Home

3-3-5 Stack Defensive Breakdown for NCAA 2005

This is a discussion on 3-3-5 Stack Defensive Breakdown for NCAA 2005 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 06-30-2004, 03:21 PM   #17
Banned

TwelveozPlaya21's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 3-3-5 Stack Defensive Breakdown for NCAA 2005

I am glad EA added this formations this year. How many teams in the NCAA use 3-3-stack/4-2-5 as there main formation???
Old 06-30-2004, 03:41 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 26

3-3-5: New Mexico, Memphis use it. I'm sure there are others.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

byu im assuming since someone said cougarback.

kind of typical because UNM's old def. coord. left to coach at BYU and probably started it there.

I'll look for others. (For EA to have put this defense in the game, im sure more than 3 teams use it)
Old 06-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #20
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

Yep, it's played with the personnel grouping of three down linemen, three linebackers, two cornerbacks, one free safety, and two strong safety/rover type players which in those diagrams is the D and N players. The 3-3-5 is an off shoot of the old 5-3 defense and has more in common with it than it does the 3-4. The primary difference between the 5-3 and 3-3 is the two defensive ends in the 5-3 are replaced with strong safety type players. With the stemming that you can do with the 3-3 a defensive coordinatory can make it look like a 4-3, 4-4, 5-3, 6-1, or even the 46. There are tons of things you could do with this system. You'll often hear high school coaches refer to this defense as the 3-5-3 because the two strong safeties are usually closer to the line of scrimmage as if they were linebackers. As for it not being able to contain athletic qb's I'd have to disagree with that. OU really got after Brad Smith of Missouri when they used the 3-3 defense.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:53 PM   #21
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:

jwb0581 said:
Quote:

PhanTuhC said:
I've also saw a new defense formation in the IGN movie. Formation 4-2-5. I can't wait to try these new defensive plays since im a defensive guy.

Wasn't last year's "nickel" package a 4-2-5 alignment?

Yes and no. The nickel is just the what a 4-3 team runs on third and long. They take out a LB and replace him with a CB, so it is 4 DL, 2, LB, 3 CB, and 2 S.
The 4-2-5 is a base formation that incorporates 4 DL, 2 LB, 2 CB, 2 OLB/S hybrids, and 1 FS. Oklahoma State, Colorado (last year), Missouri, and others run this as their BASE defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2004, 05:21 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

My high school runs the 4-2-5 we call it the nickle even though it is not a true nickle. we have the guys that are you're normal inside linebackers playing at the inside backer spots and then we have the guys who can run and defend the pass but can also bring the pain playing our SS and nickle spots. our SS and Ni play at LB depth but further outside than a normal outside linebacker. then we have our corners playing on the WR and we have a free safety roaming or the top usually on the strong side of the field about 10-13 yards off the ball and he roams.

It was a really good defense for us last year and i think we can do really well with it this year with most of our defensive starters returning.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #23
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:

RAFERALSTON4MVP said:
My high school runs the 4-2-5 we call it the nickle even though it is not a true nickle. we have the guys that are you're normal inside linebackers playing at the inside backer spots and then we have the guys who can run and defend the pass but can also bring the pain playing our SS and nickle spots. our SS and Ni play at LB depth but further outside than a normal outside linebacker. then we have our corners playing on the WR and we have a free safety roaming or the top usually on the strong side of the field about 10-13 yards off the ball and he roams.

It was a really good defense for us last year and i think we can do really well with it this year with most of our defensive starters returning.

We ran that my sophomore year of high school, but we called it "Stack". It is very similar to the 4-4 only with more athletic inverts at the OLB position. We switched to a 4-3 my final two years, but two years ago they switched back to the stack and went to the state championship game last year.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:13 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

3-3-5: New Mexico, Memphis use it. I'm sure there are others

WVU uses it as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »