Home

Coach mode question

This is a discussion on Coach mode question within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Rookie

KuruptOwnz's Arena

OVR: 3
Coach mode question

So, how does one choose coach mode in 14? Lol

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Pro

souljahbill's Arena

OVR: 2
Coach mode question

In play now? Go to Coach Mode. In dynasty? In the menu where you select your offensive and defensive playbooks for the game, there's another option that should say regular. The other options are 1-button mode and Coach. Select coach.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Coach mode question

This is the best gameplay mode hands down this year

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
After 25 years in my normal dynasty I've started up a coach mode dynasty and I'm LOVING it so far. I'm just starting 2015. I started as the OC of ODU and I'm now the HC @ UMass. My 1st year @ UMass we went 4-8, but at least we were 4-4 in conference.

Anywho, I have a few questions about coach mode.

1. Is there a way to keep your scramblers from scrambling all the time? I run a spread option so I expect to only recruit scramblers. I love them for their speed on options, but they can drive me nuts when they scramble all the time on passes. I called a pass play because I want him to PASS THE BALL! Scrambles usually net fewer yards than they'd get with a pass and, more importantly, REALLY open my QB up to injuries and fumbles.

I'm tempted to change my QBs to balanced instead of scramblers, but to do that in game I'd have to either make them slower or have better arms, which I don't want to do. I've used the editor extensively to add playoffs and change conferences, but I can't get it to work with rosters so I've never looked at rosters in the editor. Is there simply a field that determines their type (scrambler/balanced)? I know in game it's based on an algorithm that uses passing and running ratings, but it'd be sweet if the editor just has a field (such that you could flag a 99 THP/THA, 40 SPD/40 ACC QB as "scrambler" if you wanted). If this is the case, I could try to get the editor to work on a different computer.

2. Do I have any control over the punter/kicker? My punter has a big leg and I've not been able to get him to angle it out of bounds yet. I've tried aiming and then pushing "A". I've tried aiming and using the kick meter with the RS. Even when I only fill the meter 20% of the way he still booms it down the middle of the field and through the end zone.

3. Is there a way to switch players/hot route on defense? When playing games I rarely hot route, but I do HR my MLB to spy against scramblers fairly often and I also love to use a HR to turn a cover 2 into a cover 3. So far, I haven't found a way to hot route on defense except, of course, for the 1 guy on D that is always selected. For my 3-4 D this is MLB2 (I'd MUCH rather have it be MLB1) for 3-4 and the stupid RE for nickle normal.

I know I had other questions, but I don't remember then right now.

Thanx in advance for the help.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 10-21-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
Rookie

Cards_King70's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I second this. EA Sports should have included both modes in Madden 25 that would make 10x times better than original.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
After 25 years in my normal dynasty I've started up a coach mode dynasty and I'm LOVING it so far. I'm just starting 2015. I started as the OC of ODU and I'm now the HC @ UMass. My 1st year @ UMass we went 4-8, but at least we were 4-4 in conference.

Anywho, I have a few questions about coach mode.

1. Is there a way to keep your scramblers from scrambling all the time? I run a spread option so I expect to only recruit scramblers. I love them for their speed on options, but they can drive me nuts when they scramble all the time on passes. I called a pass play because I want him to PASS THE BALL! Scrambles usually net fewer yards than they'd get with a pass and, more importantly, REALLY open my QB up to injuries and fumbles.

I'm tempted to change my QBs to balanced instead of scramblers, but to do that in game I'd have to either make them slower or have better arms, which I don't want to do. I've used the editor extensively to add playoffs and change conferences, but I can't get it to work with rosters so I've never looked at rosters in the editor. Is there simply a field that determines their type (scrambler/balanced)? I know in game it's based on an algorithm that uses passing and running ratings, but it'd be sweet if the editor just has a field (such that you could flag a 99 THP/THA, 40 SPD/40 ACC QB as "scrambler" if you wanted). If this is the case, I could try to get the editor to work on a different computer.

2. Do I have any control over the punter/kicker? My punter has a big leg and I've not been able to get him to angle it out of bounds yet. I've tried aiming and then pushing "A". I've tried aiming and using the kick meter with the RS. Even when I only fill the meter 20% of the way he still booms it down the middle of the field and through the end zone.

3. Is there a way to switch players/hot route on defense? When playing games I rarely hot route, but I do HR my MLB to spy against scramblers fairly often and I also love to use a HR to turn a cover 2 into a cover 3. So far, I haven't found a way to hot route on defense except, of course, for the 1 guy on D that is always selected. For my 3-4 D this is MLB2 (I'd MUCH rather have it be MLB1) for 3-4 and the stupid RE for nickle normal.

I know I had other questions, but I don't remember then right now.

Thanx in advance for the help.

1- I haven't figured out how to stop the QB's from scrambling at all. I got frustrated also to the point I put together a pistol playbook with 2 good HB and a pocket passer. I don't recruit scrambling QB's anymore

2- IMO this is where the accurate/power kickers really come into play. I have used the stick to adjust the kick power and aim it and it seems to work better (not perfect) with a very accurate kicker but with a power kicker I doesn't seem to matter

3- I don't think you can HR because you cant switch players in coach mode, I just try to put a decent audible package together that can cover most of the formations the offense can put on the field

Hope this helped alittle
Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

If I were a coach in a real football game, I would not be able to control what players are doing on the field. Therefore, in a perfect world, playing a football game in Coach Mode in NCAA 14 would provide a complete simulation of the experience I would have as a real-life coach. As currently configured, NCAA 14 Coach Mode comes close to doing so. I must still press the A button to snap the ball, but otherwise, I have no control of on-the-field action.

Regarding the earlier poster's question about QB Tendency, there is no data field which can be adjusted to choose tendencies. QB Tendency is determined by the software and the calculation is interactively affected by several different QB ratings. It is also possible that certain Penalty settings will affect a QB's tendency to scramble.

A scrambling QB can be an effective player with adequate Run Blocking.

Regarding Kickers, adjusting the Kicking Angle before a Coach Mode Kick has no impact, based upon my observations after having played many Coach Mode games. However, adjusting Kick Power and Kick Accuracy ratings can have a dramatic impact on a Kicker's performance, to the point where a kicker can become totally ineffective.

One other Coach Mode observation: Because the User must snap the ball for the User Team, False Start penalties do not ever occur for the User Team ((at least, I have never seen one). It might be possible to generate False Starts for the User Team if the O-Linemen were given very low Awareness Ratings, but such ratings might also have really adverse effects on their abilities to block successfully.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Just started!

OVR: 0

good, I've tried aiming and then pushing "A". I've tried aiming and using the kick meter with the RS. Even when I only fill the meter 20% of the way he still booms it down the middle of the field and through the end zone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »