Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #1
Pro
 
sabres32's Arena
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Nov 2009
Pure confusion

After what just happened to me in my dynasty I'm purely confused. My starting QB graduated at a 95 overall but didn't get drafted. My backup QB who never played but was a 92 overall got drafted in the 7th round. So now I'm only left to assume that stats play ZERO role in determining which players make it to the pros. That kind of bums me out because now that I'm in year 4 of my dynasty, I want to see if I can get my own recruits to the next level, but it seems that the game determines which players get drafted and not the players performance on the field.
sabres32 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
Pro
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Sep 2011
Re: Pure confusion

What were the height/weight of the two players?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
msuduo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Rookie
 
Sir Duke 27's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2013
Re: Pure confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres32
After what just happened to me in my dynasty I'm purely confused. My starting QB graduated at a 95 overall but didn't get drafted. My backup QB who never played but was a 92 overall got drafted in the 7th round. So now I'm only left to assume that stats play ZERO role in determining which players make it to the pros. That kind of bums me out because now that I'm in year 4 of my dynasty, I want to see if I can get my own recruits to the next level, but it seems that the game determines which players get drafted and not the players performance on the field.
Thats because of measurables. If you have a high rated player who is undersized, either too short or too light then he will not be drafted. Theres a certain treshold for different positions minimum requirements. The easy way to find out is to edit the players appearance. There are two different builds for player face based on a combination of height and weight. For instance if you have a 6 ft 175lb QB he will have a small build and you have smaller faces to choose from. For someone around 6'2" 210 you have your average build and for a 6'4" 225 QB he will have a large build. So essentially if your player has a young kid looking face then he is undersized and that will prevent him from being drafted. It has nothing to do with production. Its all about rating and size.
Sir Duke 27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2012
Re: Pure confusion

Matt Cassell, a backup in college, had a much longer career than Tim Tebow, Colt Brennan, Andre Ware, or numerous other successful college QB's. You have to have the measurables and the skills. Its realistic that if some guys don't have the body type of an NFL player they will not be drafted regardless of stats. What I don't know is if stats play any part in determining whether well-rated, good size players get drafted.
conception is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Air Raid
 
Dr Death's Arena
 
OVR: 17
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In The Pocket
Posts: 1,640
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Pure confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Duke 27
Thats because of measurables. If you have a high rated player who is undersized, either too short or too light then he will not be drafted. Theres a certain treshold for different positions minimum requirements. The easy way to find out is to edit the players appearance. There are two different builds for player face based on a combination of height and weight. For instance if you have a 6 ft 175lb QB he will have a small build and you have smaller faces to choose from. For someone around 6'2" 210 you have your average build and for a 6'4" 225 QB he will have a large build. So essentially if your player has a young kid looking face then he is undersized and that will prevent him from being drafted. It has nothing to do with production. Its all about rating and size.
Thanks for sharing that. To me, all this proves is one more example of why EA having the exclusive license for football is a terrible tragedy. So players get drafted based on "measurables" and not production??? Not saying this doesn't happen in the NFL, as you need only look to the Combine to see how stupid scouts/GM's get when somebody's body of work is forgotten about and what he does in shorts and a t-shirt suddenly make his stock rise through the roof. However...

Players without the perfect size - or measurables - not only do get drafted, some of them are NFL legends. I'll give you some examples...

WR: Jerry Rice/Freddy Biletnikoff - Both were too slow. Rice ran a horrible 40 for a WR and they used to say that Freddy was timed with a sun dial he ran so slow. Both became two of the greatest WR's to ever play in the NFL, and both were MVP's in a Super Bowl.

MLB: Jack Lambert - At 6'4 - 220, many scouts felt he was "too small to play LBer in the NFL." So the Steelers stole him in round 2, #46 overall. He only became one of the greatest to ever play the game, helped the Steelers earn their Steel Curtain nickname for the D, helped them win 4 Super Bowls and put fear into every team he faced.

K: Sebastian Janikowski - At 6'1 - 260-ish he would probably never be drafted in the game as a kicker. But in real life he went in round 1, #17 overall and during his career he has done things no other kicker has ever done, including: most 60+ yard FG's in a career with two (61 - in Cleveland in December and 63 at Denver) Longest FG to win an OT game (57 vs Jets) Most FG's of 50+ in one game with three (50,54,55 at Houston in a game the Raiders won 25-20)

QB: Joe Montana - Considered too skinny and too frail by scouts and to have a weak arm, Montana slipped all the way to the end of round 3, #82 overall. All he did was become the greatest clutch QB in NFL history, led the 49ers to a decade of dominance, winning 4 Super Bowls and then took the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game his first year in KC, the furthest the Chiefs have been since winning Super Bowl IV. Considered the most accurate passer ever during his time, his accuracy rating was only eclipsed after he retired and teams started changing the way they played offense.

Just a few examples of players whose size and "measurables" weren't perfect or considered "ideal," but guys who went on to become great NFL players and all of whom are in the HOF save for Janikowski, who is still playing.
__________________
Dr Death
Air Raid


Last edited by Dr Death; 06-14-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Dr Death is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Pro
 
Robo COP's Arena
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Re: Pure confusion

Yes but at the same time, for all those undersized players who accomplished great things there are 10x the amount of undersized players who did great things in college and didn't do squat in the NFL.

Also, if EA did have guys get drafted based off of stats and not take size into consideration everyone would be complaining about how their Madden world is overpopulated by severely undersized QBs, RBs, WRs, etc. Yea, on occasion "undersized" players do great things in the NFL, but that's not the norm so it makes since that the game would try to reflect that. They may take it to too much of an extreme, but I'd rather them go to that extreme than the other way around. I wouldn't want to see every 5'11 95 ovr rated QB going in the 1st/2nd round year in and year out because that is just not how the NFL works
Robo COP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Air Raid
 
Dr Death's Arena
 
OVR: 17
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In The Pocket
Posts: 1,640
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Pure confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
Yes but at the same time, for all those undersized players who accomplished great things there are 10x the amount of undersized players who did great things in college and didn't do squat in the NFL.

Also, if EA did have guys get drafted based off of stats and not take size into consideration everyone would be complaining about how their Madden world is overpopulated by severely undersized QBs, RBs, WRs, etc. Yea, on occasion "undersized" players do great things in the NFL, but that's not the norm so it makes since that the game would try to reflect that. They may take it to too much of an extreme, but I'd rather them go to that extreme than the other way around. I wouldn't want to see every 5'11 95 ovr rated QB going in the 1st/2nd round year in and year out because that is just not how the NFL works
I understand what you're saying, believe me, I do. My point was that the way it is now is not realistic. There are those of us who don't transfer rosters to Madden, so when they "graduate" or "get drafted" or not, that's it.

What they should have is a system that calculates the player over their NFL career if drafted, and they should have a list of un-drafted guys who sign as free agents.

It's now 2014, the game came out in 2013, there's no excuse for this not being in the game. I think it could also be a huge thing for coaches who not only get players drafted, but that those players succeed at the next level. Of course not all would succeed, but if a recruit is looking at two schools, and one has a much greater success rate of sending players to the NFL and them succeeding, then that would be an obvious plus for that coach/school.

They could have a system in place so that every three years or five years you see a report on your NFL players. If you transfer the file to Madden, then you would have that as well.

Of course to do this, EA would have to make some serious changes to the game and with no competition, they will never go to that extreme, but if you're honest with yourself, you'll admit that this would add an immersion to the game that would really make it fun and yet, if done correctly, would add a realism to the game that is sorely lacking.
__________________
Dr Death
Air Raid

Dr Death is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Rookie
 
Sir Duke 27's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2013
Re: Pure confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
I understand what you're saying, believe me, I do. My point was that the way it is now is not realistic. There are those of us who don't transfer rosters to Madden, so when they "graduate" or "get drafted" or not, that's it.

What they should have is a system that calculates the player over their NFL career if drafted, and they should have a list of un-drafted guys who sign as free agents.

It's now 2014, the game came out in 2013, there's no excuse for this not being in the game. I think it could also be a huge thing for coaches who not only get players drafted, but that those players succeed at the next level. Of course not all would succeed, but if a recruit is looking at two schools, and one has a much greater success rate of sending players to the NFL and them succeeding, then that would be an obvious plus for that coach/school.

They could have a system in place so that every three years or five years you see a report on your NFL players. If you transfer the file to Madden, then you would have that as well.

Of course to do this, EA would have to make some serious changes to the game and with no competition, they will never go to that extreme, but if you're honest with yourself, you'll admit that this would add an immersion to the game that would really make it fun and yet, if done correctly, would add a realism to the game that is sorely lacking.
First there is an excuse for this not being in the game. There is no more NCAA Football. So theres no more draft class imports or anything dealing with NCAA football. Secondly, it doesnt matter what it says on NCAA about a players draft status. Once you import the draft class onto Madden 25, the pool of potential draftees takes into account all players in the class of a certain rating. Meaning that undersized players in NCAA Football 14 that were not drafted will be available to draft. However, ratings change but scheme, size and all those things remain the same. A players draft projection in Madden is based upon imported ratings and has nothing to do with NCAA draft results.
Sir Duke 27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Top -