Home

One thing that has NOT been discussed: "Mindreader" AI Defense

This is a discussion on One thing that has NOT been discussed: "Mindreader" AI Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2004, 12:45 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: One thing that has NOT been discussed: \"Mindreader\" AI Defense

The guy who said the defense should not come out overloaded on one side against a balanced formation was right on. I agree that the cpu should not shift the line so much because it makes it too easy. It is very simple to set up audibles for a formation that has runs to either side and turn the perfect defensive shifts into horrible defenses. I did play a season where I could not call any audibles and I still had a very productive offense. However, in real games, the defensive line is not shifted all over the place like it is on 2004.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2004, 04:16 PM   #26
Banned

Ever played madden? EA makes up for its poor playcalling AI by just flat out cheating.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:25 PM   #27
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

AuburnAlumni said:
It is just as cheap that EA has programmed in a "mindreader" defense for the CPU.

Good point Auburn. Last week I broke out NCAA for the first time since January, and before long I said "Oh yeah, I forgot about the psychic CPU defense." For me, it is most noticable on a weak side run to the short side of the field, and the CPU shifts to overload that side.

I would like EA to address this and have the CPU run the ball more before adding all sorts of stadium adrenalin meters and Division III schools.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #28
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

BleedPurple said:
Here's a suggestion - If you call a run to the left, and the defense shifts left, then call an audible TO THE LEFT. It only makes sense that the defense will shift right, anticipating that you will audible away from the original shift. Have any of you guys ever played football before? This happens all the time. You just have to be smarter than a freakin' computer chip. Same with run/pass audibles. If you call a run up the middle, and the defense stacks the box, then call another RUN UP THE MIDDLE. The defense will likely back-off, anticipating that you chose a pass play. You will be pleasently surprised with the results.

Um...not sure how much NCAA you play but I've tried this countless times and it doesn't work. If you audible to go the same way the original play was supposed to go, the AI will NOT shift. Football is not only about outplaying the opponent but outsmarting your opponent as well. The problem is, you can't outsmart an opponent that knows your every move.

edit: the mindreading AI is the reason I'd rather play on AA with heavily adjusted sliders than Heisman with average sliders. Heisman is so undeniably cheap I can't stand it. I always use Ohio State, so to try Heisman, I played against a D+ team and they were faster than me, their D-line overpowered my O-line as well as their O-line somehow being able to hold off Will Smith, Tim Anderson, Darrion Scott, and Simon Fraser, arguably one of the top 3 defensive lines in all of college football last season. I just can't stand it, and I really wish EA scrapped the whole system the comp uses to pick plays.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:02 AM   #29
Rookie

The key to beating the mindreader defense is to have a shotgun pass play as one of your audibles along with one of your best running plays. If you call a run and the defense does its overload, auidble to the shotgun pass play. The defense will adjust. Then audible back to your best run play and you will often times get the defense straight up or even out of position.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #30
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Yes, that works, but it shouldn't have to be that way. Whoever I'm playing shouldn't know exactly what play I'm doing until well after the ball has been snapped.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:10 AM   #31
Q**tt*rs N*V*R W*n

OVR: 2

The mindreader AI must be changed. And not only with the shifting, but the personnel packages.

This problem would be more acceptable if the computer defense made its playcalls and shifts based upon my previous playcalling -- that's what happens in real life. Your opponent picks up on your tendencies and forces you to adjust.

[Although the AI does adjust playcalling during a game to counteract the human player], the computer's defense is stout simply because the computer knows the what the human player is doing. There is nothing one can do to fix this.

Think about it: If you were a defensive coordinator and you see the offense enter the huddle with four wide receivers and no tight ends or fullbacks, would you put three linebackers and four lineman on the field? Of course not. Even if you anticipated run, the offense's personnel compels you to choose a nickel or dime package and then call a defense designed to stop the run.

This reasoning is part of the reason spread offenses are effective. The spread dictates to the defense to put lots of DB's on the field and put them away from "the box." You can then use running plays in the spread against a smaller and less compact defense.

But trying this spread offense in NCAA 2004 is impossible because even if you call a run from Ace Spread, the defense will call a 4-3 or 4-4 defense.

EA probably won't fix this because for the most part, the computer defense is built on knowing your play, not the quality of the players or your playcalling history. If EA fixes this mindreader problem, it would eliminate an essential component of how the computer plays sound defense.

I'm hoping that ESPN's new Virtual Identity Profile (VIP) system helps its AI play strong defense based on offensive tendencies, not playbook mindreading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2004, 08:58 AM   #32
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

AuburnAlumni said:
Quote:

BleedPurple said:
Here's a suggestion - If you call a run to the left, and the defense shifts left, then call an audible TO THE LEFT. It only makes sense that the defense will shift right, anticipating that you will audible away from the original shift. Have any of you guys ever played football before? This happens all the time. You just have to be smarter than a freakin' computer chip. Same with run/pass audibles. If you call a run up the middle, and the defense stacks the box, then call another RUN UP THE MIDDLE. The defense will likely back-off, anticipating that you chose a pass play. You will be pleasently surprised with the results.

Bro...I'm not trying to get in an argument with you...but do this....

Come out in Shotgun 5 WR and call a QB Draw....watch the defense come out in a 4-3 defense.

Then...call Shotgun 5 WR and call a pass play...watch the Defense come out in Dime.

I'm not saying that a defense can't pick up on audibles, etc. But come on man.

Actually...i did this the other night (before knowing this thread was here) and i was on the yard 2. I came up with 5 WR set and the call was QB Draw. I score walking threw the line..
then i called again and same.....the only thing was that the D Line close (wich is ok, since they saw my first play) so i walk outside and score.

I know sometimes the CPU seems to know your play but at the same times you go these..so i donīt know what to think. Maybe it was coz it was All American level. I donīt play on Heisman since the CPU cheats BAD! and the Ratings for the CPU are skyhigh. not realistic at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »