Home

you have to run the ball

This is a discussion on you have to run the ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2004, 08:44 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: you have to run the ball

I sucked at passing at first on this game. I play on heisman and being a Texas Tech fan i like to throw short passes all over the field and I throw the ball about 90% of the time. On 2004 I was great at the system, this year I couldn't get it down for awhile. I have finally figured out how to find the open reciever (when you've got five of them you've gotta have someone open) and how to put the right touch on the ball to avoid defenders. Since I throw short passes I don't struggle with swarms of db's making it to the ball before the throw is there. I've been getting good yards, and good completion percentages. One thing that has helped is that I have figured out is when to let the CPU catch the pass for me and when to control my own recievers.
Basically what I am trying to say is that you can run a good pass heavy offense on this game. You've gotta get into a rythm early and let it go from there. I'm definately not defending some of the obvious problems with this years passing system, I'm just helping encourage people to not give up. Once you get a good feel for the passing game you won't be quite as frustrated.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:07 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 6

Well thinking that 1000 plus visits were all done by people who were experiencing problems is a poor starting point. I am sure some of the 1000 are not having problems, but simply wanted to know what was causing problems for others. Example number one would be me, I am in this thread but not having the problems.

Again you are operating on the premise that the os community is tipped in the favor of realistic players, and I personally disagree. So we are not going to see eye to eye. As far as labeling is concerned, I personally cant relate to the problems you are having, so my assumption has to be that others with problems are doing something different than I am. Knowing I play a low risk, conservative, run/pass balanced offense, using play action after it has been established, knowing when to throw the ball away etc... leads me to believe the passing problems are more user than game ai or whatever else is claimed.

Opinions are like *******s and everyone has one, if you disagree with mine, more power to ya, life will go on.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

The only flaw I see in your theory is that I have run the ball 40+ times in a game before and there was still no passing game to be found.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:29 PM   #20
Banned

WIAggie's Arena

OVR: 3

Right and on top of that you can't use the same 10 playes over & over....you must mix it up
Old 07-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #21
D*tr**t F*nb*y

lionsfan49's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

fantasysportsguy said:
played football into college (so we know the game) are having problems also.

lol that means absolutely nothing. I know plenty of former college football players that either dont know much about football OR are horrible at video football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2004, 11:23 PM   #22
MVP

SportsAce's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

simgameonly said:
the run sets up the pass, wow you dont say

Old 07-17-2004, 01:11 AM   #23
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I just figured out at the end of my last game that the run does set up the pass. I tried hard to pass all game... passed much more than I usually would, but the running game got me a nice lead so I figured I'd try to work on my passing game and let my defense win it for me.

I ended 18 of 44 for 211 yards. My last five attempts were completions while trying to use play actions, runs, and even some draws to throw the defense off.

My gripe is tho, like other peoples', that not every team does this. You've got the Texas Tech's and the Hawaii's who do pass and pass and pass some more. I just can't seem to do that in this game.

That's how I played last year. I ran shot-gun most of the time and passed probably 60-65% of the time. Some teams play like that, but I can't do that on 05. I've got to revamp my whole style. Whether I'm going to like that or not, I dont know. But I guess if I want to play and win some games, I'm going to have to.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:43 PM   #24
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

lionsfan49 said:
Quote:

fantasysportsguy said:
played football into college (so we know the game) are having problems also.

lol that means absolutely nothing. I know plenty of former college football players that either dont know much about football OR are horrible at video football.

I said that as evidence that I actually do have some knowledge of how football works, and the strategies applied to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »