Home

Defending TE and WR

This is a discussion on Defending TE and WR within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1
Defending TE and WR

I should be playing another user in my online dynasty in the BCS NC Game (assuming we both win our conference title games vs CPU teams which we should). From previous games/seasons I know he likes to run Power-O, generally from 21 personnel I-form sets. I can generally slow this down even though he generally has a good-balanced HB and a strong running game. I know I will probably get burned by a couple long throws when he pulls out the PA Power-O, but I can limit these by slowing down the run game that sets these up.

Where my defense really struggles against his offense is the drop-back passing game where he features a good pass-catching TE. Looking at his stats from this season (#1WR with 60 catches and 1200+ yards, TE with 71 catches and 1200+ yards, next receiver of any kind with 12 catches and 200+ yards) it appears his gameplan hasn't changed any and I need some help slowing his TE down.

I run a 3-4 defense but am more often in a 3-3-5/nickel look based on the number of spread looks I face. I vary between the 3-3-5 Okie and Nickel 3-3-5 Sam looks with a 3rd safety "package subbed" into the 3-3-5 Sam so that I'm using the same personnel (I put the 3rd corner back in on obvious passing downs).

I typically control the "Rush OLB" and play Cover-1 or Cover-3 on 1st down, and mix Man Under-2, Cover-6, Cover-4 or a Cover-3 Zone Blitz on passing downs.

I have a lot of success against CPU teams with this defense, but struggle against this users offense. Any tips on how to slow down a good receiving TE using this defensive framework?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Rookie

Tha_Mac's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Defending TE and WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
I should be playing another user in my online dynasty in the BCS NC Game (assuming we both win our conference title games vs CPU teams which we should). From previous games/seasons I know he likes to run Power-O, generally from 21 personnel I-form sets. I can generally slow this down even though he generally has a good-balanced HB and a strong running game. I know I will probably get burned by a couple long throws when he pulls out the PA Power-O, but I can limit these by slowing down the run game that sets these up.

Where my defense really struggles against his offense is the drop-back passing game where he features a good pass-catching TE. Looking at his stats from this season (#1WR with 60 catches and 1200+ yards, TE with 71 catches and 1200+ yards, next receiver of any kind with 12 catches and 200+ yards) it appears his gameplan hasn't changed any and I need some help slowing his TE down.

I run a 3-4 defense but am more often in a 3-3-5/nickel look based on the number of spread looks I face. I vary between the 3-3-5 Okie and Nickel 3-3-5 Sam looks with a 3rd safety "package subbed" into the 3-3-5 Sam so that I'm using the same personnel (I put the 3rd corner back in on obvious passing downs).

I typically control the "Rush OLB" and play Cover-1 or Cover-3 on 1st down, and mix Man Under-2, Cover-6, Cover-4 or a Cover-3 Zone Blitz on passing downs.

I have a lot of success against CPU teams with this defense, but struggle against this users offense. Any tips on how to slow down a good receiving TE using this defensive framework?

Me I use the FS on defense and my pass defense is pretty good. If I was playing against big time TE I would use Cover 1 to let an athletic safety cover him then me being the FS in Zone for Cover 1 could double him.

Of course if your corners aren't good enuff to be left on an island you may struggle with this idea.

I found that it's almost harder to cover a big time TE than it is a Big Time WR becuase the best TE routes for the most part are all at one position. Whereas the best WR routes in different formations could be the slot or flank or elsewhere.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »