Home

I have a problem with the matchup stick.

This is a discussion on I have a problem with the matchup stick. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
I have a problem with the matchup stick.

I love NCAA but this new matchup stick seems like it will take a lot of skill out of the game. For instance this feature will allow you to just find where the other team is weak and you can call an audible to attack that player. What ever happened to scouting the opposing team to find their weakness? It just seems that this will lead to people who almost totally rely on this feature. Instead of having to actually call good plays and read defenses when passing, players will now just use the "matchup stick" to find out who is "rattled" and just throw/run at them. Plus it is just not realistic to be able to know what sort of mental state the opposing players are in. Now, if this feature just allowed you to see if your players were "rattled/ confident", then it would be more plausible. Just my 2 cents and I hope it isn't as bad as I am envisioning it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: I have a problem with the matchup stick.

two things, one if you don't like the match up stick, did you not like the ratings for players at the match up screen? It's the same thing just on the fly. Second point, while I agree it would be hard to who is composed or rattled it stands to reason that those who step up and make a big play are composed and those that commit stupid plays are rattled, therefore you can kinda tell if he is rattled or composed. I think if you just give the new feature a chance you may like it.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:

2kmaster said:
I love NCAA but this new matchup stick seems like it will take a lot of skill out of the game. For instance this feature will allow you to just find where the other team is weak and you can call an audible to attack that player. What ever happened to scouting the opposing team to find their weakness? It just seems that this will lead to people who almost totally rely on this feature. Instead of having to actually call good plays and read defenses when passing, players will now just use the "matchup stick" to find out who is "rattled" and just throw/run at them. Plus it is just not realistic to be able to know what sort of mental state the opposing players are in. Now, if this feature just allowed you to see if your players were "rattled/ confident", then it would be more plausible. Just my 2 cents and I hope it isn't as bad as I am envisioning it.

I don't think that they would make it so that anytime you throw to a "rattled" cornerback's side that you are gauranteed a big play. I guess you'll have to play a few games before you can really tell though if they took it too far. Although sometimes you can tell (or can assume) when certain players on the opposing team are rattled, I have to agree that it is a little strange to be able to press a button and see what mental states players are in.

As for knowing weak spots, you could just pause the game and look at the opposing team's depth chart in 2004 and have the same result. It's just that now, you'll be able to see some of that info without going into the depth chart menu.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
Rookie

True. True. Just hope it's not something that can be easily abused.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Does the matchup stick just identify whether a player is good or bad, composed or rattled? I mean are there different degrees of goodness/badness, composure,ungluedness?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Yes there are degrees of it. As for abuse, well in a real game (I played high school and even this was teh case there), the players on the field know who's struggling and are good to "pick on" and relay that to the coaches. So as for it being unrealistic we wouldn't know the players mental state on the opposing team, it's not unrealistic because in a real game this is info that can be gleaned from the field. However as was pointed out just because a CB is seemingly rattled does not mean he won't be able to make a play on the ball and it's a guaranteed easy completion if you pick on him. Just more likely is all, and that's realism..
Old 06-20-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I like the idea of the matchup stick-totally realistic or not it adds to the strategy.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 7

I believe I read an interview where they made a point of saying that just because a player is rattled doesn't mean he will get toasted or play completely terrible. And don't forget, you can always use timeouts and give your players a little more composure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »