Home

Defense ratings do they matter?

This is a discussion on Defense ratings do they matter? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
Banned

jt2000's Arena

OVR: 0
Question Defense ratings do they matter?

I run a 4-2-5/3-3-5 defense in my offline dyansty. My question is If I want to run a man and/or zone type scheme. Do I got with the MC/ZC ratings for the players or go with their OVR ratings? Does the ratings really play a factor on defense? I notice even in man or zone I get beat on corner routes. Does anyone else run into this problem?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Rookie

TarHeelbred33's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Defense ratings do they matter?

Great question. I have noticed using a default PB seems to make players play better than a multiple CPB. Maybe Im just crazy though. But i have done this with 4 OD teams and all of my defenses have improved with the default 43 after using a multiple look CPB for a few seasons

eta...i know that doesn't really have anything to with your question so sorry for posting here but it made me think of it lol
Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

I've noticed that the awareness rating plays a pretty big factor in how well a defender plays.
Someone correct me if I'm off base here, but in my experience guys with high awareness tend to do better, even if they don't necessarily have the best ratings in other areas.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Rookie

TarHeelbred33's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakHusker
I've noticed that the awareness rating plays a pretty big factor in how well a defender plays.
Someone correct me if I'm off base here, but in my experience guys with high awareness tend to do better, even if they don't necessarily have the best ratings in other areas.
I absolutely think you are right. I think awareness and pursuit are both big factors
Old 01-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Banned

jt2000's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelbred33
Great question. I have noticed using a default PB seems to make players play better than a multiple CPB. Maybe Im just crazy though. But i have done this with 4 OD teams and all of my defenses have improved with the default 43 after using a multiple look CPB for a few seasons

eta...i know that doesn't really have anything to with your question so sorry for posting here but it made me think of it lol
No I enjoy your all input! I have noticed that also in my offline. I also notice If you switch your defense style and start recruiting to that style it will change also. I play as VT and after reseaching Bud Foster defense. He runs more a 425 look then a 43. I notice my best 3 of my CB has 99+ Man and low zone so, I tried the theory out and ran a man blitz defense and I notice my defense improved greatly. I am going to recruit more zone players and see how that goes the next coming seasons.

Quote:
True, I also think the AWR rating ties into their MC/ZC rating also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

For corners the only ratings I usually bother to look @ are ZCV, MCV, and PRS. I don't bother w/ AWR usually since I edit all of my guys so that no one has more than 75 AWR (IE. twice a year I'll edit everyone over 75 AWR back down to 75) and w/ the ridiculous way that DBs (and TEs, QBs, and FBs) gain AWR during the season all of my CBs have the max AWR before their JR season anyway.

I only care about PRS (which I think has a very noticeable impact in games) for my #1 and #2 guys since they're the main ones that would press anyway (but I rarely use press coverage). I run zone probably 80% of the time so I obviously value ZCV more than MCV.

My #1 will have the best combo of ZCV/MCV/PRS, regardless of OVR and then #2, nickle, etc. I often start guys w/ lower OVR because of this.

As a bit of a tangent, for DL guys I only look @ (in order) BSH, PMV, FMV (DTs) or FMV then PMV (for DEs) and this has worked well for me. I very often start guys 2/ lower OVRs (especially @ DT) because they're better block shedders and it's definitely noticeable that these guys get to the QB better than the higher OVR guys w/ lower BSH.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Awareness plays a huge factor in terms of the player recognizing what's going on on the field around him. I've seen players with really low awareness fail to recognize a guy running into his zone with the ball until the guy is already past him. On the flip side, I've seen guys with high awareness leave their zone and go to make a tackle on someone who has the ball before they even enter their zone.

On a side note, awareness also plays a huge factor into the sim game also. The players with higher awareness tend to throw less interceptions and pile up more yardage and touchdowns than players with lower awareness.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

Man coverage ratings are meaningless for interior DBs (safeties and 3rd corners). They don't cover the corner route or out route ever, even if their man rating is 95+.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »