Home

how to choose the proper recruit

This is a discussion on how to choose the proper recruit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Rookie

sXeInYoFace's Arena

OVR: 3
how to choose the proper recruit

first off, i play ncaa13 because i think it plays better than ncaa14. also, i usually play with notre dame because, besides my wife and kids, they are my true love. i also know that playing as notre dame, i can probably have my pick of the litter. with that being said and i dont think it would differ much from either game, how do you choose which recruits to recruit? the recruits you pick in the preseason are not scouted yet so you dont know everything about them, all you are given is the 40 time, squat, and i forget the other one. i know obviously if you need a possession receiver or a pass rushing defensive end, that is what you look for. but do you just look for the highest rated possession receiver, or do you delve into the recruiting abyss looking for a guy with a better 40 time and more strength? weight doesnt matter much, at least in ncaa13, and height has some advantage ( i think? ) but not much. so basically, who do you pick?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: how to choose the proper recruit

It really depends. I pick guys that fit my system and what I need. I'm not worried about the best overall QB, I'll gladly sacrafice a bit in overall to get someone a bit more mobile than a dedicated pocket passer. At the same time, I don't want a scrambling QB because I want someone who can hit the passes with accuracy.

WR varies. If many of mine are 6'0" I may base my selections on height to get a jump ball guy. If they're all possession guys I'll recruit a speedster to stretch the field.

So essentially, I recruit to what exactly fits my needs as a team. I delve into ht, wt, strength, and 40 time when needed.

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Pro

I usually recruit highest rated and adapt my system(i.e. call more option plays with a scrambling QB, call more stretch plays with a speed RB, but nothing too drastic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

Cheese2121's Arena

OVR: 1

I tend to be of the same mindset as SilverBullet. I recruit to my scheme. I tend to favor a power run game and a run stuffing defense. So for example on defense, I might look at defensive tackles who are bigger and stronger and will clog up running lanes as opposed to a pure pass rusher.

Sometimes I will also recruit strategically regionally. What I mean by that is; take for example I am Eastern Michigan, I don't want the top players in the state leaving for other schools. Granted I also impose regional restrictions on myself but I digress.

In summary, I recruit to my scheme, I find guys who will fit roles. That being said, there will always be those game changers who come along and you are going to make your offense the center point of that. It is a blend of all of this for me. Wow that was a rambling response....my apologies.

XBL Gamer Tag: MrCheese2121 (feel free to add/message me!)

Currently Playing:
NCAA '12 (Xbox 360)
Old 01-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Disclaimer: I'm talking about NCAA '14, but you said it shouldn't matter.

As I general rule I ignore the OVR rating (for both recruits and players) and look at their individual skills. I recruit guys that have the skills that I covet.

IE. I only recruit scrambling type QBs so I look @ ACC, SPD, CAR, THP, THA, rushing skills in that order.
For HBs, I always try to have a power back w/ a high TRK and BTK and I'll have a speed back w/ high ACC, SPD, ELU, JKM.
For WRs I try to just get balanced guys since they progress in all of their skills. I'll get a possession guy if he's really good, but I hate that they'll never ever get any faster than they were as a HS player.
TEs I go for receiving guys w/ good height, CTH, CIT, SPD, ACC.
OL must have good RBK and then I'll look for PBK as a distant 2nd.

My DL all must have high BSH. For DEs my 2nd rating is FMV and for DTs it's PMV.
I play a 3-4 so I have a pass rush OLB and a cover OLB.
The pass rusher needs TKL, BSH, PMV or FMV, ACC, and then coverage and other LB skills.
The cover guy needs TKL, ZCV, ACC, SPD, MCV, and then the other LB skills.
My MLBs NEED high TKL above all else. Then I look for a balance of block shedding, coverage, and other LB skills. SPD is nice, but certainly not a must.
CBs need ZCV, then MCV, PRS if they'll play on the outside, and then SPD, ACC.
safeties must have TKL, ZCV and if they have SPD that's nice too. SPD is obviously more important for the FS than the SS.

I watch supersims of my kicks and punts and I subtract 20 KAC from all incoming kickers so I greatly prefer my kickers to be either accurate or balanced (if you're manually kicking FGs you can just get the strongest leg possible and even if he had 40 KAC you'd never, ever miss a FG). I've found accurate punters (or whatever the opposite of power is called) to be much better at coffin cornering punts.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

Its interesting to hear about different strategies we have. Personally, I run a very simple offense which almost never changes. It is defferent plays with different effects, but require the same skill set from players. I ALWAYS, get a QB who is very mobile, generally speaking, this isnt an issue when you are ranked highly, because the scramblers are also sufficient passers. My starting HB is always Speed oriented, and I always have a power RB backup. My offense is simple, it consists of a lot of isos, stretches, read options, and triple options out of the I, offset I, and strong shotgun formations. I need speedy players in the backfield, and huge linemen up front. My line does very little pulling, so speed isnt really a factor there.

TLDR- Speed Kills

Now, there have been occasions where I would come into a new school that didnt have a scrambler. Then I would sort of have a transition year where I would go about 50 50 pass/run with a mix of my own run plays, and the previos teams passing plays. I would do this until I was able to get a good, mobile QB who we could start running options with.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Rookie

RyanXGrindle's Arena

I find it very interesting that people change their system based on what they recruit. Obviously this happens in real life, where the coach must adapt to the talent he has, but I've never done it that way in NCAA. The only time I change my offense to fit my players is when I take over at a new school and they don't have anyone close to ready to start who fits my offense. I am like a lot of these guys, I always have a mobile QB (not always a scrambler). Even when I am at a smaller school I go after in state guys that fit with what I want to do, and sometimes you do have to somewhat ignore the OVR rating. If its 20-30 points maybe I will think about changing up my play calls a bit to get the better guy in, but if I have 75 QB that fits my system and an 85-90 that doesn't I have gone with the 75 more then once. As a side note, has anyone ever had a kid that even though he was rated much less then the starter, came in and just had "it"? It's only happened to me a couple of times, but when it does, it is special. Won a national championship with a true freshman that I kept in even after a 99 OVR senior came back from an injury. Kid was on fire.
NHL: Boston Bruins
Old 01-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
Rookie

binga30's Arena

I'm a bit different to most here, I play as USC a lot and tend to have pick of the bunch also. I play with the speed threshold at its highest so that a 95 speed guy will always outrun an 85 speed guy.

Therefore I tend to favor recruits with speed. I usually only target a guy if I am in his top 5 and if there are multiple targets I'll go for ones with higher speed rating usually, unless he is a DT where I would look for strength and power.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »