Home

Early Impressions

This is a discussion on Early Impressions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2004, 09:41 PM   #65
Me?

shon's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Early Impressions

I have the xbox version and am having major slowdown. Trying to run the option is almost impossible. Out of 6 times trying to run the triple option 4 times my quarterback gets stuck behind the fb running up the middle.

Outside of the slowdown I like the game. Using Arkansas I tried to throw across my body and threw a very ugly and short pass. The menus and overall presentation feels more polished.

I like the game except for the major slowdown. I might trade it in for the ps2 version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #66
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

Few really early thoughts........

Playing my first game(USC @ Notre Dame, I am ND on AA)

-Running is very difficult, my longest out of 10 or so runs is probably a 3 yard FB Dive(he even had to break a tackle to get that).......i broke out a 12 yard run up the middle while typing this.

-New stuff is a little overwhelming at first. I find myself more worried about seeing the Matchup Stick stuff or the crowd level than checking the defense or assignments. I completely forgot about the Big Hit button until I was writing this.

-Very hard to rattle a good upperclass player. I picked Matt Linard(or whatever his name is!) twice and he started 1 for 6 in that span, his green bar went down about 1/5 of the way from all the way full and he was still Composed.

-During Timeouts you get to choose a group of players you want to motivate, this increases their composure and such.

-already seen one tip that was caught, my CB tipped the ball up and their reciever caught it and went in for the TD.

-player movement seems 10 times better than last year. hard to explain it, I want to say it's faster, but it may just be more fluid. I've seen a few miricle cuts immediately after catching a pass, but overall it feels much better and realistic.

-like someone mentioned earlier, the recieving animations take over early and the WR seems to warp to where he needs to be, this doesn't mean the DB can't knock the ball down. but you can think you're in good position to block the WR from the ball and he will pretty much go through you to get in better position.

-CPU ran a trick play on me(HB Pass). i ran one back against them and got an INT

-CPU actually calls audibles so the crowd pumping may have some effect on them.

biggest things to me:

-i saw nothing to convince me that running up the middle is any bit improved from last year(although I was playing against one of the best defenses in the game, an A+ overall....)

-the tips are nice, but will probably force us to set the INT slider down to the very least again

-player movement is great.

off to enjoy a few more games and then check out Dynasty for a while.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 6

When I first popped it in and started playing, I wasn't too overwhelmed. However, that was stupid of me to try and make a conclusion like that 5 minutes in. I haven't played but 2 or 3 games but I can tell that this game ROCKS.

Like someone said earlier, i thought HFA would be fluff as well, but you really notice a difference when you play at places like Gainesville, Knoxville, Ann Arbor, Columbus, Baton Rouge, Tallahassee, etc. I played FSU vs UF and I had Chris Leak rattled beyond belief. 6 sacks (1 huge hit resulted in a fumble) and he was missing some wide open receivers.

The running game is very fun, you have to work to get yards. I can see where passing is going to take a LOT of work. On 3rd and longs it is hard to get the ball in anywhere against 5 or 6 DBs. The thing i'm loving most is playing defense. The hard hits are flat out brutal and amazing to watch. But most of all, defending the passing game is a blast. The deep throws have HEIGHT on this year and you have plenty of time to select the db and react to the ball. I got 3 INTs during the game. One came on a slant that I swatted away from the receiver and I intercepted on the deflection. Another was just a badly thrown ball that Leak threw directly to my safety who was sitting back in the zone. I still get beat on long balls which is more a result of calling bad defenses and pulling the backs closer to the line.

Animations are a bit beefed up. I've seen quite a few different ones: the RB putting his hand on the ground as he changed direction quickly, receivers that took a huge hit at the sideline and tiptoed the sideline off-balance for the TD, and the big hits are just brutal and LOUD.

The game does not have any groundbreaking changes by any means, but for me the game is just flat out fun.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #68
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

If there is slowdown why wasn't it evident in the full game movie that was in another thread? Watched the whole movie and I didn't see any....
Old 07-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 1

I am new to this franchise..i normally buy Madden only..but this game is off the hook...i have the XBOX version and I don't seem to have any slowdown...It runs fine to me...The running the passing seems to be true to College form..I can't wait to try online..but i can't be on there tonight...the in-laws are in town...
Old 07-12-2004, 10:14 PM   #70
Pro

OVR: 11

Runs nice and smooth on my xbox..bought a new one a few months ago...old one was dying. EA servers are down now...im assuming last minute fixes.Game is not officially out till tomorrow i believe.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 21

Hey can anyone tell me if the conference scheduals change up from year to year.
Like if you are playing in the big ten you dont play the same big ten teams year after year only alternating home away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2004, 10:30 PM   #72
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

Triggerfish said:
Runs nice and smooth on my xbox..bought a new one a few months ago...old one was dying. EA servers are down now...im assuming last minute fixes.Game is not officially out till tomorrow i believe.

Which drive do you have?

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=17216

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »