Home

The time has come EA: SCRAP the current Ratings system!

This is a discussion on The time has come EA: SCRAP the current Ratings system! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #25
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: The time has come EA: SCRAP the current Ratings system!

Quote:

umd said:
Quote:

jgully said:
Quote:

AuburnAlumni said:
What I was referring to was the fact that as a whole the EA ratings system is outdated, inconsistent, and inadequate compared to the advances in other areas.

Outdated? Seems like it's pretty much universal for most football games to have a similar ratings system.

Inconsistent? EA gave you an editor for this reason, if you don't agree with what they put then you're free to change to please yourself.

Inadequate? Please

No matter what they made the ratings, no matter what form, there would always be some people crying over them. You can complain all you want about how the whole system needs an overhaul, or you could just edit them yourself because you should know that most of the ratings are personal opinions.

not looking at the overall picture are we?

You're overlooking one important fact about ratings and how they affect the game -- online play.

Speed especially plays a huge role in how the game can be played online. Sure you can import the rosters but only the names carry over online not the ratings. So you can't just "edit them yourself".

Don't under estimate the number of guys who only play in online leagues. you might be surprised. Online ratings change the whole dynamic of the game when there's another human across the line of scrimmage -- and ratings and the imbalance in them play a HUGE factor online.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2004, 07:47 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

umd said:
Quote:

jgully said:
Quote:

AuburnAlumni said:
What I was referring to was the fact that as a whole the EA ratings system is outdated, inconsistent, and inadequate compared to the advances in other areas.

Outdated? Seems like it's pretty much universal for most football games to have a similar ratings system.

Inconsistent? EA gave you an editor for this reason, if you don't agree with what they put then you're free to change to please yourself.

Inadequate? Please

No matter what they made the ratings, no matter what form, there would always be some people crying over them. You can complain all you want about how the whole system needs an overhaul, or you could just edit them yourself because you should know that most of the ratings are personal opinions.

not looking at the overall picture are we?

You're overlooking one important fact about ratings and how they affect the game -- online play.

Speed especially plays a huge role in how the game can be played online. Sure you can import the rosters but only the names carry over online not the ratings. So you can't just "edit them yourself".

Don't under estimate the number of guys who only play in online leagues. you might be surprised. Online ratings change the whole dynamic of the game when there's another human across the line of scrimmage -- and ratings and the imbalance in them play a HUGE factor online.

Even if you don't play online, the ratings can not be edited during a dynasty. You are still going to recruit players that require speed, acc, and agility to be stars. In other words, it still sucks. Editing player ratings only goes as far as your first few years of a dynasty, unless your an exhibition player of course.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:26 PM   #27
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

I understand your complaints, but EA, man they work extremely hard on this franchise as it is, it's their pride and joy and it shows. Put yourself in their shoes for once.

This is a video game, lets not forget that and I think EA is by far the best when it comes to making a football game.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

While we're at it, I think QB passing ratings need to be re-done. IMO, there's much more to a QB's passing ability than just THP and THA. I see two ways of doing it:

1) Adopt Front Office Football's system. For those that don't know, QBs have several ratings, including screen (behind the LOS), short (0-10 yards), medium (11-20 yards), long (21-30 yards) and deep (31+) passing ability. i think there's also an accuracy and a yards per completion rating, but it's been so long that I can't recall. IMO, this is a very solid system, and could be coupled with an arm strength rating (perhaps one rating for sheer distance, and one for velocity) to create a very accurate QB rating system. After all, some QBs excel at short, dink and dunk passes, and are mediocre at the rest. Some are solid at short ranges, but absolutely deadly in the middle-yardage distances (11-20 yards). Some guys only have solid, not spectacular, arm strength, but have great deep balls, while some guys with cannons have serious trouble with accuracy on deep balls.

2) The other option is more complex. When QBs attend camps and combines such as the Elite 11 QB camp and the Nike Combines, they are asked to make a variety of throws. Those throws basically cover all the possible routes a receiver can run, including out routes at various distances, in routes, post routes, etc etc. I'm sure some of you have read reports on real-life QB recruits who can, "make all the throws." A QB COULD theoretically be given a specific ability rating for ALL of these throws, as well as a couple of varying arm strength ratings.

These ideas, particularly #2, would probably have to wait for PS3. BUT, what do y'all think? I also think some sort of "coverage" rating needs to be included for LBs and DBs, a rating that would indicate their skill and fundamentals in coverage technique.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:35 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

i agree man. it frustrates me to no end when they screw up a players speed rating. especially one as visible as williams. here are his measureables...ran his 40s for times of 4.56 with the wind and 4.62 against the wind. He had a 37-inch vertical jump, a 4.34 short shuttle and .

so what do we have? 4.5 40 (i'll be nice) college, no higher than an 88 speed. madden's you're looking at no more than an 85.

4.34 short shuttle is really nothing to write home about at the wideout position. so his acceleration/juking ability should actually hurt him compared to other wideouts.

the 37 inch vert is pretty damn good. downright scary since he's just under 6'5". we all know he has "sick" hands. so he should be going over the top and making catches in crowds often.

his frame, jumping, and hands are what make him so scary. not his average(for a wideout) to slightly above average straight line speed, and definately not his below average quickness.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 17

I agree, from what I have seen he is more physically imposing and athletically gifted. Rather than an outstanding athlete with a garden variety frame.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:02 AM   #31
Mog
Rookie

OVR: 1

In regard to quarterback speed... Quarterbacks are given lower speed ratings than a comparable player at a different position because the defensive AI cannot adequately deal with a scrambling quarterback. As a controlling measure, quarterback recruits are given lower speed ratings than their counterparts.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »