Home

UNION

This is a discussion on UNION within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: UNION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatiger13
This union would only cover the private universities. I think 17 or so in total. The state universities would not be affected by this. That means that the vast majority of schools would not be affected by this at all. So another college football game is not any closer. Unless you only want to play with Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, Notre Dame, Boston College, Baylor, BYU, USC, TCU and a few other schools.
The NLRB ruling only affects private schools, but student athletes at public universities are still free to try and unionize according to the rules and laws of their respective states. There are lots of graduate student unions, for example, at public universities, even in labor hostile states like Texas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #26
Rookie

ThunderingHerd06's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickkill77
I don't think it goes anywhere. There was a story on ESPN that even if they are able to pull this off the players would have to start paying taxes on their scholarships (looking at almost 15k) and the colleges would probably start charging them for things. I'm sorry, but these guys get a free education, room/board, free meals, spending money, and they get a chance to show off their skills on a national level. They don't need anymore compensation than that. Any other benefits they try to go after are going to end up blowing up in their faces

As a former student athlete in division I football I will say that yes get free education, room/board and some other benefits. Those are all important but the issue is the money made purely off the athletes far out does the amount that the education and other things cost that are given. Then worse is the universities don't even put all those dollars back into the school they partially go to line the pockets of the boards and NCAA. I'd have less problem if the money all went back in to the school's education and/or athletic programs however it isn't sadly.

Also like it or not the student athlete has more to deal with then the average student as far as what goes on in a day to day life as far as their education goes. Yes they choose to do it and go through the practices but just as simple as an RA gets paid benefits or other students can get paying jobs to help them out the student athletes cannot do this because of the practice, workouts, games along with class schedule does not allow for it, as well as even if there were time most schools won't allow the scholarship athletes to work outside jobs.

Then the insurance factor... most kids do not have the money financially to insure themselves either life insurance or health insurance the risks on body and medical costs in cases which there are some that schools do not cover despite making billions off of the athletes is an added cost that other students do not have or if they do have they don't go out every week putting themselves at risk for the school.

Lastly on the support for them being paid, is simple.. especially with football you cannot be a professional at the top level until you are 3 years at least removed from high school. This is not something that any other profession prevents, so simply not having that option makes it unfair to football players not to be able to receive any payment at all, where as if you want you at least have the choice in any other profession to skip or leave school early and still get paid.

Now having said that I still don't necessarily support college athletes being paid, I just feel the system needs to be changed so that the money that is being made from college athletics is distributed differently in the very least that it's not all about profit for school officials. Money should be put back in to the athletic programs and education, not as a cash cow for school officials and the NCAA. Also any jersey sales or things that directly are money made off the player a percentage of that however small should go to the player in an escrow account or something where the player receives it but only after schooling is finished. That way the player isn't getting screwed completely either. It's a very simple change to be made...

I just think it can be looked at in all different ways and because of being a student athlete and also being directly involved with my wife's career in the college academics side of this I get to see both sides directly and can really share a unique point of view for people to look at things. Again the issue isn't simply should they get paid or should they not... there is a lot of other little things that factor into the argument that aren't talked about as much by the media and gives the student athletes an unfair criticism because all people hear is about how these athletes want money in their pocket, but it's far more then just that.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #27
Rookie

probably helps the chances of getting a new game.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #28
Rookie

probably helps the chances of getting a new game.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoy1
Does the Northwestern school joins Union- help or hurt chances of another college football video game?
Maybe...but very unlikely
Old 03-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #30
Rookie

oathofsilence's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_mike
It's not a bluff. If some court orders players to be actually paid, the NCAA will simply end college athletics as we know it (TV, big stadium deals, etc.). The NCAA are already uncomfortable at how big college sports has become and have tried to stop it's growth but were stopped by the courts. Paying players is a red line that the NCAA will absolutely go nuclear on. They will not negotiate that point. They are dead serious about it. They will be sad about losing the TV money and all, but big time athletics cost a lot of money, too, so it would be a wash.

Now as to Northwestern's threats, I believe them, too, but that's just old fashioned union busting. Northwestern football is a "mid major" program--generally awful, but sometimes decent. They don't lose much. Most of their players are actual students first. I think that busting the union for the sole purpose of busting the union would be really wrong, since the players do deserve a bigger voice and protections. As long as they aren't asking for a big payday, such as help with medical expenses, I don't see how they are in the wrong. If they do start asking for big money, then the college really would have no choice but to cancel football. Colleges cannot start paying athletes--it's a line that they cannot and will not cross. They aren't going to budge about that.
Absolutely ludicrous if you think an institution would not enjoy getting paid more and more each year. I think they're fearful of a full on investigation into the actual amounts these universities are accumulating aside from ticket sales, merchandising, and standard university licensing deals.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #31
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoco11
Public universities have their operating costs funded 100% by their state... that's anything related to the school staying open such as salaries, building maintenance, utilities etc. Donations schools receive are in addition to the 100% funding. So T. Boone Pickens giving $10 million to Oklahoma State, doesn't mean Oklahoma can give OK state 10 million less in funding. They get 100% funding PLUS keep all donations.
This is flat out false. Most "public" university systems are only partially being supported by state funds, with the remainder coming from the students and other revenue sources:

http://www.acenet.edu/the-presidency...he-bottom.aspx
Quote:
State appropriations for public higher education have just faced another tough year. And yet, public institutions have faced many such years over the past three decades. Despite steadily growing student demand for higher education since the mid-1970s, state fiscal investment in higher education has been in retreat in the states since about 1980.
University of California system:
http://budget.universityofcalifornia.edu/?page_id=5
Quote:
But only a portion of that total is tied to the university’s basic instructional program and the activities that support it. That “core funds” budget, which is currently about 26 percent of the university’s total budget, comes from three sources: state funds (50 percent), student fees (38 percent), and UC general funds (12 percent).
University of Virginia
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...9d0_story.html
Quote:
For all university divisions, state appropriations accounted for $154.4 million of a $2.6 billion budget, or 5.8 percent. For the academic division, state appropriations were $139.5 million of a $1.36 billion budget, or 10.2 percent.
University of Texas
http://giving.utexas.edu/why-give/wh...-your-support/
Quote:
For example, in 1984-85 the state of Texas contributed 47 percent of the university’s budget. Today that share is only 13 percent.
Now, the UT example is a little misleading, because the States share of the budget shrank, but the schools budget exploded in those 30 years. Not to belabor the point any further, but the idea that state schools are 100% state funded is just wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #32
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

It might, but the whole union thing will never happen.

The court ruled that scholarships make athletes paid employees of the college and therefore they could unionize.......taken to its logical conclusion this would change college athletics for the worse. The NCAA needs to change some of its rules and I think schools should cover rehab and so forth for career-ending injuries.

In the end all the schools would have to do is stop offering scholarships - no "pay," no unions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »