Home

Making dynasty mode feel more organic

This is a discussion on Making dynasty mode feel more organic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Making dynasty mode feel more organic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
As far as renaming players, I've had a thought myself:

A lot of people rename their guys, myself included. The hardest part of that is thinking of names. Some people find high schoolers in the area and use those names. I have decided another route: street names.

I'm going to start using street names from my hometown, current location, college, work area, etc. Anything that fits. It gives me a large bank of names to use, and some people will end up with decently unique names such as Lexington, Bouquet, Soledad, Western, Haven, Olney, Etc. I'm looking forward to implementing it this offseason.
Here's a site I've used from time to time when I'm trying to generate some test names for work. I've used it for a couple other things too but can't remember what exactly...
http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/
Old 02-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #34
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Here is a few things I have done.

*Create a storyline to follow. I have done my own version of the "Death Penalty", players kicked off the team, and other random ideas.

*Change play books based on OC/DC at that time.

*Recruit different types of players not just to fit one system.

*Currently I am using UAB but I made the roster all redshirt seniors for the first year so I had to start over with nothing. 2 years in I have won 6 games.

*The best thing I have done is find ways to make gameplay a challenge to turn those 12-13 win seasons each year into 7 win seasons because each game can be a challenge.

The key is to be creative and not accept just playing the game, give it life.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #35
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

I posted this in the House Rules Ideas thread. A big part of the dynasty being organic is imposing our own rules that didn't seem to make it into the game, things to make it realistic.

A big issue is injuries, and everyone knows it. No one gets hurt! I'm in my 4th season with Sonoma State (5th overall) and had my first season ending injury. I've had only one last more than a week otherwise.

Now, I already have a house rule for minor injuries:
Mild Concussion - player must sit out the next week (in game they only miss the current game. This rule accounts for "concussion protocol"). The 2nd week after is a coin flip to see if they have recovered...so its a toss up like in real life.

Minor Strains/etc that cause them out for game- must be used very sparingly next game (IE starting RB limited to 3-5 carries). This simulates a limited use while they continue recovery.

The new program I am considering implementing is this:
Its a dynamic ratings system. Essentially, certain ratings are impacted by touches/performance.

For example, if a running back has 20+ touches in the game, I do the following:
-5 INJURY
-5 STAMINA
-1 SPEED
-2 STRENGTH

If he had 10-20 touches, the ratings are impacted less. A bye week allows rehab of skills, to a certain extent.

The idea here is to mimic real life, in that a season wears on a guy. Most guys are running on fumes by the end of the year in real life. If I lean on a running back for 20+ carries a game, he's going to start feeling it. Whether that is through less strength, less energy, or more susceptible to injury.

I'm working on a system for different positions. I hope to have it ready in time for my next season (2018). If interested, I'll fill you guys in with what I come up with. Likely a spreadsheet.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #36

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
I posted this in the House Rules Ideas thread. A big part of the dynasty being organic is imposing our own rules that didn't seem to make it into the game, things to make it realistic.

A big issue is injuries, and everyone knows it. No one gets hurt! I'm in my 4th season with Sonoma State (5th overall) and had my first season ending injury. I've had only one last more than a week otherwise.

Mild Concussion - player must sit out the next week (in game they only miss the current game. This rule accounts for "concussion protocol"). The 2nd week after is a coin flip to see if they have recovered...so its a toss up like in real life.

Minor Strains/etc that cause them out for game- must be used very sparingly next game (IE starting RB limited to 3-5 carries). This simulates a limited use while they continue recovery.

Its a dynamic ratings system. Essentially, certain ratings are impacted by touches/performance.

-5 INJURY
-5 STAMINA
-1 SPEED
-2 STRENGTH

If he had 10-20 touches, the ratings are impacted less. A bye week allows rehab of skills, to a certain extent.

The idea here is to mimic real life, in that a season wears on a guy. Most guys are running on fumes by the end of the year in real life. If I lean on a running back for 20+ carries a game, he's going to start feeling it. Whether that is through less strength, less energy, or more susceptible to injury.

I'm working on a system for different positions. I hope to have it ready in time for my next season (2018). If interested, I'll fill you guys in with what I come up with. Likely a spreadsheet.
Love the concussion and minor strain rules. Makes perfect sense.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #37
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Quote:

-5 INJURY
-5 STAMINA
-1 SPEED
-2 STRENGTH

I too was growing tired of the lack of injuries. I tried lowing injury ratings but that didn't help much and took to much time. While looking for a way to improve the play of the computer I found turning off fatigue solved my problems. I got a challenge from the computer without messing with sliders which can have positive and negative impacts on the game. I also saw the number of injuries increase. In 10 full seasons I had just 2 players miss more then aw week. In 4 seasons after turning fatigue off I averaged 4 players missing more then 5 games a season, plus had guys missing a game or two almost weekly.

I am not trying to plug anything here. I reached the point of wanting to trade this game in until I found this gem. It does have a flaw in that you want see fatigue subs in the games you play but if you use formation subs for your team not an issue for me, all simmed games are not impacted just played games. It saved the game for me.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #38
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I too was growing tired of the lack of injuries. I tried lowing injury ratings but that didn't help much and took to much time. While looking for a way to improve the play of the computer I found turning off fatigue solved my problems. I got a challenge from the computer without messing with sliders which can have positive and negative impacts on the game. I also saw the number of injuries increase. In 10 full seasons I had just 2 players miss more then aw week. In 4 seasons after turning fatigue off I averaged 4 players missing more then 5 games a season, plus had guys missing a game or two almost weekly.

I am not trying to plug anything here. I reached the point of wanting to trade this game in until I found this gem. It does have a flaw in that you want see fatigue subs in the games you play but if you use formation subs for your team not an issue for me, all simmed games are not impacted just played games. It saved the game for me.
That's pretty interesting. I would have thought fatigue would lead to even less injuries...if that's possible lol

Major Boise State fan
Old 02-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #39
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Quote:
That's pretty interesting. I would have thought fatigue would lead to even less injuries...if that's possible lol
I currently have 2 starters that are missing their 10th of my UAB dynasty. I have another dynasty file that is in year 2032 that has 4 guys out for the season and 2 more have missed 11 games.

It seems that players get injured when they get "tired" but get subbed out before they get injured. With fatigue on there is a unversal fatigue that causes the CPU to "get tired" the the second half of games allowing you to comeback or pull way ahead. Turning HFA off helps but is limited. Fatigue set to off seems to prevent the CPU from hitting that wall and opens the game up to more injuries. Simmed games still see normal results and injuries but the played games are where the lack of injuries shows up. I tried changing up auto subs and coach sub sliders but I could never get more then 1 multiple game injury per season. I know am lucky to not lose key players. I have found it works better the deeper you get into the game where the original players have cycled out.

Try making a title run when you lose your top back, SS, best 2 linebackers for the season then have a few other starters miss games. Opens up a whole new game. I even threw out my house rules that I have used for the series for more then 8 years.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #40
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Something I'll be doing in my new dynasty is creating 10 recruits a year, using various random generators, and tracking their careers.

1st year:

Center Sandy Shore from Lincoln,Nebraska, 4 star

Guard Demetrius "the General" MacArthur from Kansas City, Missouri, 5 star

HB Jewel Parr from Modesto, California, 3 star

DE Rich Dollar from Tucson, Arizona, 4 star

MLB Rudolph Berryman from Baltimore, Maryland, 5 star

QB Rocky "Stallone" Gallagher from Columbus, Ohio, 3 star

FB Curt Bull from New Orleans, LA, 3 star

DT Maxwell Reigns from Huntington, NY, 3 star

WR Freeman Givens from Nashville, Tennessee, 4 star

QB Waldo "Where's Waldo" Lynn from Atlanta Georgia, 5 star

Yankees: #AllRise

Last edited by Gronk4M13; 02-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »