Home

Baylor style offense

This is a discussion on Baylor style offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Baylor style offense

That's pretty much what I have. I took out any slant, stick, smash or 4 vert to avoid some cheese

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #10
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKRDIBL
I have been trying to create a playbook to emulate the read option attack that Baylor runs. I know I will have issues with the spreads, which I can live with. I thought in previous games, on a play action pass, you were able to hand the ball off if you held down X (PS3). I did some testing last night, and no matter what I tried, I could not hand the ball off on a play action.

1) is there a way to hand the ball off?
2) if not, is there any read option pass type plays that give you the option. I looked into the Veer play set, and still couldn't get it to work properly.

If anyone knows anything that would be great, it is fun running just a spread style run and everything play action, just was hoping there was a way to hand the ball off, to help when the CPU already knows what play you are running.

Thanks in advance
1. No
2. No. The game only gives you the option to hand off to the hb or fb on read/triple option plays. All play action plays are play action Pass plays. I always set my line to aggressive block on PAs to get a little more time. It works depending on my line ratings imo....... I also tend to call slants when they know my run play.

My bad... Had this queued up earlier. I see you got it under control.

Last edited by Mjphillips; 01-06-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

There is an NCAA game(s?) on the 360 where you could hand the ball off on PA passes. It's probably not '13, but it's likely '12 or '11. On those you could turn many PA passes (I think it was mainly PA read plays) into RPO (run/pass option) plays.

Here are some caveats off the top of my head:
  1. It's not NCAA '14 which is a very superior game IMO
  2. I seem to remember that the HB run part of it wasn't terribly successful
  3. Which ever game(s) it is, it doesn't have '14's VASTLY improved option offense and the spread option wasn't nearly as effective. That being said, I was still able to make it work and was incredibly successful in my OD with it
  4. If I remember correctly, the QB run part of the option was probably pretty cheesy as the CPU knows that it's a PA pass so they don't react to the QB running (who is technically scrambling) until he's past the LOS

On the plus side, RPOs are possible in this version of the game and you can also create your own double reverse play, which you can't do in '14. To do this, find a trips SG formation w/ the HB on the trips side and call a slot option. Presnap motion the pitch guy to the other side of the formation. Then snap the ball, give to the HB (who'll run away from the former trips side) and quickly pitch to the WR (who'll be running back towards the former trips side). Again, it's not terribly successful, but it sure as hell is fun.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
There is an NCAA game(s?) on the 360 where you could hand the ball off on PA passes. It's probably not '13, but it's likely '12 or '11. On those you could turn many PA passes (I think it was mainly PA read plays) into RPO (run/pass option) plays.

Here are some caveats off the top of my head:
  1. It's not NCAA '14 which is a very superior game IMO
  2. I seem to remember that the HB run part of it wasn't terribly successful
  3. Which ever game(s) it is, it doesn't have '14's VASTLY improved option offense and the spread option wasn't nearly as effective. That being said, I was still able to make it work and was incredibly successful in my OD with it
  4. If I remember correctly, the QB run part of the option was probably pretty cheesy as the CPU knows that it's a PA pass so they don't react to the QB running (who is technically scrambling) until he's past the LOS

On the plus side, RPOs are possible in this version of the game and you can also create your own double reverse play, which you can't do in '14. To do this, find a trips SG formation w/ the HB on the trips side and call a slot option. Presnap motion the pitch guy to the other side of the formation. Then snap the ball, give to the HB (who'll run away from the former trips side) and quickly pitch to the WR (who'll be running back towards the former trips side). Again, it's not terribly successful, but it sure as hell is fun.
Thanks for this. I recall going it before also. Just not sure what version. Was shocked to find they took it out of the game. Was hoping I was just doing it wrong.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 3

Yeah, it's in '13, but was removed with a patch that added the uniform store i believe.
That PA Read Bubble screen from SG Trips Weak was pretty cool play.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #14
Pro

volwalker's Arena

If EA ever makes the game again, they have to realize that most spread offenses are built on the PA Read in some form.

They must add those concepts in the next one or why bother?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #15
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
If EA ever makes the game again, they have to realize that most spread offenses are built on the PA Read in some form.

They must add those concepts in the next one or why bother?
I hope so also. If you're going to take baby steps by adding some of the veer plays. And some run and shoot. If it's next Gen. Hopefully they can go all out. Had in more route reading. Better play action mechanics. More audibles etc. The college game is so unique and diverse. And every year they seem to capture one great part of it. While leaving us all wondering what happened to great features that worked before. Hopefully they can tie it all into one bow.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #16
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKRDIBL
I hope so also. If you're going to take baby steps by adding some of the veer plays. And some run and shoot. If it's next Gen. Hopefully they can go all out. Had in more route reading. Better play action mechanics. More audibles etc. The college game is so unique and diverse. And every year they seem to capture one great part of it. While leaving us all wondering what happened to great features that worked before. Hopefully they can tie it all into one bow.

14 did have some R&S concepts but according to some of the R&S experts on here have said that they are not fully implemented, like most things. We can only hope they nail down the XnOs for the next game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »