Home

Tested idea on more realistic dynasty stats using the editor

This is a discussion on Tested idea on more realistic dynasty stats using the editor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Tested idea on more realistic dynasty stats using the editor

First off, thank you to the wonderful people who created the editor. Such an amazing tool.

I was disappointed with how in dynasty mode it seemed every year there might be 1 or 2 quarterbacks over 4,000 yards and how over half the quarterbacks were completing an abysmal 55% or less (and so many completing not even half). So I set about finding a solution through the editor. I played around with different ideas and simmed a bunch of seasons to figure out how to get what I thought were more realistic stats. I tried doing a bunch of different things; I raised all QB throw accuracy by X amount, raise awareness by X amount, etc. Here is what I found works best.
  • Set all Quarterback awareness to 88
  • Set all defensive player awareness to 77
  • For all coaches with sim off run/pass ratio over 30, add 5 to it (increases amount of passing)
I did the first two steps at the beginning of every season. What I am finding is I am getting about 5-10 quarterbacks throwing over 4,000 yards, with occasionally one throwing over 5,000. Completion percentages are much better with very few completing less than half their passes, but still you might see only a two or three completing 68% or more. (Other attempts resulted in the requisite yards, but with 10 guys hitting 70% or more).

Anyways, I hope that helps some of y'all!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Tested idea on more realistic dynasty stats using the editor

Isn't the problem actually that the sim engine fails to produce enough variation in Plays per Game?

For instance, Baylor had the highest Off YPG average last season, but ran a ton more plays than Marshall. Marshall also had a high YPG average, but the Yards per Play average was through the roof.

My guess is that, in your test of the sim engine, the Yards per Play (probably because of Yards per Pass Play) is really high, maybe over 8 yds per Play?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 1

You make a good point OSUPiper. Teams just don't run enough plays in the sim engine to account for the hurry-up offenses. Even teams that have coaches with aggressive no-huddle offenses run roughly the same amount of plays as conservative coaches.

However, if the number of plays being run isn't changeable, upping some of the QB attributes and lowering some defensive attributes like threeandahalfstars mentions seems to be the best combination to get raw numbers like scoring and yardage correct.

I have a broader range of QB awareness in my dynasty, usually keep it in the 78-90 range so some teams will still have poor QB play, but agree that lowering defensive attributes is key to try and get sim stats as close to accurate as possible.

These changes do seem to cause simulations to average more yards per play (most QBs are in 7-9 yards per attempt with a couple up around 10 and most RBs average 5-7 yards per carry), but that number has to rise if you want the yardage total and scoring to increase.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

Is Defensive player Awareness at 77 low enough? What other stats do you lower on defense?
Old 09-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUPiper
Is Defensive player Awareness at 77 low enough? What other stats do you lower on defense?
I'm not saying it is perfect, just sharing what I did...

I sorted just defensive players in the editor and the did some tiers based on OVR and position. For example, for all defenders that were less than an 85 overall, I'd subtract like 5-7 points from their awareness (this way the superstars are still really good). If they were 75 or less OVR, I'd subtract 5-7 more from AWR. If they were 70 or less, I'd subtract 10-12 more points from AWR.

I did the same kind of thing in tiers for DL/LB, lowering tackling, block shedding, and play recognition by a few points at each of those tiers. For DBs, I lowered MCV, ZCV, and play recognition.

My theory was that this will create a bigger gap in talent from stars to decent players to poor players. If they are 85+, their OVR pretty much stays put. If they are around 75-80 OVR, they'll drop a few points. If they are 70 or less overall, they'll drop like 6-8 points in OVR with the changes. This way there are better chances for power schools to stay strong (since most of their players are 80+) and the smaller conferences get hurt a little more (since most of their players will be less than 80 OVR).

There are still upsets, but not quite as many as previously. Plus, my sim stats seem to be pretty decent, in the first year I had around 10 guys throw for 4,000 or more yards and most QBs were in the 57-65% completions, with 4 or 5 up around 70%. Around 10-12 schools averaged 40+ PPG and 500+ YPG.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

I love that idea. How do you work that into each successive season? Do you only create tiers of incoming freshmen?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Pro

Yes, I edit the incoming recruits as well before they even get to the roster.

I have actually made a couple of "real" recruiting classes for 2015 and 2016 (you can see the Class of 2016 file here).

For the most part, I just edit down players outside the top 500 using that tier system so there are still some incoming studs at 75+ or 80+, but about 40% of the players are 60 OVR or less (basically, backups, roster depth, or players that need a few seasons of development to be any good).

Instead of sorting by OVR though, I sort them by recruit rank so there are still some gems and busts.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
Just started!

OVR: 0

Instead of sorting by OVR though, I sort them by recruit rank so there are still some gems and busts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »