Home

NCAA 14 Dynasty top 25 is broken

This is a discussion on NCAA 14 Dynasty top 25 is broken within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm Florida State, #1 the entire year with wins @ Georgia, @ #22 Wake, vs. #6 TCU, @ #10 Clemson @ #3 Miami, vs. #2 Florida

End of the year I'm 12-0 come conference championship time and I lose very respectably to #5 Georgia Tech. I look at the top 25 and I miss the championship to #1 California (10-3) and #2 Notre Dame (10-2)

Lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Rookie

martywebb's Arena

Re: NCAA 14 Dynasty top 25 is broken

Neat.

If I might ask, are those teams you won against still rated #3, #2, etc? Or where did they finish?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I am in year 2027 of my dynasty and I have made a few observations about the top 25 rankings.

*Teams ranked high to start the season never drop to far when the lose. Saw a 0-4 LSU team ranked 21st because they started as the #2 ranked school.

*Beating a ranked team does not always weigh as much as it should.

*Conference record and winning a conference game have a great impact.

*It is better to play a B+ schedule then an A+ if you start the season in the top 10.

What the OP is seeing is something I have seen many times in my own dynasty. The way the top 25 gives rankings is not based on how we know it in real life. The game rewards those that start high and those that have a history of success. I bet Cal and Notre Dame have been top 10 teams for more then one season. I bet both have been ranked high all year and never fell more then a couple spots when they lost.

A prime example of weird top 25 rankings is in my dynasty Miami, a team that has been top 10 each year for the past 6 season, started the season 3-4 but was ranked #10. They lost a 5th game and dropped out of the top 25 but was in the "other receiving votes." They improve to 6-5 and are now ranked 22nd going into week 14. They are ranked ahead of 2 schools with a much better record but have not had a winning season in some time.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
*Teams ranked high to start the season never drop to far when the lose. Saw a 0-4 LSU team ranked 21st because they started as the #2 ranked school.
This is generally only if you have good losses. Losing to a ranked team doesn't hurt much. Losing to unranked teams do. I've seen teams plummet from the top 10 to out of the rankings following a bad loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
*Beating a ranked team does not always weigh as much as it should.
Unless our opinions of how much it should weigh are drastically different, I whole heartedly disagree with this one. Beating ranked teams has a big effect on a team's ranking the next week. As I wrote above, losing also doesn't hurt nearly as much.

I'd bet that a lot of teams that you think the polls are favoring because they're traditional powers are losing to a lot of ranked teams. I don't think they're staying ranked because they're Miami. I think they're staying ranked because they're losing to ranked teams instead.

Here's an example from the current poll in week 8 of 2029.

5* Ole Miss (who won the SEC 2 of the last 3 years) dropped 15 spots because they lost to crappy Texas St. 4* Auburn (who has never won an SEC title in my dynasty) only dropped 3 spots because they lost to #1 Tennessee.

3* Illinois entered the top 25 by beating #10 Ohio while 5* (and consistent B1G powerhouse) Ohio dropped 8 spots for losing to an unranked Illinois.

Meanwhile, at the top of the polls, #1 Vanderbilt (who surprisingly enough is consistently one of the top 2-3 teams in the East) picked up their 1st loss and plummeted 9 spots because they lost to an unranked Virginia Tech.
At the same time #4 Arizona State (a 2* school mediocre @ best school in the Pac12-W) only dropped 4 spots w/ their 1st loss because they lost to a ranked Miami team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0040.jpg (618.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (598.5 KB, 157 views)
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
Rookie

Tha_Mac's Arena

OVR: 5

In my dynasty as USC, PSU and OSU are in the same division with 6-2 conf records with PSU 4-1 in the division and OSU is 3-2 in the division. PSU is 8-4 overall and ranked 15th in the coaches poll while OSU is 10-2 and ranked 3rd in the coaches poll.

PSU beat OSU head to head in Oct. 34-31 yet OSU is still going to play for the B1G Championship. Can anyone explain how this is possible?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
Pro

Davon_A_Brown's Arena

#5 Ole Miss lost at home to an unranked UL Lafayette team and dropped to #15, while ULL jumped up to #21.

#3 Stanford went to Washington and lost 35-21. They dropped down to #10 while Washington jumped up from unranked to #14.

#7 Michigan St. lost to unranked Wyoming in OT at home and dropped to #23.

Not sure who's argument that supports just posting some data...
Old 02-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

I agree with jello's observations. Today I saw #6 South Carolina lose to #2 Georgia, but they are still (either #5 or #6, can't remember which), because it was a close loss to a highly ranked team, and #1 Navy suffered a bad loss and plummeted down to around #8 or so.

My biggest issue, that I'm still experiencing the whole time I've been in my dynasty, is that sometimes (maybe 20% of the time) the final rankings are jacked up. Example: at the end of last season, #2 Georgia defeated #1 Navy in the National Championship game, but the final rankings at the "End of Season" still had Navy #1, and Georgia #2. That's a bug any way you slice it. I can't figure out what's triggering/causing it though.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 02-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
I agree with jello's observations. Today I saw #6 South Carolina lose to #2 Georgia, but they are still (either #5 or #6, can't remember which), because it was a close loss to a highly ranked team, and #1 Navy suffered a bad loss and plummeted down to around #8 or so.

My biggest issue, that I'm still experiencing the whole time I've been in my dynasty, is that sometimes (maybe 20% of the time) the final rankings are jacked up. Example: at the end of last season, #2 Georgia defeated #1 Navy in the National Championship game, but the final rankings at the "End of Season" still had Navy #1, and Georgia #2. That's a bug any way you slice it. I can't figure out what's triggering/causing it though.
I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause of the bug, but I have a little explanation of the bug.

What's happening is that the entire poll isn't getting updated and it's just the same as the previous week. If you compare the polls before and after bowl week (which will require 2 saves or for you to write down the ranking before advancing) you can verify this.

1 plus side is that at least I'm 75% sure (it's been a long time since I've tested this) that the correct national champion gets credit (both the school in their info screen and the HC).

I don't know what causes it and I don't think you can simply keep backing out and advancing to end of bowl season until it works. I'm pretty sure that when it's bugged for a season it's bugged.

In the 16 years of my current dynasty it's only happened once. In the 25 years of my previous dynasty I think it only happened 3 times so at least it doesn't seem to happen often.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »