Home

College Players Set to Get Their Share of a $60 Million Settlement with EA

This is a discussion on College Players Set to Get Their Share of a $60 Million Settlement with EA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #33
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: College Players Set to Get Their Share of a $60 Million Settlement with EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
I hope you people realize that an NCAA game will never happen again. They would have to pay each player individually, meaning players from the power 5 conference colleges would get paid way more than the mid majors/ lower tiered schools. This will mess up recruiting terribly and put the mid majors/ lower schools at a huge disadvantage making college sports less competitive. If a top 10 quarterback recruit out of high school wants to go to Tulsa because its his hometown college, he wouldnt do it if they paid athletes because hed make way more money if he went to oklahoma or alabama. and also if a quarterback becomes a star at a college like Tulsa hed transfer the next season to an oklahoma or alabama so hed make way more money on endorsements and game license fees. Also if they try to even it out so that each player makes the same then the power 5 conference players would reject it asap because they feel they deserve way more money than the lower mid major players.
Unless a player is on the cover of Madden, every player- from Tom Brady to the Patriots practice squad QB, gets the same compensation from EA through the NFLPA.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #34
Just started!

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigmike
They also run themselves ragged having to burn the candle at both ends with training, practice, film study, actual school study, classes and trying to have a normal social life. They're working far beyond a full time job on top of going to this school, while their coaches make anywhere from six-to-seven figures on the backs of their hard work -- not to mention the lack of a penalty when the coach they signed on to play for bolts for a better job because these kids excelled on the field. Great, they get the education, but how many are being shoehorned into false degrees that do nothing for them in the future? This says nothing of the schools committing academic fraud to keep their players on the field. When you're not learning anything because your courses aren't worth a crap, the scholarship money means little. If the coach's' success is worth, collectively as a coaching staff, multi-millions of dollars, how much is the players worth? More than their scholarships.
Alright then, let them pay their own way through college and see how many wish they had their scholarship. You think the Lakers make $48 mil off of Kobe? No, they make way more. You will never make as much as your boss, get over it.

You're only put into these fake classes if you're a pathetic student. Those who work hard and actually go to class like they're suppose to are at an incredible advantage.

The only way players should receive compensation is by selling their own merchandise (used jerseys, signatures etc..). If they are talented enough to cause someone to pay for their signature then there's absolutely no reason that should be outlawed.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #35
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superxero27
Beyond all this though, there is another problem. Compare a student on a full-ride football scholarship to a student on a full-ride academic scholarship.

Both students are going to college "for free." Both students have to meet some sort of academic eligibility in order to maintain that scholarship. Both students have to balance class, extracurriculars, and everyday life.

The student on the academic scholarship can get a job wherever they want to bring in additional income to offset the costs of those things that aren't free (and there are a lot of those costs). The athlete cannot, either due to time/schedule constraints or NCAA eligibility rules. The academic student would be able to profit from their likeness if anyone were interested (for example publishing their research for a per-access fee). The academic student would be able to accept all kinds of other financial assistance from outside influences (since they don't have to report to the NCAA), whereas the athlete cannot.

When you realize that the full-ride athletes are probably more likely to come from poverty than the full-ride academics, and that (as the NCAA loves to point out) the vast majority of them will "go pro in something other than sports" you see the machinations of a flawed system. Allowing athletes similar access to profit from their likeness as a regular student would help address this imbalance. And it's not like the video game companies aren't willing to do so. EA is basically standing outside waving fistfulls of money begging to be let in.
No one said being an athlete was easy. I don't have as much spare time as my friends, I can't get a job because of practice, I have to cancel weekend plans because of games.. It comes with the house, it's hard to be a student-athlete, a lot of people can't handle it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #36
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
I hope you people realize that an NCAA game will never happen again. They would have to pay each player individually, meaning players from the power 5 conference colleges would get paid way more than the mid majors/ lower tiered schools. This will mess up recruiting terribly and put the mid majors/ lower schools at a huge disadvantage making college sports less competitive. If a top 10 quarterback recruit out of high school wants to go to Tulsa because its his hometown college, he wouldnt do it if they paid athletes because hed make way more money if he went to oklahoma or alabama. and also if a quarterback becomes a star at a college like Tulsa hed transfer the next season to an oklahoma or alabama so hed make way more money on endorsements and game license fees. Also if they try to even it out so that each player makes the same then the power 5 conference players would reject it asap because they feel they deserve way more money than the lower mid major players.
#1: There's no reason certain players would be paid more than others. They all have the same role in the game, and would receive the same compensation. The only difference is if they are the cover athlete. Madden works the same. Brady doesn't get a bigger chunk than Fitzpatrick just because he is a star.

Even in the O'Bannon lawsuit, the players getting more money were that face of the suit, the rest get equal cuts.

#2: I severely doubt Power 5 conferences would try to get their players paid more than others. The schools have plenty to deal with and how much a video game companies pays their players is the least of their concern.

The idea for pay is a stipend, not a contract. EA sends a letter asking to use the players name and likeness for $XX dollars, same is sent to every player. The player either accepts it, or doesn't. If they don't, they're not in the game. Its what they do in Madden. They don't take the time and negotiate a contract with each player, or each school, thats too much time invested. Its a "take it or leave it" deal. That's why even in madden, every once in a great while there #51 or #17...that player didn't sign the agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM27
No one said being an athlete was easy. I don't have as much spare time as my friends, I can't get a job because of practice, I have to cancel weekend plans because of games.. It comes with the house, it's hard to be a student-athlete, a lot of people can't handle it.
The old "you knew what you were getting into" idea. Many students really didn't realize it would be that difficult to make things work. They stick to the sport because they love it. Meanwhile their image, jerseys, and anything else they are on is sold for a huge profit. EA wants to pay them (and really, not even a lot) to be in the game. The amount each player would get is still almost nothing, but it could cover some meals and clothes for a little bit.

Major Boise State fan
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #37
Rookie

This my be a silly idea or something people wouldn't want. If the game must have real people in it then what if EA made 2017 with the kids drafted this year. Pay them to be in the game and make everyone else generic? Or do 2 years ago so you have kids from 2015 and 2016 in the game. Then allow you to cutom everything. In this case you would have real players and the game. This is just an idea that popped into my head. The downfall is you have last years team but you can always sim and then have them drafted but you would also be able to update the rest of the players if you wanted. HEck at this point I would buy it to have a new NCAA game.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #38
Rookie

EA is not going to jump through all those hoops to make another college football game. I wish they would, but this is too big of a legal quagmire to go to each school and player

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #39
Rookie

theepicman115's Arena

when I played (and still do play) NCAA games on my Xbox 360 (if NCAA 14 came out for next gen, I would have given away my 360 a long time ago and just have my ps4), I don't ever remember seeing EXACT representation of the players in real life. Yeah you saw the big name player's numbers, but they had a different name in game and just a generic face. How many players do you see that are quarterbacks, are white and has the number 2 on his jersey? Probably a lot.

Either way, I hope EA pays the players and sorts out a deal soon with the NCAA, schools, and conferences soon. Because I miss having a new college football game every year.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by theepicman115
when I played (and still do play) NCAA games on my Xbox 360 (if NCAA 14 came out for next gen, I would have given away my 360 a long time ago and just have my ps4), I don't ever remember seeing EXACT representation of the players in real life. Yeah you saw the big name player's numbers, but they had a different name in game and just a generic face. How many players do you see that are quarterbacks, are white and has the number 2 on his jersey? Probably a lot.

Either way, I hope EA pays the players and sorts out a deal soon with the NCAA, schools, and conferences soon. Because I miss having a new college football game every year.
It's not the names and faces. It's all the personal information like birthplace, height, weight, home state, etc. How many white QB's that are 6'0, 214 pounds, from Tyler Texas, wearing #2? Probably not many.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »