Home

I saw this post over on EA's NCAA Forum...

This is a discussion on I saw this post over on EA's NCAA Forum... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: I saw this post over on EA's NCAA Forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoco11
College is also a different animal than Pro sports. Although Seinfeld said it best, in that all we do is cheer for a uniform, that's completely true for college sports.

Think about this way... if you play 5 seasons of NCAA and 5 seasons of Madden, what happens to the rosters? What happens to your favorite players in both games?

In College, all the "real" players based of actual people on the team, will have graduated from your school and be removed from the game. The Johnny Manziel's (QB#2), Sammy Watkins (WR#5) and Joe Schmo Punter (P#47) are removed from your dynasty.

In Madden, Adrian Peterson is still around. RGIII is still around. Calvin Johnson is still there... and of course, some retirements mean that eventually Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne & Tony Gonzalez players will be removed, but professional sport video games, focus on the names of the players.

College focuses on the teams, atmospheres, traditions, recruiting etc. We don't have names of players in NCAA, but the game survived for years. Take away the NFLPA and the LeSean McCoy's, Tom Brady's, Richard Sherman's and Patrick Willis' go away. Do you think people are more likely to play a game with NY Giants QB#10 or Eli Manning?

When you take away the college name of a school, it's like taking away LeBron James or Sidney Crosby from the game. Sure you could put their name on the jersey, but the look of the player is gone. The real time face in the game is gone. And while roster makers would be kept busy, the authenticity would be a key part of what people want.

That's what happens to NCAA when the schools don't participate. It's not so much the OCD fans that need underwear color correct and hand towels for kickers... it's the biggest personal relationship you have to a game that's missing. That's the piece that will be missing with a generic college game.
Generic game has no chance to make a dime. NCAA Football allows us Syracuse fans to pull recruits from Florida, allows Washington State to go to Autzen and drop 70, and finally lets Boise State into the national title game. If we didn't get that authentic looking Carrier Dome or the image of Bevo in the pre game show, we wouldn't buy it.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
Rookie

dso122783's Arena

OVR: 0

I am an OCD gamer and I'm pretty sure others like me didn't ruin the game. We buy the game every year for the updated roster. We buy every single Uniform Pack. I am detailed about playing NCAA. For example, I hate that hand warmers can only be worn on the front. And if I'm in week one of a dynasty and I see a Punter wearing a hand warmer in August I'm restarting the game and fixing it. We are the best customers EA has. We would pay for a sock update.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

It bothers me that everyone in this thread is making blanket statements about why the game is dead. It's no-ones fault, so stop acting like the equipment guys are at fault here. It was bound to happen eventually. I mean they could have shipped the game with nothing but accurate shin tones and uniform numbers for the teams, and that would be enough for a lawsuit. That alone would be too many similarities to pass off as a coincidence.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

People still would have bought the game if it had generic names. Here at OS, you have some of the pickiest people ever whenever it came to that game and they said "Well, if they can't use real teams, just gives us generics with good editing options".

So no, that's not the true reason why NCAA Football is dead.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 05-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #13
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11

Then why is it dead? I mean we have the best roster makers around OS so all they would have to do is fix add to the game without worrying bout rosters. So try to get a deal done EA U have fans everywhere.

Sent from my HTC One SV BLK using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 1

The issue for me isn't to find fault with the OCD equipment guy as the reason for the NCAA series demise. However, it could be argued, that the OCD equipment and real roster/team guy is contributing to the lack of an alternative.

APF2K8 didn't sell well. That is correct. It didn't sell well for a variety of reasons which are most notably 1) lack of direction 2) marketing and 3) single season mode. They were so close. Unfortunately they never took that next step with the story line, generic players as real characters with their own abilities, and franchise mode. That said, whenever I create a team and play the Minnesota Werewolves I know my o-line is going to be in for a battle and that I'll need to spy Roger Staubach. Minn. is a very physical team and my games with them are always close. Go to youtube and take a look at the throngs of videos of people playing this game. Fans of the game continue (7 years later) creating their own unique teams, some with NFL players others with made up characters, and there's not a market for an unlicensed game?

I was highly interested in Backbreaker but decided not to purchase because of the strange player models, camera angles, and playbooks. My decision had nothing to do with it being real teams or real players.

If the back-story is there, an in-depth franchise mode, good player models and art, and player/coach characters...I'd buy a generic game in a minute.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dso122783
I am an OCD gamer and I'm pretty sure others like me didn't ruin the game. We buy the game every year for the updated roster. We buy every single Uniform Pack. I am detailed about playing NCAA. For example, I hate that hand warmers can only be worn on the front. And if I'm in week one of a dynasty and I see a Punter wearing a hand warmer in August I'm restarting the game and fixing it. We are the best customers EA has. We would pay for a sock update.

And it's things like that, that hurts everyone, because you are willing to buy it for a roster update and a uniform update. Were I think the gameplay is more important then roster updates and uniforms.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
Rookie

dso122783's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
And it's things like that, that hurts everyone, because you are willing to buy it for a roster update and a uniform update. Were I think the gameplay is more important then roster updates and uniforms.
I think this is the first time customers who buy everything a company has to offer are responsible for the demise of a product line. I'm sorry I took NCAA football away from you guys.
But to be honest, I would buy a generic "South Bend College" football game as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »