Home

Ridiculous upsets

This is a discussion on Ridiculous upsets within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Ridiculous upsets

A couple things that I do to avoid the ridiculous upsets as well as preventing the option teams becoming powerhouses.

1. Switch all coaches (HC, OC, DC) on Navy, Army, Georgia Tech, and Air Force to different playbook other than the option (I usually give them a pistol PB). The option playbooks are way overpowered when simmed for whatever reason. I also move their run/pass ratio over a bit because I think a heavy run game is also a bit overpowered (I think I put them at 65 run, 35 pass rather than 80/20). This prevents them from becoming powerhouses like they do if you leave them be. It also prevents the coordinators from going to a different school and turning them into a powerhouse just because they run the option playbook.

I also tend to edit their roster a bit in the first few seasons (mostly navy). Reason being is they have a lot of young good rated players (mainly at QB/RB) that if left untouched will progress to 95+ players. Some might be ok with this, but then you are going to see Navy go 11-1, possibly undefeated. And at 95+ ovr that means they are one of the best in college football. When was the last time a military academy player was actually one of the best in the college ranks? Staubach probably.

2. For upsets, when I sim I look to see if there were any odd upsets. Then I have a couple rules as to whether I will resim the game or not

- if it is a "big conference" team defeating another "big conference team" (SEC, ACC, BIG 12, B1G, PAC-12) I tend to let it go unless their ovr team ratings are very far apart (talking in the 15+ range).
- if it is an in conference game I let the results stand. So if say Bama lost to Vanderbilt I wouldn't resim
- If it doesn't fall under the above rules I check the teams ovr ratings. If the losing team is 10+ ovr points higher than the team they lost to I will super sim the game and take those results.

- For losses to FCS teams, I pretty much always resim unless it was a sun belt team or low end team in a bad conference

I'm not incredibly strict with these rules however. if a 99 ovr team loses to an 88 or something along those lines there is a chance I won't resim
Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
Pro

KushNstien's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
A couple things that I do to avoid the ridiculous upsets as well as preventing the option teams becoming powerhouses.

1. Switch all coaches (HC, OC, DC) on Navy, Army, Georgia Tech, and Air Force to different playbook other than the option (I usually give them a pistol PB). The option playbooks are way overpowered when simmed for whatever reason. I also move their run/pass ratio over a bit because I think a heavy run game is also a bit overpowered (I think I put them at 65 run, 35 pass rather than 80/20). This prevents them from becoming powerhouses like they do if you leave them be. It also prevents the coordinators from going to a different school and turning them into a powerhouse just because they run the option playbook.

I also tend to edit their roster a bit in the first few seasons (mostly navy). Reason being is they have a lot of young good rated players (mainly at QB/RB) that if left untouched will progress to 95+ players. Some might be ok with this, but then you are going to see Navy go 11-1, possibly undefeated. And at 95+ ovr that means they are one of the best in college football. When was the last time a military academy player was actually one of the best in the college ranks? Staubach probably.

2. For upsets, when I sim I look to see if there were any odd upsets. Then I have a couple rules as to whether I will resim the game or not

- if it is a "big conference" team defeating another "big conference team" (SEC, ACC, BIG 12, B1G, PAC-12) I tend to let it go unless their ovr team ratings are very far apart (talking in the 15+ range).
- if it is an in conference game I let the results stand. So if say Bama lost to Vanderbilt I wouldn't resim
- If it doesn't fall under the above rules I check the teams ovr ratings. If the losing team is 10+ ovr points higher than the team they lost to I will super sim the game and take those results.

- For losses to FCS teams, I pretty much always resim unless it was a sun belt team or low end team in a bad conference

I'm not incredibly strict with these rules however. if a 99 ovr team loses to an 88 or something along those lines there is a chance I won't resim
I sometimes let the FCS team win (if its a 3* or lower since it happens!)
Luckily i have never seen Army or Navy go undefeated, Navy was 9-0 but then they lost their last two games knocking them out of the to #25 they never been in there since. Army on the other hand led the leauge in rushing yards a few seasons sometimes which was interesting.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

u can axe Army, and Navy outta National Title pictures if u move them into conferences and just leave ND in the Independents....if only we could burn the Independent "conference" in all! gotta remember tho that "ridiculous" upsets r probable as all around talent is growing. and u cant account for injuries....a 99 overall team may have their 97 ovr QB break his leg and they have some 80 overall freshman waiting in the wings and hes just not ready....nothing is really impossible although i do get y u could b worried
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
Rookie

TarHeelbred33's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
Get the Buffeye rosters, it adds tons of realism and stops all the top teams from getting taken out in the first couple weeks. Also option teams are pretty overpowered.
I LOVE Buffeyes sliders/rosters, but here is my issue. I want to use them for an online dynasty or even offline dynasty. Will the slider/roster not be irrelevant after a couple season when player progression and recruits take effect?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP

These are good guidelines, I'll probably begin re-simming next season. I don't mind off the wall upsets now and then but great teams losing consistently is lame.

I'm in my first year at Arkansas and the challenge of the SEC east attracted me to the job. When 99 ovr Bama is losing 6 games in a season it loses its excitment.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I haven't had much of an issue with crazy upsets at all and I'm about 20 seasons into my dynasty. For the past few releases (probably since NCAA '12) I've had some rules that I use for unrealistic upsets.
1. I will only resim if it involves a top 25 team. If a 99 unranked team loses to an FCS team, I don't care. If the 99 OVR team IS in the top 25, then I'd resim.
2. I don't resim if both teams are in the top 25. If a 99 OVR #1 team loses to a 70 OVR #25 team, then that's a fair loss in my book since they're both ranked.
3. If it is a ranked team losing to an unranked team, then I'll only resim if their ratings are separated by the following amount:
  • FAVORED TEAM @ HOME: If the is at least a full letter grade worse I'll resim. IE A vs. B is resimmed, A vs. B+ is not resimmed.
  • FAVORED TEAM ON THE ROAD: If the favored team is 1 1/3 grades better then I'll resim, otherwise I won't. IE. A vs. B- is resimmed, A vs. B is not.

As for the option teams being overpowered, if you change their PBs and run : pass ratios, you won't have an issue. You need to make sure that you do this for all option coaches, including OC/DC. If you don't, then when one ends up at a place like Texas or Georgia then they get really, really ridiculous.
I changed the option teams to spread option, run balanced, and air force PBs. I also changed their ratios to 70 run: 30 pass and everything was fine. 75:25 still caused them to be unrealistically dominant in simmed games.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelbred33
I LOVE Buffeyes sliders/rosters, but here is my issue. I want to use them for an online dynasty or even offline dynasty. Will the slider/roster not be irrelevant after a couple season when player progression and recruits take effect?
You should be fine, the generated recruits usually aren't too overpowered so when the regens take over in four years, you should have a balanced game still.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 4

use the editor at the beginning of the season

in the schedule tab, set

UserPlayer =1
GFFU=1
GFMX = 0

and that allows you to resim the games without having to do an advance to week (just like it worked from NCAA04-12)

it also turns off the rece davis feature, but who cares

for bowls, week 1, ccg week - you can edit the SGIN table and set Game # to 127 and it will unlock sim results for those games too

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »