Home

Manual random number based offseason improvement

This is a discussion on Manual random number based offseason improvement within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Manual random number based offseason improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
Good update Hellisan. Glad you're sticking with it. I agree, it is something fun to look forward when you have a custom offseason progression system like this. But also it is a bit of a bummer when one of your better recruits gets hit with a low roll.

I am developing something new for the offseason progression of my returning roster players (meaning those other than incoming recruits and transfers)

While I have been using my "Low Achievers and Late Bloomers" system, it only applies a set amount (reduction or bonus), but my new system will be much more random and interesting.

I have put a good bit of work put into it, but since I won't be actually implementing it until my next offseason, I will probably have to tweak it.

Here's the concept: Some variety on player progression will come from this "card" system. Cards are drawn with unique modifiers that must be applied. There are 5 categories: Major Reduction, Minor Reduction, Major Bonus, Minor Bonus and a global/broad type.

It begins with an dice roll that determines what reductions or bonuses will be applied that offseason.
StoneCalf, have you finished implementing this system yet? I am interested in what the results have looked like and possibly implementing the same in my dynasty.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #50
Rookie

JDRAKE349's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
so whereas in my most recent offseason the team improved an average of 4.67 points the "old way", my system ended up with improvement slightly less than 3 OVR points per player. But that includes a few players that drop by as much as 5 OVR points.

I keep an annual roster (this will be necessary so you can edit players at the start of the season back to their original ratings) and it has the basic skills that apply to each position along with the OVR. So for running backs, ACC/AGI/SPD/STR/ and the "moves" ratings along with Carry. I also list pass blocking for that position.

At the end of this roster I have some created ratings for my players. One is Work Ethic - WE - which applies to the improvement. Each player has a randomly selected rating between 40 and 99 for this, which never changes (for me at least... do what you want). To originally set this up I recommend either using the random.org app or go to this site and set the random numbers with this site

http://www.wessa.net/rwasp_rngnorm.wasp - You can do multiple runs and look for the best distribution that fits what you're trying to get done. Then you could randomize THOSE numbers for applying to your players. Anything that takes it completely out of your hands.

So this is pretty simple, each offseason you randomly select the player improvement based on that work ethic rating.

I'm currently using:
(WORK ETHIC RANGE)- IMPROVEMENT RANGE

(40-45) -5 to 4
(46-50) -4 to 4
(51-55) -4 to 5
(56-60) -3 to 5
(61-65) -3 to 6
(66-70) -3 to 7
(71-75) -2 to 7
(76-80) -2 to 8
(81-85) -1 to 9
(86-90) 0 to 10
(91-95) 1 to 11
(96-99) 2 to 12

I should mention here that I also had a randomly selected number from 1 to 4 that applied to the type of improvements they would make... I balance this with their "player type" rating - i.e. a "pass block" tackle will always improve more as a pass blocker than as a run blocker, but a balanced tackle will improve similarly in both.

1 - physicality - STRENGTH agi/acc, rarely speed
2 - awareness - huge awareness gain, then minor improvement elsewhere
3 - position skills based - block shedding/pursuit for defensive players as an example
4 - all around improvement
Finally reached the offseason in my first year as a HC and will be implementing an adjusted version of this! Since I don't want to readjust all players back to original ratings after training, I'm going to simply extend the lower limits of each spectrum. Since the players automatically improve by an average of 4-5 points, I figured I would drop the lower spectrum by 5 points. So my chart would look like this:

(40-45) -10 to -1
(46-50) -9 to -1
(51-55) -9 to 0
(56-60) -8 to 0
(61-65) -8 to 1
(66-70) -8 to 1
(71-75) -7 to 2
(76-80) -7 to 3
(81-85) -6 to 4
(86-90) -5 to 5
(91-95) -4 to 6
(96-99) -3 to 7

I'll have a better idea of how it looks after I do my adjustments, but this feels like a good start. I'm considering using StoneCalf's Diamonds and Duds as well, but just 1 of each. Guess we'll see how I feel once this is done!
Portland Trailblazers
UMaine Black Bears (Alma Mater)

Last edited by JDRAKE349; 03-02-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #51
Rookie

JDRAKE349's Arena

Had a chance to finish the randomized/Work Ethic improvement this morning. Here are the results:

Computer Training Average Increase: 4.82
My adjustment to Hellisan's ratings range = -5 (so this was pretty spot on)
Average Work Ethic Adjustment = -2.89
Average Net Change: 1.98
Max: +10 OVR
Min: -6 OVR (that stung)

Average Work Ethic Rating: 67.01 vs a 69.5 median, so the range seems legit

After one offseason, my team improved by almost 2 points on average instead of nearly 5. Definitely stunted my team's growth this year - but better rolls within the improvement ranges could have produced different results. Going to be interesting to seen how it pans out next offseason and compare the two!

Some cool changes that would not have otherwise happened:
-A changing of the guard at HB, the talented and hard working JR was able to steal the starting role from the SR with a great offseason.
-A receiver who looked like he would never see the field made great strides over the summer and worked his way into the starting rotation.
-A receiver who looked poised to become a starter instead fell to the bottom of the pack with zero improvement from the previous year
-A changing of the guard at center as well, junior backup had a huge offseason while the senior was stagnant
-Defensive ends really struggled over the offseason. Though I have 7 players for a 3-4 system, their lack of progress (and some regression) has made this a huge priority this recruiting season as my two starters graduate
-Defensive backfield as a whole regressed by two points. A group that struggled for me last year will have even more trouble this year as their senior leader at CB appears to be throwing in the towel on his football career.

While it definitely sucks to have some of your players remain stagnant or regress, it certainly brings some realism to the game and keeps it interesting! You can make up storylines to go along with the changes (like I just listed) to bring even more life to it. Really enjoying this so far, thanks Hellisan!
Portland Trailblazers
UMaine Black Bears (Alma Mater)

Last edited by JDRAKE349; 03-03-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #52
PS2/PSP Modding

antdroid's Arena

I'm entering the off-season recruiting phase in my game so I'll hope to use what you've all done as a base if I have time and try my own attempt and post my results.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #53
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

I've decided to implement a change to this that I find interesting.

I started with a new team, and this will be my first offseason doing this. I've decided to hide the ETH rating (work ethic rating) for all the new and existing players. I'll remember some of the ratings for sure, but for the most part their actual improvement (which will now be calculated in Excel using RANDBETWEEN) will be the evidence of their rating there.

edit: This didn't stick at all. I just lost interest in it and figure there's no harm to knowing the ETH rating if I'm not cheating.

Last edited by Hellisan; 01-22-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
I've decided to implement a change to this that I find interesting.

I started with a new team, and this will be my first offseason doing this. I've decided to hide the ETH rating (work ethic rating) for all the new and existing players. I'll remember some of the ratings for sure, but for the most part their actual improvement (which will now be calculated in Excel using RANDBETWEEN) will be the evidence of their rating there.
Do you have a particular reason to hide the WE rating from yourself? Also, the main problem with rand or randbetween I find is that it constant refreshes a new value each time I open the file or change a formula.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #55
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigmike
Do you have a particular reason to hide the WE rating from yourself? Also, the main problem with rand or randbetween I find is that it constant refreshes a new value each time I open the file or change a formula.
Trial basis, so I don't necessarily know who will improve. You're right about that formula. I just copy it so it's there for everybody, do one more change so it recalcs all, and then copy, paste it over as values.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #56
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

I’m thinking about starting a new dynasty and may look into introducing this into it to keep it refreshing as to who improves and who doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »