Home

Coach mode kickers

This is a discussion on Coach mode kickers within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Rookie

Trojan32's Arena

OVR: 0
Coach mode kickers

Even with sliders at 0, the coach mode HM kicker is Janikowski-like every year.

Has anyone toyed with the kickers acc/power ratings and came up with something a little more realistic?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Coach mode kickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan32

Has anyone toyed with the kickers acc/power ratings and came up with something a little more realistic?
I don't know what "HM kicker" means. I also don't watch the NFL so I don't know if Janikowski like is "extremely good" or "extremely bad" (but since you're setting the sliders to 0, I'm assuming it means "extremely good.")

I don't play coach mode, but for every FGA I switch teams and let the CPU kick for me so, for FGs, it's like I play coach mode. I do this because if I kicked myself my kickers would always be 100% accurate.

My CPU sliders are 40 FGP and 35 FGA.

This has worked very well for me as my guys miss FGs at a pretty realistic rate. (Which is what's great about it since you need to recruit kickers with good KPW AND KAC.

Here are the career numbers for the kickers that I've had during my 25 year dynasty.

with the green @ the bottom being the summation of all of them.

According the CFB statistics:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/...07/sort01.html

the average FG% for the top 100 kickers in the country is 74.2%. My kickers (who are always upper echelon kickers) have made 78.9% during their careers (and again they would've made roughly 98% had I controlled the kickers myself). My guys have only made 41% of kicks beyond 50 yds and have even missed some from inside 30 yds.

In short, using 40/35 FGP/FGA with a CPU controlled kicker has worked very, very well for me.

EDIT:
I attached my screenshot as it was tough to see the picture above and it won't let me zoom in.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (30.2 KB, 182 views)
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 10-13-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

The following data is from Coach Mode Play.

By using the Generic Editor (XBOX 360), I have been able to set combinations of Kick Power and Kick Accuracy which result in a high percentage of missed FGs and PATs - with Kick Power and Kick Accuracy Sliders set to 50. The Kick Accuracy Rating threshold seems to be 45. Setting ratings below 45 result in a significant reduction in Kick Accuracy to the point where missed FGs and PATs occur frequently.

With the Kick Accuracy Rating set to 45, FGs over 35 yards in total length become problematic and there are occasional (but rare) missed PATs and missed shorter FGs. Adjusting the Kick Accuracy Rating is more like flipping a switch than implementing gradual changes.

Unfortunately, there is only one Kick Power Rating available. Thus, while lowering Kick Power affects FGs, it also affects Kickoffs. Again, a 45 setting seems to be a threshold setting.

I have observed that, with Kick Power and Kick Accuracy ratings set around 45, the Kick Sliders have relatively little impact, unless set to very high or very low levels. I have also observed that Kicker ratings and performance are affected by Momentum changes, particularly at Heisman Difficulty - and the Momentum impact is greater on the Human Kicker than the CPU Kicker.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I don't know what "HM kicker" means. I also don't watch the NFL so I don't know if Janikowski like is "extremely good" or "extremely bad" (but since you're setting the sliders to 0, I'm assuming it means "extremely good.")

I don't play coach mode, but for every FGA I switch teams and let the CPU kick for me so, for FGs, it's like I play coach mode. I do this because if I kicked myself my kickers would always be 100% accurate.

My CPU sliders are 40 FGP and 35 FGA.

This has worked very well for me as my guys miss FGs at a pretty realistic rate. (Which is what's great about it since you need to recruit kickers with good KPW AND KAC.

Here are the career numbers for the kickers that I've had during my 25 year dynasty.

with the green @ the bottom being the summation of all of them.

According the CFB statistics:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/...07/sort01.html

the average FG% for the top 100 kickers in the country is 74.2%. My kickers (who are always upper echelon kickers) have made 78.9% during their careers (and again they would've made roughly 98% had I controlled the kickers myself). My guys have only made 41% of kicks beyond 50 yds and have even missed some from inside 30 yds.

In short, using 40/35 FGP/FGA with a CPU controlled kicker has worked very, very well for me.

EDIT:
I attached my screenshot as it was tough to see the picture above and it won't let me zoom in.
I just recently started a coach mode dynasty and now I see that it's nothing like letting the CPU kick for me. I don't understand why it's different, but I see the same problem that the OP saw with my kicker never missing.

So, now I'm just doing the same thing that I did when I played the games myself. After I fail a 3rd down attempt and I know that I'm gonna kick a FG I'll switch teams and let the CPU kick for me. I haven't kicked enough FGs like this in my coach mode dynasty to know if it works as well as I posted earlier, but I expect it to.

If you're gonna do this there are 2 important notes:
  1. Makes sure that you swtich teams before the play calling screen comes up, otherwise the switching won't take place until the next play.
  2. Switch to your opponent, don't go CPU v CPU. This is because sometimes (pretty often if your kicker has a weak leg) the CPU controlling your team will decide to go for it instead of kicking a FG. If this happens I'll make the defense jump offsides and switch teams back to my own. Then I'll chew the play clock (the game clock won't be running because of the previous penalty) and take a delay of game to put the ball back in its original spot. Then I'll kick the FG myself.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I just recently started a coach mode dynasty and now I see that it's nothing like letting the CPU kick for me. I don't understand why it's different, but I see the same problem that the OP saw with my kicker never missing.

So, now I'm just doing the same thing that I did when I played the games myself. After I fail a 3rd down attempt and I know that I'm gonna kick a FG I'll switch teams and let the CPU kick for me. I haven't kicked enough FGs like this in my coach mode dynasty to know if it works as well as I posted earlier, but I expect it to.

If you're gonna do this there are 2 important notes:
  1. Makes sure that you swtich teams before the play calling screen comes up, otherwise the switching won't take place until the next play.
  2. Switch to your opponent, don't go CPU v CPU. This is because sometimes (pretty often if your kicker has a weak leg) the CPU controlling your team will decide to go for it instead of kicking a FG. If this happens I'll make the defense jump offsides and switch teams back to my own. Then I'll chew the play clock (the game clock won't be running because of the previous penalty) and take a delay of game to put the ball back in its original spot. Then I'll kick the FG myself.
Here's a quick update.

When I originally did normal coach mode FGAs my kicker (82 KPW, 80 KAC) made 15/15 FGs.

After I started switching sides and letting the CPU kick for me, my kicker (now he has 86 KPW, 84 KAC) has only made 8/11 FGs (72%) and all 3 misses were wide, and not short.

Last edited by jello1717; 10-22-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #6
Rookie

Trojan32's Arena

OVR: 0

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to switch up my K's ACC & PWR this upcoming year and see what results I get.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

I just finished my 1st season with my new team ECU. Their kicker has 76 KPW, 82 KAC.

I used my method of switching teams to my opponent and letting the CPU kick for me and once again it worked great. He hit 74% total. 78% from 20+, 75% from 30+, and 67% from 40+.

Because he has such a weak leg the CPU would never attempt a FG from 40+ so I always had to switch back to ECU and kick it with coach mode. Of those 40+ they were all (sadly) right on target, but the 2 misses were short. All of his kicks < 40 yds were with the CPU kicking them. I LOVE that my guy even missed a couple from < 30 yds.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (34.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

I've continued my method of letting the CPU kick for me. An easier way to do it than switching teams is to just "watch" a supersim of it. If there's any question of whether or not the supersim will kick, I go to "ask coach" and see if that says kick FG. If it does, the supersim will kick. If not, it won't.

I'm in 2022 with North Carolina and I'm facing Florida St in the CCG. The game was a brutal defensive struggle and it's tied 9-9 after regulation.

I win the toss and play D and hold them to a FG. I get to 1st and goal, but am stuffed on 3 straight plays and have to kick a FG to send it to a second OT.

We line up for the gimme 25 yd FG and my kicker (90 KPW, 85 KAC) misses it WIDE and we lose the CCG because of that.

If I were to do a normal coach mode kick, I'm 100% sure that I would've made it (since I've never ever missed a coach mode FGA wide). It was a BRUTAL way to lose this awesome defensive struggle, but I'm thrilled that missing 25 yd FGs is a possibility (which it isn't with normal coach mode kicking).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »