Home

Goaline/Redzone help

This is a discussion on Goaline/Redzone help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Goaline/Redzone help

I don't have a set identity but my most successful offenses have been spread power option teams built around the inside zone run and the various wrinkles you can build off of it.
I have a core playbook with about 30 plays I delete and replace based on my opponent's tendencies and weaknesses. It is almost all Gun or Pistol. I primarily use 11 personnel but my TE is never split out wide. I like them in-line as an extra blocker. My go-to inside the 5 plays are wing formations (in shotgun) like dive and iso. When it comes to passing, I like flat routes with a backdoor component, like a slant or in/dig route behind them if the D sells out on the flats.

With that said, I grew up with option football and it's still my favorite offense to watch. The trick to scoring on goaline is beating the defense at the point of attack and you can do this in several ways.
1. Stretch them horizontally (spread them out)
2. Overpower them at the point of attack
3. Out-flank them with misdirection

I've had great success with the option near the goalline but the timing window is very short- you will need to practice.
#1 is not very likely with a flexbone-based offense unless you've edited it to make it more spread
#2 is easy, just hammer the defense with FB dives and traps. Stuff that will go right at the DTs
#3 is the most difficult and the highest risk. Depending on alignment and player ability, WB Toss can work wonders. Speed sweep, speed option and the WB misdirection have all worked for me but the alignment has to be right. I mostly try to identify what the blocking assignments are. If there is an unblocked defender to the play side, I'll flip the play. Symmetrical formations are your friend. If you run an unbalanced formation and flip, the defense will figure out what you're trying to do.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Goaline/Redzone help

I like the Diamond Formation (Pistol with two backs flanking the QB) in the red zone. Especially if you run triple option, there are a lot of good option plays in there.

The Shotgun Wing formations (where the TE lines up behind the guard) also work well for short yardage running. If you're exclusively going to use it in the red zone you could sub in a sixth offensive lineman in place of the TE for some extra girth.

And finally, even as a spread team I've always liked to have a power formation or two in reserve for when I need it. Sometimes when it's fourth and one I just have to go two tight ends and fullback and pound the rock.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »