Home

Playbook Talk

This is a discussion on Playbook Talk within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Playbook Talk

I second the hb angle pass, goes to the hb majority of the time

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #58
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
anyone have any suggestions/playbooks/plays on getting your HB more involved in the passing game outside of just screen passes? I can never seem to get much production from my HB in that regard. Typically the routes they run out of the backfield are gobbled up by either a safety coming in on man coverage or a CB in the flats who just tackles him for a loss/no gain. I guess my only solution right now is to actually motion him out of the backfield

I took over Idaho and I have a young RB with some great catching ability so I would actually like to use it rather than seeing it go to waste
There are quite a few shotgun formations that use a HB as one of the slot receivers. Also, in the flexbone formations, the HB is actually one of the primary receivers, and has a good combination of streak routes and out routes, with some featuring interesting pre-snap motion too. I've used a teambuilder team for a season with a good receiving, speedy HB, and had them lead the team in receiving yardage (maybe even the league). I haven't had a great amount of success getting the ball to the HB out of the backfield though.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 4

Defensively, I am an odd front guy. My base is the 3-3-5 Okie .It’s basically a 3-4 with the a SS playing the Jack. I can formation sub to swap a SS for a LB if I need more beef. It’s a tough defense to play because you have to recognize formations quickly and adjust accordingly. If you set the force player on the wrong side, you will easily get out leveraged.

I like to user the ILB. As with any defense, knowing your keys and understanding the run fits are extremely important in you decided to user the a LB. Classic EA, the fits are not consistent with real line football and the 2-gap defender logic is non-existent, but once you master them the defense in very solid vs the run and fun the play.

Does anyone else play and odd front and user the ILB? What you’re your run fits?

Last edited by Starter; 06-04-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #60
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter
Defensively, I am an odd front guy. My base is the 3-3-5 Okie .It’s basically a 3-4 with the a SS playing the Jack. I can formation sub to swap a SS for a LB if I need more beef. It’s a tough defense to play because you have to recognize formations quickly and adjust accordingly. If you set the force player on the wrong side, you will easily get out leveraged.
I run a ton of 3-3-5 but do so in the split formation, which leaves the safeties on either side of the formation close to the line. I love having the safeties in run support, and CB is the defensive position I focus on most, so I can often find some stronger guys to convert to safety who are capable of providing run support but can also line up man to man against any receiver. The lateral run game is absolutely shut down, and while a north south run game can have some success, tackles for loss come often enough in this defense to stall out drives. It can be a little spotty against crossing and quick cutting routes in the passing game, but unless it is third a long, when having two deep safeties help out a lot, it's effective enough as anything else against most passes.

A lot of guys here run a finesse running game. I look for pocket passers, so my QB's don't run, and I tend to keep things simple by letting my guys try and find a gap for 5-6 yards in the middle, or use a power O or stretch play with a speedy guy to get outside the defense. I run a committee backfield, so my speedy guy takes the outside handoffs while my bruiser pounds his way up the middle. I maintain a very effective running game by not trying to do too much and just letting my guys pick up the yards that are available. Short yardage is the primary goal there, and everything else is running out the clock or letting my passing game do the work. I only need to complete 1/3 passes to keep a drive going, which can be accomplished most of the time even with QBA at 5 and brutal pass rush.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conception
I run a ton of 3-3-5 but do so in the split formation, which leaves the safeties on either side of the formation close to the line. I love having the safeties in run support, and CB is the defensive position I focus on most, so I can often find some stronger guys to convert to safety who are capable of providing run support but can also line up man to man against any receiver. The lateral run game is absolutely shut down, and while a north south run game can have some success, tackles for loss come often enough in this defense to stall out drives. It can be a little spotty against crossing and quick cutting routes in the passing game, but unless it is third a long, when having two deep safeties help out a lot, it's effective enough as anything else against most passes.

A lot of guys here run a finesse running game. I look for pocket passers, so my QB's don't run, and I tend to keep things simple by letting my guys try and find a gap for 5-6 yards in the middle, or use a power O or stretch play with a speedy guy to get outside the defense. I run a committee backfield, so my speedy guy takes the outside handoffs while my bruiser pounds his way up the middle. I maintain a very effective running game by not trying to do too much and just letting my guys pick up the yards that are available. Short yardage is the primary goal there, and everything else is running out the clock or letting my passing game do the work. I only need to complete 1/3 passes to keep a drive going, which can be accomplished most of the time even with QBA at 5 and brutal pass rush.

Who do you control on defense? What's your base coverage?

I like your take on offense. I always go for the pocket passer. I too like the power running game, and I try to get an 8 man front so I can take advantage of the 1-on-1 match ups.

Last edited by Starter; 06-06-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #62
Rookie

The hard thing about installing a new playbook in your first year with a team is that you don't always have the right players that you need for your system to work immediately. In my Hawaii dynasty, I run a shotgun/pistol offense that focuses on running the ball to set up play-action. The only problem is that I want two types of running backs (ones that are bruisers and can run straight up the gut and ones that are speedsters and can break out a 70+ yard TD run at any time) yet I only have slow bruisers on my team at the moment. It's forced me to adapt and put more of an emphasis on the passing game.

Defensively it's a similar story. I have solid corners now, but I'd like to play a lot more man-coverage than I'm able to now. My corners just aren't big or fast enough to play press and they are constantly getting beat, especially on 3rd down. My ideal mold for a cornerback is 6'0" or greater with a good ability to press their man at the line of scrimmage and good in man coverage. I'd also like for my linebackers to be more flexible in pass coverage. A lot of times on 3rd down, I'm forced to go with a defensive back covering a running back/tight end rather than a linebacker because the linebackers I have right now aren't able to cover that well.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #63
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoyer1994
The hard thing about installing a new playbook in your first year with a team is that you don't always have the right players that you need for your system to work immediately. In my Hawaii dynasty, I run a shotgun/pistol offense that focuses on running the ball to set up play-action. The only problem is that I want two types of running backs (ones that are bruisers and can run straight up the gut and ones that are speedsters and can break out a 70+ yard TD run at any time) yet I only have slow bruisers on my team at the moment. It's forced me to adapt and put more of an emphasis on the passing game.

Defensively it's a similar story. I have solid corners now, but I'd like to play a lot more man-coverage than I'm able to now. My corners just aren't big or fast enough to play press and they are constantly getting beat, especially on 3rd down. My ideal mold for a cornerback is 6'0" or greater with a good ability to press their man at the line of scrimmage and good in man coverage. I'd also like for my linebackers to be more flexible in pass coverage. A lot of times on 3rd down, I'm forced to go with a defensive back covering a running back/tight end rather than a linebacker because the linebackers I have right now aren't able to cover that well.
isn't it great though? To actually have to struggle with these types of things like a real coach would
Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #64
Rookie

TarHeelbred33's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
isn't it great though? To actually have to struggle with these types of things like a real coach would

I agree. I am dealing with that now in of of my OD's. I am switching from spread option to more under center/multiple playbook. Love the recruiting challenge

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »