Home

Defense Can't Stop Anybody

This is a discussion on Defense Can't Stop Anybody within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #17
MVP

whughes's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Defense Can't Stop Anybody

Well looking at your last graphic there I'm wondering if it's my sliders. Because I'm only allowing 216.3passing yards per game but yet I'm ranked #110 in pass defense right now

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 10-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #18
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Well looking at your last graphic there I'm wondering if it's my sliders. Because I'm only allowing 216.3passing yards per game but yet I'm ranked #110 in pass defense right now
You originally said
Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Just yesterday in my Michigan dynasty (year 7) the Michigan State qb's stat line was 21/50 for 422yds, 1td 3int. And that's pretty normal.
If giving up 400+ passing yards is pretty normal, then how are you only allowing 216 passing YPG? It would take 2 games of only allowing 100 passing yards to offset that 400 yards to keep an average of 200.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 10-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
FWIW, I never send 8 guys. I don't even have a single play in my PB that sends 8 guys and I only have 2 or 3 that send 7. When I do blitz (which I consider sending 5 or 6 even though technically sending 4 with my 3-4 D is blitzing) it's usually a zone blitz. That's by far my favorite aspect of the 3-4. I've tried 4-3, 4-2-5, and 3-3-5, but their zone blitzes (and zone defenses in general) are extremely boring. They're almost all the same coverage, they just blitz different guys.

In the 3-4, the zones and zone blitzes have tremendous variety. IE. for a cover 2 (non-blitz) in non-3-4 they're almost always cover 2, 2 flat zones, and 3 hook zones. In the 3-4, these are just the cover 2s available:
(they all have 2 deep obviously)
2 flats, 3 hooks
2 flats, 3 hooks, 1 spy
2 flats, 4 hooks
2 flats, 2 buzzes, 2 hooks
2 flats, 2 buzzes, 1 hook
2 flats, 1 buzz, 2 hooks
5 hooks

There are 7 different coverage schemes just for a simple cover 2 zone in the 3-4. There are even more coverage schemes available for cover 2 zone blitzes and I won't even mention the different cover 3 looks (3-4 ever has a 3 deep man coverage play).

By mixing up these defenses I'm able to keep the offense off balance in both their run and pass game. The 3-4 zone blitzes (even the ones that only bring 4 guys) are very effective at stopping the read option.

EDIT:
Here's another awesome thing about the 3-4 which makes it especially nice against the option. Even though it has the same 7 guys in the box as the 4-3, it's alignment is much more like a 5-2 than a 3-4 because in most 3-4 formations the OLBs line up at the LOS. Even better, they line up outside the OTs which puts them in great position to attack the read option.
That has no relevance to my comment.. lol. I'm saying that I can send 8 against it and it often still breaks free simply because the AI almost always leaves an option open because it isn't programmed to be defender properly.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #20
MVP

As if I needed any more proof that this game is garbage, the cpu just put in their DE at QB for some reason, he went 4-4 including a 40 yard fade on the money. Lol

Not only that, the game I'm playing now, the cpu is 19-19. If the cpu knows it won't complete the pass, he scrambles immediately. Like doesn't even complete his drop. Just takes of running. Watched the replay of every completed pass, have seen an AI DB stop moving and let his man run in front of him 13 times. Defense is complete garbage. Lol you can't possibly defend that fact.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #21
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
As if I needed any more proof that this game is garbage, the cpu just put in their DE at QB for some reason, he went 4-4 including a 40 yard fade on the money. Lol

Not only that, the game I'm playing now, the cpu is 19-19. If the cpu knows it won't complete the pass, he scrambles immediately. Like doesn't even complete his drop. Just takes of running. Watched the replay of every completed pass, have seen an AI DB stop moving and let his man run in front of him 13 times. Defense is complete garbage. Lol you can't possibly defend that fact.
It just sounds like you need some better sliders. I think the game will be much more enjoyable to you then.

Attached is what QBs have done against me in my current season.

The average comp % against me is 70%.
Only 1 team has completed more than 80% against me.
Half of the teams have completed less than 69% against me.
No team has more than 11 yards/completion against me.
The average yards/completion is only 9.5.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (11.5 KB, 167 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
It just sounds like you need some better sliders. I think the game will be much more enjoyable to you then.

Attached is what QBs have done against me in my current season.

The average comp % against me is 70%.
Only 1 team has completed more than 80% against me.
Half of the teams have completed less than 69% against me.
No team has more than 11 yards/completion against me.
The average yards/completion is only 9.5.
Have tried every slider set on this site. Each one essentially feels the same and has the same issues. DB's let their man cut across their face, LB's allow drags and slants underneath them, heck even some zones do not cover the area they are supposed to. Have seen flat and hook zone follow go routes. Human defense is broken.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #23
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
Have tried every slider set on this site. Each one essentially feels the same and has the same issues. DB's let their man cut across their face, LB's allow drags and slants underneath them, heck even some zones do not cover the area they are supposed to. Have seen flat and hook zone follow go routes. Human defense is broken.
I've provided stats showing that defense can most certainly be played in this game. I'm not saying that you guys aren't struggling, I'm just saying that it sounds like you think it's impossible to play D so I will now provide video evidence.

I made a short video of my pass defense. I did a "play now" game with my 91 OVR Wolverines against 91 OVR Okie St. I picked them since they're an evenly matched air raid team. The only change I made was to jack their pass/run ratio to the max of 85 since I'm showing how I defend the pass.

As an added bonus you can see how my defense reacts to a few read options (another issue for CoachD). In 2 cases, even though my team is playing straight up pass D, their QB gets tackled for a loss. In the 3rd, the QB only gains 1 yard and fails to convert a 3rd and 2.

What I did was to play 1 quarter where I punted the ball on 1st down every time so that all I did was play D. Because of this, 1 quarter is more like 1 half of defense.

[0:00]The 1st play is a read option that ends up as a safety (OSU chose to kickoff so I punted on the 1st play and they ended up pinned deep). CoachD, notice how my guys reacted to the ball. It sounds like if you were playing, everyone would've taken the HB, leaving the QB to run free. On this play, only the read guy (LE) took the HB (like he's supposed to). The CB smacked the QB in the mouth instead of also following the HB.

[0:50]The next drive is a 3 and out w/ 1 completion for 3 yds.

[2:22]Next is another 3 and out w/ 1 completion for 10 yds. This one ends after the QB fails to pick up 2 yds on 3rd down on an option keeper (he only gains 1 yd). On this one the NB reacts and takes down the QB after 1 yd. That happened on one of the rare man defenses I called.

[4:03]On the next drive, the QB gets it going completing 6/7 passes for a TD. He starts with a couple of WR screens and the big play is on a 4 verts when I'm in a cover 2 (which is gonna be a big gain in real life too). The TD was my fault. I should've covered the guy that caught the ball, but I decided to cover some pesky field turf instead.

[7:21]The 5th drive is another 3 and out w/ the QB completing 3/3 for only 8 yds.

[8:56]6th drive is another 3 and out w/ QB going 1/2 for 11 yds.
On 1st down there's another read option with the QB once again getting tackled for a loss. On this one the RE took the HB (like he's supposed to) while my CPU controlled ROLB scraped (like he's supposed to) and smacked the QB in the backfield.
Here's a video of the option defense.

On the 2nd play the QB has 5 full seconds (IE. an eternity) to find a receiver but has to throw it out of bounds because everyone's blanketed. Look at how beautifully my CB plays the out route on the right (the receiver whose head the ball sails over).

[10:42]The final drive ends w/ a nice INT by my zone defending CB.

IN SUMMARY:
7 drives
1 safety
1 turnover
4 3 and outs
1 TD drive
(That looks like pretty dominant defense to me)
17 passes
13 completions (4 of which were HB/WR screens) for 110 yds
7 team carries (4 of which were read options) for -1 yard

Attached are the passing/rushing stats for OSU in the game (half). He completed 76% of his passes for only 8.4 YPC.
On the ground, he ran 3 read options, 2 for a loss, and was sacked once (just once because I usually play coverage rather than blitz).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.jpg (628.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0635.jpg (600.5 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by jello1717; 10-15-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #24
MVP

Quote:
I've provided stats showing that defense can most certainly be played in this game. I'm not saying that you guys aren't struggling, I'm just saying that it sounds like you think it's impossible to play D so I will now provide video evidence.

I made a short video of my pass defense. I did a "play now" game with my 91 OVR Wolverines against 91 OVR Okie St. I picked them since they're an evenly matched air raid team. The only change I made was to jack their pass/run ratio to the max of 85 since I'm showing how I defend the pass.

As an added bonus you can see how my defense reacts to a few read options (another issue for CoachD). In 2 cases, even though my team is playing straight up pass D, their QB gets tackled for a loss. In the 3rd, the QB only gains 1 yard and fails to convert a 3rd and 2.

What I did was to play 1 quarter where I punted the ball on 1st down every time so that all I did was play D. Because of this, 1 quarter is more like 1 half of defense.

[0:00]The 1st play is a read option that ends up as a safety (OSU chose to kickoff so I punted on the 1st play and they ended up pinned deep). CoachD, notice how my guys reacted to the ball. It sounds like if you were playing, everyone would've taken the HB, leaving the QB to run free. On this play, only the read guy (LE) took the HB (like he's supposed to). The CB smacked the QB in the mouth instead of also following the HB.

[0:50]The next drive is a 3 and out w/ 1 completion for 3 yds.

[2:22]Next is another 3 and out w/ 1 completion for 10 yds. This one ends after the QB fails to pick up 2 yds on 3rd down on an option keeper (he only gains 1 yd). On this one the NB reacts and takes down the QB after 1 yd. That happened on one of the rare man defenses I called.

[4:03]On the next drive, the QB gets it going completing 6/7 passes for a TD. He starts with a couple of WR screens and the big play is on a 4 verts when I'm in a cover 2 (which is gonna be a big gain in real life too). The TD was my fault. I should've covered the guy that caught the ball, but I decided to cover some pesky field turf instead.

[7:21]The 5th drive is another 3 and out w/ the QB completing 3/3 for only 8 yds.

[8:56]6th drive is another 3 and out w/ QB going 1/2 for 11 yds.
On 1st down there's another read option with the QB once again getting tackled for a loss. On this one the RE took the HB (like he's supposed to) while my CPU controlled ROLB scraped (like he's supposed to) and smacked the QB in the backfield.
Here's a video of the option defense.

On the 2nd play the QB has 5 full seconds (IE. an eternity) to find a receiver but has to throw it out of bounds because everyone's blanketed. Look at how beautifully my CB plays the out route on the right (the receiver whose head the ball sails over).

[10:42]The final drive ends w/ a nice INT by my zone defending CB.

IN SUMMARY:
7 drives
1 safety
1 turnover
4 3 and outs
1 TD drive
(That looks like pretty dominant defense to me)
17 passes
13 completions (4 of which were HB/WR screens) for 110 yds
7 team carries (4 of which were read options) for -1 yard

Attached are the passing/rushing stats for OSU in the game (half). He completed 76% of his passes for only 8.4 YPC.
On the ground, he ran 3 read options, 2 for a loss, and was sacked once (just once because I usually play coverage rather than blitz).
Sigh.. alright. Here we go.

Your option tackles were all from the second level. Have constant instances where there are multiple defenders close to hitting the QB as he fakes the hand off and they all run to the RB. Oh and that 3rd and 2? Definitely should have been a first. Lol dude looked like a blind man running.

They went 11-14, with an incompletion coming as a man was open directly in front of the QB lol. Your OLB's covered hooks better than I usually see. But I didn't see the route combinations that give me problems. (Outs and Corners for example). I played Oklahoma State last night and beat them 48-7. Idk. Nothing that makes me think this game isn't broken. Especially the pass that looked to hit you directly in the face because the game didn't let you attempt an interception. Ball Hawk ruined Human Pass Coverage.

What sliders do you use? Will check them out. Couldn't hurt I guess.

Last edited by xCoachDx; 10-16-2015 at 01:04 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »