Home

Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law

This is a discussion on Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
They don't have to use player names and likeness. Sell the game with random generated players and include an editor.
Even if the players are included, there is nothing stating that they would require a $5000 payment. We are already seeing many players who are upset that the game is not coming out this year. For many, they are just excited to be in a game. If they get something extra out of it, they'll be even happier.
The cost to EA or 2K would not be much. The amount given to the players would be taken from the license agreements with the NCAA, conferences and schools. Instead of the institutions getting 100% of the money, a portion would go to the players. No different than how the pro league rights and player rights work for Madden / NBA 2K etc.
The injunction will also prohibit the NCAA from “enforcing any rules to prevent its member schools and conferences from offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires,” Wilken wrote. Her injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the money held in that trust, but prohibits the NCAA's cap to be less than $5,000 for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete." This pretty much eliminates any chance of an NCAA licensed game from ever being made again
Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law

If I'm reading that right it's saying that any NCAA cap must be more than $5000. That doesn't mean any particular entity must pay $5000.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
it is stated in the article at the very end " The injunction will also prohibit the NCAA from “enforcing any rules to prevent its member schools and conferences from offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires,” Wilken wrote. Her injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the money held in that trust, but prohibits the NCAA's cap to be less than $5,000 for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete." That right there sums up that it will nearly be impossible for an NCAA licensed game to ever exist again
That is not saying that EA or 2K or some other company/organization has to cough-up $5000 to each player.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #20
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
Like everyone else I just want College sports video games back. From all Companies 2k and EA and whoever else. A lot of players would be willing to be in the game for little money, and now that they get paid for likeness, It should be no problem for a contract to be drawn up every year to prevent mistreatment form either side. Just want college sports back, we are losing too many sports games anyway
Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
That is not saying that EA or 2K or some other company/organization has to cough-up $5000 to each player.
yes butr the NCAA will pass that cost on to EA/ 2K. thats usually how things work
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
but the NCAA will just pass that fee on to EA/2K and I doubt they are willing to pay that
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
If I'm reading that right it's saying that any NCAA cap must be more than $5000. That doesn't mean any particular entity must pay $5000.
The NCAA will pass the 5000 per player fee onto EA/2K and I doubt they will be willing to pay that
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #24
Rookie

Re: Judge Rules In Favor of O'Bannon, NCAA Violates Anti-Trust Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
It is now safe to say that there will never be another NCAA licensed game made ever again because it will be way too costly for game developers. I did the math on makin a college basketball game featuring all 144 teams at 16 players a team. it said each player has to be paid at least 5,000 dollars a year. So 5,000 dollars times 16 players on a team equals 11,520,000 dollars and the game most likely wont make that much...A NCAA licensed college football game will cost just as much if not more. I just don't see it happening
I think only 12 are on scholarship per team

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »