Home

2k sports has the license for some college teams.

This is a discussion on 2k sports has the license for some college teams. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:30 AM   #9
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: 2k sports has the license for some college teams.

Copy:We won't see another college-only sports video game for a good 4-5 years, if that.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
Rookie

Zaky29's Arena

I'm not optimistic about the return of NCAA Football in the near future, or ever, even, but I think it would be interesting to see 2K take a crack at the college football games. If it's anything like NFL 2K5, I think it would be pretty good.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
MVP

HARLEE23's Arena

OVR: 13

I think they only got those license for the NBA my career mode.
NCAAF- Ohio State
NCAAB- UK
Wrestling Fan

The Ace- Coaching Career of Jordan James
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Rookie

theepicman115's Arena

They got the licenses for basketball.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #13
Rookie

izzy0244's Arena

OVR: 1

Yes we know it is for basketball the article I posted clearly says that. I was just saying this could be the next step in seeing a college football game with developers now getting the license of teams and not having to worry about a lawsuit again. Not saying it will happen but I am saying this is the next step in another one being able to come back
Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

We will need to see what the scope of these licenses ends up being before we know whether they have any impact on the possible return of a college-sports game. Most likely this doesn't mean anything.

The legal issues that led to the death of NCAA Football had nothing to do with the schools themselves--the universities have always been, and are still, free to license their logos, uniforms, etc. as they please--and the problem stems from the use of player likenesses. Thus, if the licenses in NBA 2K16 are used (as I suspect they will be) to give your fictitious "create-a-player" a college career with fictitious and random teammates and coaches, but using authentic college uniforms and names, there is nothing new here and we're not actually any closer to an NCAA-focused game than before.

After the O'Bannon case, the law now holds that collegiate athletes need to be compensated for their portrayals in things like video games. NCAA rules currently prohibit that type of compensation, making it impossible for a company to legally make a video game depicting current players. Uless the NCAA changes its rules, we won't be seeing the type of college video game we're used to anytime soon.

I suppose one possible effect of even a fictitious NBA 2k college career would be if the mode is a big hit with gamers and proves to 2K and EA that there is indeed a strong market for a customizable game using authentic schools but fictitious and random players. Such a game would likely be the fastest road to a new college game and would avoid the legal pitfalls created by the O'Bannon litigation--the developers just need to see that such a game would sell.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy0244
Could this be the next step in seeing another college football game but by 2k sports and not ea or both trying to release a game? Your feedback?
http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/07/16...ar-in-nba-2k16
This is strictly for NBA 2K16 MyCareer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
Rookie

You will not see an College football game by 2k.......because it won't make financial sense. If you piggy back and share resources with an NFL licensed game like EA did with Madden and NCAA...fine. However, building a college football game without an NFL counterpart.......will lose money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »