Home

Defense Can't Stop Anybody

This is a discussion on Defense Can't Stop Anybody within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Defense Can't Stop Anybody

From the OP's description, I assumed he was playing ncaa 12. I never played 14, but it seems the problems with that game are the same. I remember 12 had a really bad case of psychic dbs, where dbs would know the ball was coming without even looking at it.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0

There is nothig you can ever say to me that will make me believe that you can play solid defense in NCAA 14. The defensive side of the ball is more broken than any other game in the series. No strategy or slider tweaks can fix your AI defenders leaving WR's wide open or allow you to cover the option properly. Worst NCAA of all time imo.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #11
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
There is nothig you can ever say to me that will make me believe that you can play solid defense in NCAA 14. The defensive side of the ball is more broken than any other game in the series. No strategy or slider tweaks can fix your AI defenders leaving WR's wide open or allow you to cover the option properly. Worst NCAA of all time imo.
I see people complain about not being good @ defense all the time, but in '14 my most dominant teams have always been built around a dominating defense.
FWIW, I play on Heisman with sliders heavily skewed in the CPU's direction.

Attached are some pics from my tracking spreadsheet. The 1st is from my current season where my D is smothering foes. We're only allowing 11.5 PPG, and that # was inflated by giving up a season high 26 pts in our last game. Prior to that we were only allowing 9.4 PPG. Hell, look @ my players of the game for that season. In half of the games, the POTG is a defensive guy!

The other pics just show my records and PPG/ Points allowed per game for a bunch of my seasons. Out of the 11 seasons I show here, we allowed < 20 PPG 7 times and never allowed more than 23.3 PPG (and that resulted in a 10-4 season when I had by far the most talented team in the country).

As for your specific examples, my DBs rarely leave guys wide open (which should be obvious simply from the PPG #s I showed). My only explanation for this is that I have always played zone predominately because that's what I've always preferred (probably 80% of the time) and most people who seem to have issues play mostly man.
As far as the option goes, those are the easiest teams for me to stop. My D absolutely smothers most option teams. This might again be due to by preference for zone defenses as my guys always have their eyes in the backfield since they're in zone so they're very quick to react to the HB or QB running the ball.

My defenses are almost always in the top 5 for PPG, total yds and rushing yds, and usually in the top 20 for passing D.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture1.PNG (46.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: png Capture5.PNG (45.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: png Capture6.PNG (26.2 KB, 179 views)
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 10-13-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2015, 02:36 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I see people complain about not being good @ defense all the time, but in '14 my most dominant teams have always been built around a dominating defense.
FWIW, I play on Heisman with sliders heavily skewed in the CPU's direction.

Attached are some pics from my tracking spreadsheet. The 1st is from my current season where my D is smothering foes. We're only allowing 11.5 PPG, and that # was inflated by giving up a season high 26 pts in our last game. Prior to that we were only allowing 9.4 PPG. Hell, look @ my players of the game for that season. In half of the games, the POTG is a defensive guy!

The other pics just show my records and PPG/ Points allowed per game for a bunch of my seasons. Out of the 11 seasons I show here, we allowed < 20 PPG 7 times and never allowed more than 23.3 PPG (and that resulted in a 10-4 season when I had by far the most talented team in the country).

As for your specific examples, my DBs rarely leave guys wide open (which should be obvious simply from the PPG #s I showed). My only explanation for this is that I have always played zone predominately because that's what I've always preferred (probably 80% of the time) and most people who seem to have issues play mostly man.
As far as the option goes, those are the easiest teams for me to stop. My D absolutely smothers most option teams. This might again be due to by preference for zone defenses as my guys always have their eyes in the backfield since they're in zone so they're very quick to react to the HB or QB running the ball.

My defenses are almost always in the top 5 for PPG, total yds and rushing yds, and usually in the top 20 for passing D.
There's always one person saying the game is fine. Not buying it one bit lol. The game is so broken that's it's mind blowing. So many flaws and glitches. Tried several slider sets. The game is programmed to dumb down human defense. That's how EA brings "difficulty" to the game.

The way EA has programmed defending the option is the defense either takes away the QB or the RB completely. Just earlier I had 4 guys in the backfield and they all hit the RB. Not realistic at all.

Pass coverages are totally broken as well. So much wrong that there's no point in going over it all lol.

EA has no concept of gap protection with DL. They often hit OL head up.

Defenders do not clog running lanes. They attack blockers rather than space.

It's widely agreed upon that the defense is screwed up. Would love to see your gameplay and see how it changes for you without any cheese play. As I said before, I've tried every slider set on this site and they all result in the same flawed gameplay.

Last edited by xCoachDx; 10-14-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #13
MVP

whughes's Arena

My problem hasn't ever been points per game given up. It's always been yards against. Just yesterday in my Michigan dynasty (year 7) the Michigan State qb's stat line was 21/50 for 422yds, 1td 3int. And that's pretty normal. My only issue with that is him throwing for over 400 yards on only 20 completions. That's not very realistic unless you're Aaron Rodgers, and this kid definitely wasn't. I always seem to give up a ton of passing yards, under 60 rushing yards, and like 17 points per game. Even when they don't turn the ball over to me 3 times they always get a ton of yards but no points. I don't understand it

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 10-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
My problem hasn't ever been points per game given up. It's always been yards against. Just yesterday in my Michigan dynasty (year 7) the Michigan State qb's stat line was 21/50 for 422yds, 1td 3int. And that's pretty normal. My only issue with that is him throwing for over 400 yards on only 20 completions. That's not very realistic unless you're Aaron Rodgers, and this kid definitely wasn't. I always seem to give up a ton of passing yards, under 60 rushing yards, and like 17 points per game. Even when they don't turn the ball over to me 3 times they always get a ton of yards but no points. I don't understand it
I often get this as well and it happens because the CPU will try to get in a power run formation to cap off the drive, but I don't have as much problem stopping that. The problem is against spread passing due to my AI's inability to cover Inside to Outside routes. They'll frequently get big gains until they are inside the 10, then I just have to stuff their run/quick pass.

The teams that do a solid job of scoring on me deep in my territory are the ones that stay in a spread the entire drive. Can't count how many times I've sent 8 players and a simple read option scores. Drives me insane.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Attached is my rankings for my current season (2035). Firstly note that, due to my recruiting restrictions, my team is only an "A" OVR with a "B+" offense, so it's not like I'm playing w/ a 99/99/99 rated team.

My passing D is only ranked 54th (I'm usually closer to the top 20), but this is mainly due to teams trailing in the 2nd half all season and having to pass the ball) but still we're only allowing 213 passing YPG, which I think is pretty respectable.

I checked my schedule and we haven't allowed even 300 passing yards in a game this year, let alone close to 400+. Here are the passing yards we've allowed so far this year:
Pitt: 288
BGSU: 148
Oreg: 144
ND: 239
PSU: 105
Nebr: 293
Ind: 263
MSU: 228

EDIT:
I see that you had an issue w/ MSU's QB having 20 YPC. I also attached the QB stats for the 2 guys that passed for the most yards against me. They averaged 9.2 and 10.6 YPC against me. It's rare that my guys get beaten for big gains. I think this is mainly due to the solid zone defense that they play. It's very rare for my safeties to get beaten over the top (I'm usually in at least a cover 2). I hear people complain all the time about out routes and especially corner routes, but my guys cover both of those routes (and curls) very well most of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0621.jpg (604.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0623.jpg (601.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0624.jpg (595.9 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by jello1717; 10-14-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #16
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
Can't count how many times I've sent 8 players and a simple read option scores. Drives me insane.
FWIW, I never send 8 guys. I don't even have a single play in my PB that sends 8 guys and I only have 2 or 3 that send 7. When I do blitz (which I consider sending 5 or 6 even though technically sending 4 with my 3-4 D is blitzing) it's usually a zone blitz. That's by far my favorite aspect of the 3-4. I've tried 4-3, 4-2-5, and 3-3-5, but their zone blitzes (and zone defenses in general) are extremely boring. They're almost all the same coverage, they just blitz different guys.

In the 3-4, the zones and zone blitzes have tremendous variety. IE. for a cover 2 (non-blitz) in non-3-4 they're almost always cover 2, 2 flat zones, and 3 hook zones. In the 3-4, these are just the cover 2s available:
(they all have 2 deep obviously)
2 flats, 3 hooks
2 flats, 3 hooks, 1 spy
2 flats, 4 hooks
2 flats, 2 buzzes, 2 hooks
2 flats, 2 buzzes, 1 hook
2 flats, 1 buzz, 2 hooks
5 hooks

There are 7 different coverage schemes just for a simple cover 2 zone in the 3-4. There are even more coverage schemes available for cover 2 zone blitzes and I won't even mention the different cover 3 looks (3-4 ever has a 3 deep man coverage play).

By mixing up these defenses I'm able to keep the offense off balance in both their run and pass game. The 3-4 zone blitzes (even the ones that only bring 4 guys) are very effective at stopping the read option.

EDIT:
Here's another awesome thing about the 3-4 which makes it especially nice against the option. Even though it has the same 7 guys in the box as the 4-3, it's alignment is much more like a 5-2 than a 3-4 because in most 3-4 formations the OLBs line up at the LOS. Even better, they line up outside the OTs which puts them in great position to attack the read option.

Last edited by jello1717; 10-14-2015 at 12:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »