horrible UMass team. I can't pass up on a chance to rebuild a team from scratch. Challenge accepted

Spent 6 years as HC at UMass. I would save it separately after every bowl to see what my offers were (Coaching Carousel is the new "crack"). I accepted 3 offers, but after one season with them (Mizzou, Purdue, Clemson) I'd regret my decision and go back to UMass. The feeling of building something up from the bottom was just too much to pass up on.

First season with UMass was a pretty good 9-4 campaign. MAC champions. 9-3 reg season and a loss in the bowl game. 2nd season it really took off. I'm the type that loves mobile QBs, and every year when I buy the game I develop a new playbook. This year, I went with a pistol formation.

During the off-season I recruited an ATH who could also play QB. Was going to RS him, but played Notre Dame in my 2nd game. My pocket QB (hey, I go with what I have) was getting pressured in the pocket. Sack after sack after sack. Went with the scrambler, and he was amazing. Led us to an upset of ND. From there, he went on to win the Heisman in his Jr year. Great Sr year too. Lee White...the MAN at UMass.

6th year, Lee leaves. But his sidekick in the backfield--a reggie bush-type RB that killed in open space and catches on screens and wheel routes--teamed up with Jared Gonzalez, Lee's longtime backup, to give UMass it's first National Championship. Jared wins the Heisman. Not as dynamic as Lee on the ground, but not as many ints either (Lee averaged 13 a year. Jared had only 7...7!) Lee was a 1000 yard rusher all 4 years, but Jared's 700 felt like it was just as much. 6 years, 6 MAC titles (should've just called it the Minutemen Invitational) and FINALLY a NC. 4-2 in bowl games. I reluctantly left to try a big school in a tough conference...

Took the Kentucky job. Great year my first year. They had a scrambling QB that I was able to use like Lee (Jr. Don Brown). We snuck into the SEC title game, won, and...lost to MY old team, UMass in the NC game. Jared..MY QB...killed us. Don Brown decided to leave early. I tried another ATH at QB but faired poorly. Finished the season 9-4...a VERY tough 9-4. Barely won the bowl game.

Switched the QB to WR, got another guy in there, and won the NC in my 4th year at Kentucky. 4 years at KY, 2 SEC titles and 1 NC...SO many close games. Also, a new hatred of Georgia (2-2 against those bastards. And the last win I got, I get stomped the next week at home vs. Florida. Title hopes dashed that 3rd year). Loving the feel of this team. I think I'll stay here. Apologies for the wall of text.

Last edited by Phrozen30; 02-26-2014 at 05:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »