Home

New playbook idea! The "Switch" concept offense

This is a discussion on New playbook idea! The "Switch" concept offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
Banned

jt2000's Arena

OVR: 0
Lightbulb New playbook idea! The "Switch" concept offense

After reading some posts about playbook talk over at Utopia. I was thinking of making a new offense called the "Switch" offense. All the passing plays based off the switch concept and build around a fast pace inside/zone/option running game both from under center, pistol, and shotgun. Basically the same plays but, from many different looks Here are some of the example of plays I am talking about and some that are posted that I didn't copy over was shallow crosses, TE Wheel plays. What do you all think?

Last edited by jt2000; 01-16-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: New playbook idea! The "Switch" concept offense

I haven't had much success with the switch concept in this game so I wouldn't be interested in this particular offense. (If someone wants to write up how to use this route concept in the game though, I'd be interested in reading that.)

I do like the idea of similar concepts out of multiple formations. This keeps things relatively simple for the offense while looking complicated to the defense. IMO if you can perfect a handful of concepts and have an answer for anything the defense might try, then there is no need for having a ton of different plays in your playbook.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Switch for me is best against man. But if they press it throws timing off and certain zones can shut it down. I would supplement your offense with it, but an entire switch offense probably wont work. The run and shoot ran a lot of switch concepts, but it was not their offense.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedasnaked
Switch for me is best against man. But if they press it throws timing off and certain zones can shut it down. I would supplement your offense with it, but an entire switch offense probably wont work. The run and shoot ran a lot of switch concepts, but it was not their offense.
This is always the danger in basing your offense around exclusively one concept--no matter what there is always a defensive scheme that can shut it down. You need to include at least one or two other concepts in your playbook to help counter that phenomenon; you can go to Switch as your "default" but if it's not working (because, say, the opposing defense is running a ton of press coverage) you need to be able to change up to something else (maybe Mesh).
Old 01-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLawNYC
This is always the danger in basing your offense around exclusively one concept--no matter what there is always a defensive scheme that can shut it down. You need to include at least one or two other concepts in your playbook to help counter that phenomenon; you can go to Switch as your "default" but if it's not working (because, say, the opposing defense is running a ton of press coverage) you need to be able to change up to something else (maybe Mesh).
There is nothing wrong with basing your offense on this concept. Use it, as Tim said above, as your "default" play. This is the play you want to run all game long if the defense lets you. You need to make sure you build the rest of you playbook though around this play, not just add a handful of other plays you like. Figure out what defenses can stop your Switch pass concept, and fill out your playbook with plays that will work against those defenses. If you can set your playbook up so that these "constraint" plays are your audibles, that really should be the goal.

Urban Meyer, along with many other "spread-to-run" coaches, build their playbook similarly around the "Inside Zone Read". They will run this over and over until the defense cheats to stop it. They will then normally have a sweep or outside zone run to go to if the D-line pinches in, a quick WR screen (bubble or flash screen) if a slot defender cheats inside, and a deep play-action game if the safeties start to cheat up. Everything revolves around the "Inside Zone Read" and works together. If you are going to revolve your offense around the Switch Pass Concept then make sure everything else in your playbook works off of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »