Home

Anyone else think NCAA 14 is still better than Madden 15?

This is a discussion on Anyone else think NCAA 14 is still better than Madden 15? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Anyone else think NCAA 14 is still better than Madden 15?
Yes. 30 78.95%
No. 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Anyone else think NCAA 14 is still better than Madden 15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conception
If Madden 15 is anything like previous versions, I don't consider a game "hard" when I can pick up 80-90 rated in players in free agency for peanuts. In NCAA football, I am stuck with whoever I've got on the roster no matter what. Also, it's simply less fun to play a game that I'll win most of the time where losing means nothing unless its a playoff game.

Madden 2014 didn't have custom playbooks or subs available in dynasty, which pretty much spoiled any chance of me enjoying that game.
So basically college football is harder than the NFL, because those are the same concepts as real life. The Patriots got a top 2 CB in the league last year in Free Agency, where's as OSU couldn't changer their roster after recruting? I don't get why that makes a game harder or easier.

I've never, ever, scored 90 on Madden 15, in 6 minutes quarters. The gameplay is much harder in Madden, and their sliders actually change the game. I haven't had a loss in 4 season in NCAA, with Heisman improved sliders, as a matter of fact, I don't think I've had a game within 30 points of my opponent, ever. Its so easy, I can pick random plays and get to the endzone in 5 plays.

CPU AI is atrocious in NCAA 14, ratings mean almost nothing, I have 99 press CB, who can't press lol. WTF. I've had the #1 or #2 recruiting class all 4 seasons, and the coach boosts only make the game that much more arcade-like.

To me it just sounds like you're biased towards college football in general. Custom Playbooks are Formation subs. . . AKA cheese ball. There's almost no reason to formation sub, unless you're taking advantage of the game. Same with Custom Playbooks.

Since signing players with a certain overall makes a game "easy" and not actual gameplay, then I really don't need to have this argument.

I've turned Ohio University into a powerhouse program, In probably 9 seasons of playing various Dynasties, I've won the championship every time, I've had 1,000 yard GAMES in 7 minute quarters lol. The game is easy as hell.

The Dynasty mode is fun, I have Madden and haven't played in a while, I've been playing NCAA. But the comparison is unmatched, I mean NCAA is far inferior when we talk about makeup of the game, not the differences in college and NFL lol.

Its hard to give the nod to a game that produces a very high amount Caucasian RBs, CBs, and WRs, very unrealistic, same with the dozens upon dozens of black kickers and punters that populate the recruiting boards, just hurts immersion.

Lastly, Don't you LOVE all of the 200 lbs linebackers, the 245 lbs DTs, the 5 star DE that's 5'11 230? Maybe that great Offensive lineman who weighs 260 lbs, and the awesome WRs and CBs that run a 80 speed lol. come on. That game has many flaws bud.

Last edited by BreakingBad2013; 01-27-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Graphics: Madden

Gameplay: Madden

In Madden there are different styles of players, each player you can tell their style, based on how they play. In NCAA, it feels very copy and paste, then its just up to the scheme the user runs. The CPU AI is much better on defense than NCAA 14, and is adaptive. Also in Madden you do not get any Gimmicky coach skills to gain extra attributes for your players, thus making almost everyone at a 6 Star Prestige, dominant. This is realistic. NCAA has a horrible tackling system where people A, just fall over, and B, make shoestring tackles ridiculously often and perfect. Player animations and characteristics favor madden as well. NCAA never got pass trajectory right, LBs jump out of the gym, and QBs make perfect passes while being sacked or even after they are heading to the ground sacked. QBs break a ton of tackles as well.

Presentation: NCAA

Madden and NCAA both lack tremendously when it comes to commentary, but NCAA gets the nod in presentation. Simply because the stadiums look better, fans are louder, and they graphics on the screen are at times, relevant.

Weekly Non-In-Game: Madden

You would assume with all of the recruiting and visits that NCAA would get this easily, however they do not. With Madden's new weekly prep, you can work on specific players or positions while trying to get ready for the next game. You can also pass out XP points from the previous week's earnings, and make your players better based on their performance.

Off-Season: PUSH

I have to give it a pus here. NCAA's off season is lazily put together, but the recruiting and training is fun. My problem with NCAA's off-season is that you have to advance after every little thing, Coach Changes, then Transfer Requests, then Recruiting, then position changes, then workouts, then blah blah blah. They could put transfer requests, recruiting, position changes, and workouts all in the same week, and have one advance. Instead you have to advance like 10 times, which makes no sense. In Madden the Free Agency system is atrocious, its sad how bad this is. But the draft does lend a bright spot here.

This is an unfair argument, especially comparing it to XBOXONE/PS4 versions.

Again, there's a lot that goes into "better" but Madden overall is a better game. NCAA is fun, but its not BETTER.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Again, there's a lot that goes into "better" but Madden overall is a better game. NCAA is fun, but its not BETTER.
We got it.

You like Madden better than NCAA.

However, you forgot the "IMO" in your last statement. So far, in this biased poll on the NCAA forums, you're being outvoted 16:3 so you're in a significant minority over here.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
We got it.

You like Madden better than NCAA.

However, you forgot the "IMO" in your last statement. So far, in this biased poll on the NCAA forums, you're being outvoted 16:3 so you're in a significant minority over here.
Of course I'm the minority in the NCAA thread lol. I love the game, I'm not trying to crap on it. But better? No. Fun game though, hopefully they can get back on track and make a game.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013

To me it just sounds like you're biased towards college football in general. Custom Playbooks are Formation subs. . . AKA cheese ball. There's almost no reason to formation sub, unless you're taking advantage of the game. Same with Custom Playbooks.
Sorry, but formation subs and packages are such an essential part of real football that I cannot respect a game that doesn't include them. Is it cheese when Darren Sproles spots for Sean McCoy? Is it an exploit that Bill Bellichek regularly uses 3-4 halfbacks in his gameplan? Are the Texans cheating by using JJ Watt on offense?

As for difficulty, I played at least 3 seasons each of Madden 12 and Madden 13, and only lost two games the entirety of those seasons. When it comes down to it, either game is very easy for those skilled at playing it, but I find it more challenging to try to take a 3 star team to national championships with mediocre players than it is to take an easily attainable star studded roster to prominence in Madden.

In real life I barely tolerate college football, but NCAA provides a more rewarding experience simply because of the need to constantly replenish your roster and only having one means to do so. That, and I can actually play football like a real team, which means the ability to have players besides your starters in the game.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 1

Objectively, Madden plays better on the field now than NCAA does. Subjectively, I greatly prefer recruiting and the general atmosphere of college football to drafting/free agents and the general atmosphere of the NFL, so I still play NCAA much more than Madden.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #15
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Tough call, objectively. But I'm still on 360 for Madden so I can't comment on the One other than having played it sparingly at a friend's place.

NCAA is more fun for all the usual reasons - greater player turnover, recruiting, shorter seasons/quicker dynasties, better atmosphere, etc. It's easy to keep NCAA fresh for a very long time. Madden, not so much. You find your young QB and young WR earlier in your franchise and ride them for a decade. Pick up cheap running backs that can catch the ball and then put all your money into your line and defense.

Madden is more challenging though, they really improved the passing game IMO, made the timing of routes more important and the sliders allow for plenty of off-target throws from both the human and CPU.

On 360 though, the animations and graphics are rough compared to NCAA IMO. There's a lot of very weird, very sloppy stuff that has me going back to NCAA.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by conception
Sorry, but formation subs and packages are such an essential part of real football that I cannot respect a game that doesn't include them. Is it cheese when Darren Sproles spots for Sean McCoy? Is it an exploit that Bill Bellichek regularly uses 3-4 halfbacks in his gameplan? Are the Texans cheating by using JJ Watt on offense?

As for difficulty, I played at least 3 seasons each of Madden 12 and Madden 13, and only lost two games the entirety of those seasons. When it comes down to it, either game is very easy for those skilled at playing it, but I find it more challenging to try to take a 3 star team to national championships with mediocre players than it is to take an easily attainable star studded roster to prominence in Madden.

In real life I barely tolerate college football, but NCAA provides a more rewarding experience simply because of the need to constantly replenish your roster and only having one means to do so. That, and I can actually play football like a real team, which means the ability to have players besides your starters in the game.
I can sub in Darren Sproles when I wish without going to the depth chart. All I have to do is goto Spell HB, or Dual HB, or I can hit RB and sub him in the specific formation, which will save in your Franchise.

If I want to use 3-4 RBs I can, I just hit RB and sub them in wherever I need them.

As for the J.J Watt on O, that is an anomaly, he's a gifted talent. Madden used to allow things like this, then Champ Bailey became the best WR of all time because people would cheese and put their CBs at WR, and Punters (Brian Moorman) at QB and be successful lol.

I've taken 1 star OU to 3 straight championships, with ease, calling all types of different plays. In Madden, again, I've never scored 70 points lol. In College it seems very simple, with 5 or 6 pick 6's, and a bunch of sacks because QBs run right into their guys without pressure.

I do like the recruiting process, although the recruits are highly flawed, I also find this quite easy, as is Free agency and the draft in Madden.

In Madden I use the player sub quite often, but I don't do it in a cheese ball fashion, as many do. Thats why they took it out of the game, because cheesers took advantage of it, heavily.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »