Home

Online Play for PS2 - Rumblings and Grumblings

This is a discussion on Online Play for PS2 - Rumblings and Grumblings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Online Play for PS2 - Rumblings and Grumblings

Is it just me or are there a lot of glitchers out there. Currently, my record on NCAA is 8-6. It should be, however, 12-2 because of glitchers or cheap *** players.

Have you ever been up like five touchdowns? I was winning over LEON POWE44 59-8 in the fourth quarter when it glitches on me and I get the friggin' loss.

Cheap players are guys who do not play realistically and just run Options ALL THE TIME. I understand its a good play to run ON OCCASSION. RunAway04 and PumpedUp are both frequent option'ers. Thats all they did. Like 95% of their TOTAL plays were options. No matter what defense I did, they would get 8-12 yards per play.

I get so pissed playing this game online. When it's a good game and the other guy isn't being cheap, it is very fun. I am constantly kicking my desk because usually my guys drop WIDE OPEN passes on third down. Constantly, I'll find myself 5 for 22 in passing because my guys can't catch. They could be wide open and everything yet they still drop the ball. It is even more frustrating when they are like 10 of 12 and catch in the most insane situations. Another thing that annoys me is when the other guy drains the clock in the first half! Every play, this one guy would drain the clock to :01 before snapping the ball. STOP DOING THAT! Or how about always going for it on 4th down? I can't stand playing people who don't play realistically.

I am a perfectionist and when I get screwed out of wins, I get pissed. It is very frustrating when I am 8-6 when I should be 12-2 because some jackoff is essentially a cheater.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Online Play for PS2 - Rumblings and Grumblings

Well, the option may be a little bit cheap in this video game, but there are real option heavy teams out there in real life. Air Force, Rice, Navy... Hawaii used to be one of them, and it did seem like they were optioning out 90% of the time.

And I think if someone wants to run down their playclock on offense... it may be annoying, but totally legal (ie, not cheap). If coaches in real life got irrate at opposing coaches who run down the clock all the time, more coaches would probably use the strategy to control the clock and get in the opposing team's head.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:31 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

rns said:
Well, the option may be a little bit cheap in this video game, but there are real option heavy teams out there in real life. Air Force, Rice, Navy... Hawaii used to be one of them, and it did seem like they were optioning out 90% of the time.

And I think if someone wants to run down their playclock on offense... it may be annoying, but totally legal (ie, not cheap). If coaches in real life got irrate at opposing coaches who run down the clock all the time, more coaches would probably use the strategy to control the clock and get in the opposing team's head.

I understand what you're saying but the problem with the option in the game is that it is flawless. Never a missed lateral. While it is legal to run the clock as early as the first quarter, that does not make it exempt from being cheap if you run it in 5 minute quarters. If we were playing a full quarter like in real life, then I wouldn't care as much. But since its only 5 minutes, its cheap and a weak way to win.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

If you're looking for str8 play don't bother playing random people. Join a league. And speaking of which I currently have 3 teams available in my own ps2 online league: Boise State, Bowling Green and Army. If you're a str8 player and can commmit to playing your game weekly then message me: [email protected] for more details.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

"Cheap players are guys who do not play realistically and just run Options ALL THE TIME."

The option can be stopped and running it everytime or 85+% of the time is NOT cheese.

I stop the option all the time and force the other team into doing what I want them to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

The option is part of football, if you get good at catching the option pitch on defense they will stop running it, NOW CHEAP IS HB DRAW AND HB DIRECT SNAP, add in the super blitz with pope as FSU.

Now thats real cheese.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:03 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

you are right that the option is not cheap. However, the draw and direct snap are not cheap either. The direct snap is probably more effective than it should be but I never have problems stopping it. Also, there are no cheap blitzes. After playing tons of online games, I have never seen an unstoppable play. My current record is 50-1 and I haven't glitched anybody. I just hope next year there aren't any glitches or cheap ways to disconnect so that the online rankings actually mean something. Also, I hope that they allow 2 on 2 games (or even 4 on 4). As for running the clock, it isn't really cheap because even if you don't touch the ball for a half, you still receive in the other half. However, I don't think any self-respecting player should/would ever do that since the five minute quarters exaggerate its effect. I have no problem with somebody running the same play every time because it is up to the defense to stop it. If a real-life coach could call one unstoppable play every time, I guarantee he would. The only reason they don't is because the competition is usually somewhat comparable and competent and won't allow that to happen. In online play you can sometimes have an expert (like me) playing against a novice and I can run one play every time and never be stopped. Take it from me, if you can't stop a play, it is your fault and you need to get better if you don't want to see it called every time.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:

BigSmoove said:
you are right that the option is not cheap. However, the draw and direct snap are not cheap either. The direct snap is probably more effective than it should be but I never have problems stopping it. Also, there are no cheap blitzes. After playing tons of online games, I have never seen an unstoppable play. My current record is 50-1 and I haven't glitched anybody. I just hope next year there aren't any glitches or cheap ways to disconnect so that the online rankings actually mean something. Also, I hope that they allow 2 on 2 games (or even 4 on 4). As for running the clock, it isn't really cheap because even if you don't touch the ball for a half, you still receive in the other half. However, I don't think any self-respecting player should/would ever do that since the five minute quarters exaggerate its effect. I have no problem with somebody running the same play every time because it is up to the defense to stop it. If a real-life coach could call one unstoppable play every time, I guarantee he would. The only reason they don't is because the competition is usually somewhat comparable and competent and won't allow that to happen. In online play you can sometimes have an expert (like me) playing against a novice and I can run one play every time and never be stopped. Take it from me, if you can't stop a play, it is your fault and you need to get better if you don't want to see it called every time.

Calling the same play over and over is just flat out boring. I've found too many kids on there that don't know a damn thing about football and is all they do is try to pull AI tricking plays. Hmm, let's snap the ball when my WR is behind the O-line, let's call dime/press all game long, lets drop back 15 yards ans wait for my WR to get 30 yards down field, break contain and run the ball with my QB. You want to talk real life, let's talk real life. This crap doesn't and won't ever happen in real life, because in real life it can be stopped. Trust me, I can out think 99% of the guys on there when it comes to football, but most of them have found ways to beat the game, no matter what I do. So it's good to here that you're an expert, I praise you. I'm also willing to bet you do cheese, but you just don't know it, because that's the way you've always played.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »