Home

Coach mode vs player lock coach mode

This is a discussion on Coach mode vs player lock coach mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
The QB will indeed pitch the ball on his own, so if you're running a speed option/load option/etc you're fine. He won't however hand the ball off on any option that involves a mesh (IE. read option) unless you player lock on someone else.

To be safe, you should always player lock on an O-lineman for all options.

I player lock on someone other than the QB on every pass play and the HB on run plays. Obviously on someone other than QB/HB on options. Just been preferring auto-pass coach mode with player lock much more than true coach mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NoleFan; 07-10-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Coach mode vs player lock coach mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
I player lock on someone other than the QB on every pass pay and the HB on run plays. Obviously on someone other than QB/HB on options. Just been preferring auto-pass coach mode with player lock much more than true coach mode.

I always have scramblers so I almost never lock when I run pass plays because if I do my QB will make 1 read and then run, which I HATE.

Every now and then I'll lock on a pass play to give him the option to scramble, but I probably do that less than 3 times per game.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
I always have scramblers so I almost never lock when I run pass plays because if I do my QB will make 1 read and then run, which I HATE.

Every now and then I'll lock on a pass play to give him the option to scramble, but I probably do that less than 3 times per game.

Tommy Woodson is balanced for me and he does scramble some. I'd not want to take that away from him. From previous experience, I Won't recruit a scrambler to avoid that. I run Akron's spread which sees read option get get called so I opt for balanced QBs.

Last edited by NoleFan; 09-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
The QB will indeed pitch the ball on his own, so if you're running a speed option/load option/etc you're fine. He won't however hand the ball off on any option that involves a mesh (IE. read option) unless you player lock on someone else.

To be safe, you should always player lock on an O-lineman for all options.
I'll have to check my settings then because my qb won't pitch.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #21
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I'll have to check my settings then because my qb won't pitch.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure what options would affect whether or not the QB pitches the ball. I thought it might be having auto passing off so I tried it quickly with this turned off. I pushed "A" to snap the ball on a power option and then just let the CPU take care of everything else and it pitched the ball just fine. You can tell by the dark blue circle (which signifies the player I'm "controlling") that I'm not player locked onto anyone.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #22
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Here are some off the top of my head:

True Coach Mode (TCM):
  • Selected in game setup, changing "Controls" from "regular" to "coach"
  • Uses sideways broadcast cam
  • You can't control any players pre- or post-snap
  • You can only hot route 1 guy (RMLB in 3-4, RE in 4-3 I believe) as you can't switch players presnap
  • Once the ball is snapped, you have no control over anyone
  • On punts/kicks you simply press A to snap the ball and then the kick/punt executes automatically, and perfectly every time

AutoPass Coach Mode (APCM):
  • Uses "regular" controls instead of coach (must have "autopass" turned on in settings)
  • Uses any of the 4 normal camera angles instead of broadcast
  • Can switch to any player presnap. This allows you to hot route anyone on defense
  • **Once the ball is snapped, you can control anyone, if you so choose (see below)
  • You can punt/kick yourself if you choose
  • Must player lock someone besides the QB on option plays
  • If you don't player lock, then your QB will never scramble
**This is a big advantage over TCM. There are some plays (probably all in the pistol) that are either HB handoffs, or options, or PA passes where the mesh point gets screwed up and the HB hits the QBs biceps instead of his hands which causes the QB to not handoff (if he was supposed to) nor run with it (if it was an option keeper) nor pass (if it was a PA) and will just stand there, waiting to be tackled. In TCM you're helpless and have to just sit there until your buggy QB gets sacked. In APCM you can take control of the QB and try to run for some yards.

Also, on entirely too many HB screens the QB will just back pedal until he's sacked, even when he had a wide open lane to pass to the uncovered HB. Because of that, I reserve the right to throw it to the HB if he's gonna be sacked. As long as I only touch the HB's pass button the CPU will still control the HB after the catch.

The same if often true with WR mid screens (not so much on bubbles) so I also reserve the right to pass to the WR on mid screens and then let the CPU take over after the catch.

TCM kicking is effing HORRIBLE as the kicks are perfect every time and, as long as you're in range, your kicker will be 100% on FGs. Whether doing TCM or APCM I STRONGLY suggest supersimming kicks (go to supersim, RB, and then "watch next play", RB). The kicker misses a realistic number of FGs when doing this, especially if you reduce every incoming kicker's FGA by 20 like I do.
I have a quick question if you don't mind, was this for all kickers our just your own?

"If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" -Tuco
Old 10-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #23
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Gunfighter
I have a quick question if you don't mind, was this for all kickers our just your own?

Just my own. If you edit the KAC for all kickers, then they'd be horrible in their simmed games which would be 92-100% of their games.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #24
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Just my own. If you edit the KAC for all kickers, then they'd be horrible in their simmed games which would be 92-100% of their games.
Ah, I see, that makes total sense! Thanks for the quick response.

"If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" -Tuco

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »