Home

The Death Penalty

This is a discussion on The Death Penalty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: The Death Penalty

Quote:

TheBoredGuy said:
Quote:

DemitriMaximoffX said:
For all intents and purposes, Alabama deserved the death penalty for massive violations, but due to the prestige of the program they likely dodged getting shut down.

I believe I read an article in which a representative of the NCAA stated that the penalty given to SMU will never be given to another school because of the repercussions of said penalty. They just didn't realize how much of an effect it would have on the football program for years and years to come.

If that's true, that is truly unfortunate. So many coaches and programs seem to have such a lack of integrity and self-policing ability that the only thing that could keep them even halfway in check is to have something like the 'Death Penalty' looming as a consequence for letting things get too out of control.

IMO, SMU got what they deserved. There's been a few other programs that probably should've faced the same punishment but didn't, unfortunately. Big time college football will never be truly clean, but it should be cleaner than it seems to be now. It's not just the coaches and players to blame, either. It starts at the top when the AD's and chancellor's don't take enough corrective action on their own when they realize things are happening that shouldn't. I find it hard to believe they can be so truly clueless as to what's happening right under their noses.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:

IMO, SMU got what they deserved.

You probably could say that back then. However, in retrospect, no team deserves a peanalty like that.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:58 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

You will find that most SMU fans still blame their lack of success on the death penalty from way back then. I find it hard to believe that SMU can't field a competitive team anymore. They're located in Dallas so recruiting shouldn't be too tough. They have a nice new stadium, or upgraded at least (I can't remember).

I think the death penalty is too harsh, but I don't think that's what is holding back SMU today.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 26

As part of their death penalty the administration put recruiting restrictions on their football program until last season. So basically, they had restrictions as tough as an army or navy until this past season.

Bama should have gotten the death penalty, but the NCAA has no nuts anymore.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #13
Rookie

Razorbacker's Arena

OVR: 4

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned in this thread is that SMU was VERY, VERY good, a top 10 team competing for national championships BEFORE the death penalty.

They were able to get that good because boosters were paying players. Stars included running backs Eric Dickerson and Craig James, dubbed THe Pony Express. Both rushed for over 1000 yards their senior year (maybe junior year too).

Arkansas, SMU and Texas were the top teams then in the SWC.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:13 PM   #14
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

The Cheating going on then in the SWC maakes the SEC look like a bunch of choir boys. The stigma and reputation was a large reason why there is no longer an SWC.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

bkrich83 said:
The Cheating going on then in the SWC maakes the SEC look like a bunch of choir boys. The stigma and reputation was a large reason why there is no longer an SWC.

That, and they could not find any network that wanted to sign a bigtime deal with them. Lack of fan support outside of Texas is what folded the SWC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2004, 01:10 PM   #16
Rookie

Icebergz's Arena

OVR: 5

So how do you guys think the "Death Penalty " will be implemented into the game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »